JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
totally off topic.. but sort of a funny story.

without a lot of background, i was a white country boy going to an urban school with a large black student body.

my buddy and i were in the bathroom. i dont remember what we were talking about, but i said something like, "yea, that's white trash for ya."

this black kid had walked in while i was in the middle of saying that, and he said, "what, you don't like the man, man?"

"huh?"

"you don't like white people?"

"uhh..."

"you said 'white trash' didn't you? you don't like the Man?"

i realized what had happened... and i said, "dude, i AM 'the Man,' in case you didn't notice."

he stared at me for a minute, and then we all went our separate ways.

funny how different words and phrases mean totally different things to different people.

Seriously. Some people are too sensitive anytime a color is mentioned. It's a saying, nothing more. Relax people!

I'm not uptight about it, I just feel that if it bothers me that black people bring race into anything, then I should hold myself to a standard that I believe in. I believe that these differences really have nothing to do with race, it's culture that makes up most of who we are. (To other people, especially. Looking in from outside.)

I can't appreciate dividing people in that way, and I don't feel that race is a reasonable classification. Nothing more.
See what I mean? I feel that if there is one factor that will turn racism around, for the most part, it will be when people realize that it's not race, it's culture that makes us different on a larger level than just physical characteristics.

Still, I don't want to associate with the term white trash. I won't put up with ignorant racial terms like that, just like any other member of many other "racial" groups will throw a hissy fit. Except I do it reasonably, without the hissy fit. :D Even if it's a joke, because usually that's all it takes.

I've never had a problem with another dog in my life until I was disc golfing with my dog trailing behind and a pitbull strolled up. It came about the same time a couple gentleman were passing by so I asked them to call their dog as it started getting aggressive towards my dog. They said it wasn't their dog and at that point it got scarry quick. This pit bull still had his man parts and he wanted my 1yr old female golden retriever bad. He seemed weary of me but still had no problem charging at me with my dog under my legs and took some good kicks from me in the process.

I have a cpl but wasn't carrying, I should have been but I wasn't. I'm almost glad I didn't because I am %100 sure I would have shot that dog. Not sure I would want to deal with the mess but at that point I could weigh the risk and easily justify shooting that dog. I ended up getting a branch about the thickness and length of a bat by luck and got him good a couple times. He still stalked me about a mile walk to my car dragging my dog in one hand and branch in the other. He would get speed and try to bite the back of my dogs head with the leash in my hand while I'm manuevering my dog away from it and yelling loud as I can. All these people were just watching too, no help from anyone. I was shook for a good 2hrs afterwards just wishing I would have been able to defend myself better. I felt like such a dimwitt for not carrying my pistol

Bottom line, had that dog been a different breed that whole thing wouldn't have happened. The PitBull breed and maybe just a few other less common breed dogs would have had the moxy to do what this dog was doing. It knew I was protecting my dog, knew I was in fend for my life mode and plain didn't care. I've been around all sorts of dogs my whole life and other breeeds just don't act like that. Pitbulls are a whole different animal. An aggressive, psychotic animal by nature. Just like Lions, Tigers and Bears. You can tame them but it only takes one senario to challenge that animals instincts and its on. People can be so ignorant...

If you see this dog, don't be alarmed, he'll just lick you to death. Seriously though, my biggest concern when going for a walk with my dog (on a leash) is some other dog -- pitbull, rotty, lab, bubblegumzu, whatever -- is latching on my dog and I have to take action.

b9afe873.jpg

I owned a pitbull for 15 years...I am also a 23 year UPS driver, I deal with thousands of dogs per year, and have yet to encounter a mean pitbull.

REally? You deal with thousands of dogs every 365 days? Sounds about as plausible as your theory on pitbulls being gentle loving dogs :s0129:

Pitbulls are fine until you get them around other dogs..... And yes they TRULY can be gentle and loving. Bruno was 100 LBS with a head the size of a basketball. A lap dog with a fierce tongue kiss....

Most Jack Russels are more aggressive than your average pit (Although smaller in general, still they behave every bit as aggressive if not worse in my experience). Ive had both, and used to breed Rottweilers.. another breed that gets a generalized bad rap... and they are GREAT dogs in my personal experience and having owned approaching 100 of them from pups to adults in my younger years, at the end of the day its (ANY DOG THAT IS) an animal...

An animal is an animal at its core regardless of domestication, and when you throw the uncertainty of how the dog was raised, you never really know what you're going to get with ANY breed.

