JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only thing I can see is a possable interference from what ever you have on the buffer tube, something torquing your charging handle just enough to slightly wear the upper finish!
Note, mine has several thousand trouble free rounds, no appreciable wear in the finish! Don't ever charge your rifle and let fly with the handle, always return the handle to it's locked position and use the bolt release to put the rifle in battery.
Besides the above mentioned interferences, I wonder if there is not enough clearence in the upper, all of mine, and every single AR/M-16/M-4 I have ever checked has plenty of thousandths (wobble) clearence between the CH and Upper!
PXL_20220516_005124896.MP.jpg
PXL_20220516_005101157.jpg

@Richo877 @sobo @Reno @Flopsweat @1775usmc
I really appreciate all the input. It gives me a good place to start from. Stupid is as stupid does but I bought another Aero BCG and another radian CH, I'll grab a mil spec one too. Can't get out for a couple weeks but will let you know what I come up with.
I really like both of these company's products but I will say they're not the best on customer service. This experience has made me start a folder for receipts and unfortunately keep the boxes…
Once again, great forum and I truly do appreciate all the input.

Weird, that wear doesn't look all that deep, you can clearly see the etching through the anodizing still, so it's very minor! I have the exact same charging handle in a few carbines, nary an issue with any of them, something is off in your upper, ether the handle groove is a little too tight or maybe the coatings a bit too thick, ether way, that wear isn't bad at all!
I have that same CH too, and it shows very little wear after hundreds of manual cycles.

I get wear like that on the sides of mine because I pull pretty aggressively. Not as much wear, but similar and fairly quickly

I once had an out of spec end plate that sat too high above the receiver, and would actually squeeze the charging handle between it and the receiver. Mine was so bad that the CH would have to be manually push it back in position. it had wear similar to yours. Random, yes I know, but it took me a while to figure it out.

tumblr_nc492nYh3K1tf38a4o1_1353_1847a5b8-fbdf-4070-af94-0dfac0cf4e32__95513.1535611232.jpg

If you lay the charging handle on a flat surface, can you tell if it is bowed? I used to work for an outfit that used cheap Chinese charging handles in the builds. Once in awhile after building a rifle and while I was function testing them, they would feel gritty and put off the "friction" smell. Most of the time it was because the charging handles were warped

It's only the top most portion missing ano. Seeing this, I'm going to bet it's how you are pulling on it.

Oil it and try to pull straight back, not upward.
This ^^^

The only place without wear is where the gas key holds the charging handle down.
Therefore I'd rule out the gas key being a problem.

The failure to feed mentioned in the original post is another problem to solve.

Pull off the upper and pull out the BCG.

Run just the handle upside down.

Does it run free? If not replace.

Does it bind on the gas tube in the forward position? When it locks in? If so, tweak the tube slightly with large flat head (gentle). If it works just run it.

Add the BCG back in the mix and run it upside down.

If its all looking good work on your straight back charging technique and dont worry!

Whatever the cause, in my limited experience one of the spare parts I've kept around is a new charging handle. The plain, old original type, nothing fancy. It's not appreciated that they are a somewhat fragile part when you get right down to it. It's a lot easier to bend one of these than a BCG. It's a cheap part to keep as a spare.

Whatever the cause, in my limited experience one of the spare parts I've kept around is a new charging handle. The plain, old original type, nothing fancy. It's not appreciated that they are a somewhat fragile part when you get right down to it. It's a lot easier to bend one of these than a BCG. It's a cheap part to keep as a spare.
True words! I have a coupe dozen of the mil-specs lyin' around, since every AR of mine gets a new CH almost as soon as it gets home...

every AR of mine gets a new CH almost as soon as it gets home...
Yes, they are just about like changing wiper blades on your vehicle. They are a routine maintenance item. The other thing I keep on hand as a spare, the bolt cam pin. To my observation, this part receives more visible wear than any other piece on the gun.

Friction isn't a thing with my two remaining AR's. Since I live in a pretty dust free area, I keep them very well lubed with generous quantities of LSA. This also makes them much easier to clean, as a lot of the combustion residue goes into the lube rather than onto metal surfaces. If I lived in a dusty place, I would have a dry rifle.

Last Edited:
Is the gas tube aligned correctly? I have build a few ARs where it used a standard barrel nut so the gas tube needs timed correctly. Other builds I have done had a smooth barrel nut iwith a set of holes on the bottom instead and wasn't an issue except and that hand guard included the barrel nut and a socket wrench.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads