JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
got it pretty much finished

before:
2aegReZ.jpg
After:
O351lhK.jpg

They're back in stock - $99 for a cracked-stock Type 53 like the one Bolus bought above. I'm bummed because I don't even have the $99 right now. Maybe they'll have them again later.

<broken link removed>

I found a scope mount for the T53 that does not require any permanent modification to the rifle. It replaces the rear sight pins with bolts. allows you to still use the iron sites underneath the scope.

http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagan...-T53-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount-3844-SSM.html
Brass-Stacker-Mosin-Nagant-M38-M44-M53-T53-Scout-Scope-Mount-6-01-01.jpg

Since this puts the scope ahead of the receiver one would need a scope with a long eye relief like a scout scope or handgun scope.

Im going to use the Leupold FX2 scout for my project.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/

In cleaning mine I have gotten the bore at least as clean as any other firearm I own. What I mean by this is that a final swab with a patch and cleaner comes out pristine, as well as the drying patch and the oiling patches. Has anyone else experienced this? It has been this way almost since the first time I cleaned it after it arrived at my door. I thought this was odd as my understanding was that having a bore that was, for all intents and purposes, never clean as a whistle was an accepted part of owning any Mosin type rifle. I had one other mosin and it never was perfectly clean, no matter how long I scrubbed or what I used. The only things I have used to clean this one (metal parts only) are boiling water, Sweet's 7.62, Hoppe's #9, CLP, and cleaning brushes/patches.

In cleaning mine I have gotten the bore at least as clean as any other firearm I own. What I mean by this is that a final swab with a patch and cleaner comes out pristine, as well as the drying patch and the oiling patches. Has anyone else experienced this? It has been this way almost since the first time I cleaned it after it arrived at my door. I thought this was odd as my understanding was that having a bore that was, for all intents and purposes, never clean as a whistle was an accepted part of owning any Mosin type rifle. I had one other mosin and it never was perfectly clean, no matter how long I scrubbed or what I used. The only things I have used to clean this one (metal parts only) are boiling water, Sweet's 7.62, Hoppe's #9, CLP, and cleaning brushes/patches.

Yes, my bore looked brand new as well. Its like they used the stock to pound in nails but never shot it. The metal bits looked practically brand new.

hmm, The metal bits dont look too bad from the pics though hard to tell until you get them a part. The darker one looks like there just might be a lot of cosmoline on the stock and it could still clean up nicely. My upper hand guard looked like that but brightened right up with some mineral spirits to get off the cosmoline.

I have a spare t53 stock coming from liberty tree collectors that I was going to practice refinishing on.

If you cant clean up one of yours or it is too damaged, I'll send you which ever one that I have that is in good enough shape for you to use if you like (free of charge). Just let me know

I got to say I'm fairly disappointed in my two. One is real rough, The better looking of the two the barrel a shot out.

They do look rough, but I'm think the same thing as bolus, that darker stock looks like some really ground-in dirt and cosmoline. I'm curious how they'll both look apart from their stocks and cleaned of the cosmo residue.

BTW, my preferred method for removing cosmoline is to use boiling water, and, if necessary, just a very small amount of simple green. It works really well. I just disassemble the bolt and trigger assemble, drop them in a bowl of boiling hot water and simple green, then use a tooth brush to get all the gunk out. For the barrel, boiling hot water right down the pipe does a nice and quick job. If you don't have an electric kettle for boiling water, at $20 or less, it's a great investment for quick-boiling.

+1 on the boiling water and simple green.

It doesn't get absolutely all of the cosmoline out, but then I find the faint smell of it oddly attractive. Sort of like an old greasy truck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top