I have a friend that has a really good looking golden retriever, well behaved (97 percent of the time) nice dog, happy... Well mannered and SMART... Get ANY other dog around it though and its over with.

The dog will fight ANY OTHER DOG... And hes a mean mufugger.

Because... Its an ANIMAL...

Howevever I digress, Not sure what I would have done in the situation... If Im getting bit, dogs getting shot though. Simple as that.

Nowe, I have a cat... An indoor cat. I loves me my K1TT3H :eek:)

Just my opinion but when your dealing with a large breed dog you should expect situations to arise that you may, or may not be able to control. I've seen gentle old Irish setters and labs snap at kids when you never expected it.
I put down a Rottweiler (an old friend) that had been a part of the family for over eight years,, his crime was snarling at the grand kids,,, twice.
Think of it like this,, if you hand your kids a handgrenade to pass around, at least you know how to show them where the pin is, and how not to pull it!
I totally agree that if confronted with a vicious dog and you feel an imminent threat to you or yours, use whatever means necessary to defend yourselves.

REally? You deal with thousands of dogs every 365 days? Sounds about as plausible as your theory on pitbulls being gentle loving dogs :s0129:

If you didn't notice, he said he was a UPS man. He would only need to deliver to 20 houses a week that had dogs to make 1040 encounters with dogs a year. That is less than 4 dog owning households a day during a 6 day work week. I think he might have exaggerated a little, but not much.

I have encountered many pitbulls that were very gentle and loving dogs....and many that were not. I also recently encounterd a small 5lb - 8lb terrier of some sort that was bold enough to run up to my two 60lb weimaraners like he was going to take us all on. If I had not pulled my dogs away they would have had a new chew toy. Point being....it is more about the socialization of the dogs than the breed as far as temperament goes. Pit Bull Terriers are simply more apt to do serious damage than many other breeds due to genetics. It is too bad that that dog had to be shot because the owner did not take on the responsabilities that are needed when owning (any)dogs.

I do an average of 130 delivery stops per day, of which about 100 are residential.

I encounter dogs at my residential stops between 10 and 20 times per day.

Taking the low figure of 10 per day, thats 50 per week X 48 weeks per year (not counting vacations) which comes to 2400 dog encounters per year...so yes I do in fact deal with "thousands of dogs per year."

I have been a UPS driver for 23 years now. I have been bitten twice in that time, once by a German Shepherd and once by a yippy little mutt. I have also had many hundreds of "close calls" where the dog was acting aggressive or even trying to bite me, but did not succeed.

In that 23 years, I have yet to encounter a pit bull that threatened me in any way. I'm not saying that all pit bulls are sweet and gentle...I'm just saying that all the ones I have dealt with so far have been sweet and gentle.

Here is a pic of two pit bulls on my route that I have been dealing with for several years now. These two are basically toungues with 75 lb pit bulls attached to them. Total lick-o-matics.

iwannadrive.jpg

iwannadrive2.jpg

The fact of the matter is that pit bulls are no more inclined to be aggressive towards people than any other breed of dog.

As a breed, they do have a tendency to be more aggressive towards other animals...but proper training and socialization can negate this. There is no shortage of real-world examples of properly trained pits that happily coexist with other dogs, as well as cats and other animals.

The media that we as gun owners detest for its biased and inaccurate take on 2nd Amendment issues has been equally biased and inaccurate when it comes to reporting the facts about pit bulls.

Pit bulls can be accurately compared to "assault weapons" in terms of how they are portrayed by the sensationalist media. Instead of facts, we get inaccurate and biased hype.

Comparing a pit bull to a Labrador is like comparing an AK-47 to a bolt-action hunting rifle. Both are guns, both can be abused and misused by sick twisted people, and both can kill or cause grevious injuries when used inappropriately. But at the end of the day, both are simply guns, and in and of themselves one is no deadlier than the other. It all boils down to the owner.

If you buy into the media hype about pitbulls, and are in favor of banning or regulating them, be careful....the same arguments you use to support that position can be turned around and used to support the "common sense" gun laws and "assault weapon" bans that we as gun owners fight so hard against.

I remember when growing up in Chicago, there was a falling down wire fence and a really terrifying junk yard dog that almost go me and my best friend. My friend's dad told the dog owner to tie up the dog or else... well, it happened again and the dog got a face full, of my lunch-box, which he promptly shredded. My buddies dad took a hot dog and put it on the end of his 12 gauge shotgun with a rubber band and went to meat the dog. The dog promptly chewed on the end of the barrel and lost his head. End of story. He's still my hero!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top