JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
Just thought I would ask if anyone would know the reasoning behind my charging handle wearing like this?
Back story: Factory built Aero upper, new in box Aero BCG and new in box Radian CH. I would fire one round and it would not engage the next round. I would have to take BCG apart and the same thing would happen. So, thinking it's a faulty BCG? If that's the case I just have never seen wear or damage to a CH like that.
New BCG and CH on the way. But just thought I would throw it out there to the pros ;)
EC7A0090-902E-4A16-9FA4-9977B09772C5.jpeg

Hard to decipher what you are trying to say about not engaging the next round and you has to take the bolt carrier group apart each time?

But if that means you were having feeding issues and you had to manually cycle a round each time using the charging handle. Depending on how many times you had to manually cycle the gun, this is likely just wear from that.

Hard to decipher what you are trying to say about not engaging the next round and you has to take the bolt carrier group apart each time?

But if that means you were having feeding issues and you had to manually cycle a round each time using the charging handle. Depending on how many times you had to manually cycle the gun, this is likely just wear from that.
I manually cycle my AR's all the time and that looks like excessive wear to me. I doubt the Aero upper is out of spec, although it's not impossible. If the gas key is too high or low, the CH can drag. Or if something is causing a lot of drag and you are pulling up and back on the CH, you could cause wear like that. Not making accusations, just thinking out loud.

I manually cycle my AR's all the time and that looks like excessive wear to me. I doubt the Aero upper is out of spec, although it's not impossible. If the gas key is too high or low, the CH can drag. Or if something is causing a lot of drag and you are pulling up and back on the CH, you could cause wear like that. Not making accusations, just thinking out loud.
That or a bad anodized part.

You can reach out to Radian. Good luck with their customer service though. Haha

Thanks @Reno and @Flopsweat
I just didn't get it, I have had great luck with Aero, just never had this problem…Yes, would have to manually cycle it. But here's the thing, that CH was brand new, that's only about 15 rounds wear?!
I bought a new BCG and CH and will try it. But if it fails again, well, I don't know…
Threw away my receipts so Aero told me to pound sand

I just didn't get it, I have had great luck with Aero, just never had this problem…Yes, would have to manually cycle it. But here's the thing, that CH was brand new, that's only about 15 rounds wear?!
I bought a new BCG and CH and will try it. But if it fails again, well, I don't know…
The ano on that charging handle is definitely bad if that's only 15 rounds….. is there any markings/wear on the inside of the upper receiver where the charging handle is wearing? Tolerances may be off on the upper or the charging handle.

I'm not near you or I'd have a look if you wanted. There's probably someone on this board who would though. Is there unusual resistance when cycling the gun? Any difference between when it's empty or loaded?

edit: typo

Last Edited:
@1775usmc I looked at the upper today and there was no wear on it what so ever. Cleaned it and lubed it a little. Maybe I'm paranoid but I will say that after cycling the CH 5/6 times empty, I thought I could smell friction so to say. Just haven't got the chance to shoot it again.
@Flopsweat Mo unusual resistance at all? Functions as normal.

@1775usmc I looked at the upper today and there was no wear on it what so ever. Cleaned it and lubed it a little. Maybe I'm paranoid but I will say that after cycling the CH 5/6 times empty, I thought I could smell friction so to say. Just haven't got the chance to shoot it again.
@Flopsweat Mo unusual resistance at all? Functions as normal.
If there's no resistance, try the stock charging handle if you still have it. If it doesn't wear like that, I'm going to go with @Reno 's bad anodizing idea.

Without any more to go on than what's in your OP, I tend to side with @Flopsweat that it could be a gas key set too high. I had a similar thing happen with a NIB BCG and a Bravo Company Mfg. charging handle. Would take out the BCM CH and that same CH would work fine on many of my other ARs. Put it back in with that BCG - no dice. Tried milspec CHs with that BCG - again, no dice. Concluded it was the gas key riding too high. Turns out it was. Never ran into that before or since...

What happens when you swap out the Radian CH for a milspec one? Still binding up?

Without any more to go on than what's in your OP, I tend to side with @Flopsweat that it could be a gas key set too high. I had a similar thing happen with a NIB BCG and a Bravo Company Mfg. charging handle. Would take out the BCM CH and that same CH would work fine on many of my other ARs. Put it back in with that BCG - no dice. Tried milspec CHs with that BCG - again, no dice. Concluded it was the gas key riding too high. Turns out it was. Never ran into that before...

What happens when you swap out the Radian CH for a milspec one? Still binding up?
You'd think there'd be scrape marks underneath the CH from the GK if it were set too high…..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top