JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What term do you like best?

• Prepper

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Survivalist

• Other

• I don't care, I just don't want to be the idiot who dies.

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
Anyone in the Central Oregon area a prepper/survivalist? I've lived here most of my life and have yet to meet one, though not surprising since it's a fairly new concept to go mainstream (Seen the TV show anyone?). I don't wear a prepper t-shirt or wave a "Mylar Bag" flag around on the street so I guess we aren't exactly easy to spot. I personally don't like the term "prepper" since nowadays with that show and YouTube experts everyone is either a prepper or thinks they are crazy. I also wonder about the term "Survivalist" which I think is better suited to people who don't want to die for lack of planning... but unfortunately the media has hijacked that term as well with all of the school shootings and the people who own an AR-15 being called crazy survivalists.

Just curious to see if there are in like minded people in my area. I did some searching and there are a few groups in the area... just not sure how legit they are or how comfortable I am meeting in the back of a pizza hut or something. I've only just recently gotten my wife to stop calling me "weird" for wanting to stock some extra food in the pantry. I personally have only been seriously "prepping" for maybe the last year, though I've always been a planner and a strategic thinker and deduced that something was bound to happen many many years ago. Not sure when, where, or what it will be but there are just too many unknowns and faults in the way we've built up our society for some sort of collapse of our Country to not happen. I mean if you look at any number of areas be it economics, transportation, energy, security, natural disasters or the countless other vulnerable cogs in our society that are now impossible to live and function without it becomes pretty obvious that at some point something will go wrong that will force us to adapt or change the way we live. I hope that day does not come, but I'd rather be prepared for it than not.

Anyways I could go on and on about this and that, but back to my main point of like minded people in Central Oregon. If there are any of you out there I'm interested, be it a group, online club, whatever just PM me and let me know. Or feel free to reply to my ramblings with your own.

I like to be prepared. In Central Oregon, most of what I am being prepared for is natural disasters. My family has both been displaced and hosted displaced people during wildfires. While this may not mean quite the stores that you see on the national geographic channel, it means enough food to last a few weeks to a month, water, and other items. I wouldn't mind expanding that some, but currently finances don't allow.

but I keep an extremely low profile and I think most others do as well.
Yep. Attitudes and 'styles' of prepping are a little different in Central Oregon as opposed to say, the Portland area and can vary according to one's personal environment and lifestyle.

Southern Oregon Survival in Grants Pass is having a meet and greet this Saturday, May 18th at 4:15 PM. I figure it's a good way to meet and also check out some folks at a neutral location.

growing up in florida we called it smart. not really sure why this term has even come around unless its because the vast majority of people dont keep emergency supplies at home anymore. even when a hurricane was coming our way the stores would be cleared out but no one was really without. i couldnt imagine what it would be like if a disaster hit the portland metro area. probably safe to say there would be lots of starvation and murder. always have 50 lbs of rice at all times here plus pastas, meat and other assorted items. something my friends say is crazy but when i go to their homes, they dont even have a meal in the fridge. kinda makes me think they are crazy.

My uncle, who recently passed, lived in Prineville since leaving the Navy after WW2. He didn't have a title, but he and his buddys were big on really full pantrys and lots of ammo on hand. They were gun collectors and shooters too. I know that they were doing this stuff when I was born in the late '40s. Long tradition of self sufficiency east of the mountain.

PPL (like the dreamy Bruce Cambell) who come from rural backgrounds normaly have gardens which demand canning or freezing. A large garden may require an extra day or so of canning but the pay-off is worth the effort.
There is nothing like the feeling one gets from a small mountain of fire wood and a pantry that is totaly stocked with home grown goodness. It's yours, you made it and it is going to keep you fed and warm for the next 10 months. It's the feeling of security for your loved ones.

Looking forward to meeting fellow preppers in the Cent Or. area. Moving to the East side of the mountains (hopefully soon) with primary focus around the Prineville area. I'm familiar with that area as I graduated from there many,many years ago. It'll be nice to get back to a quieter life... Easier for a prepper too.

SOG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads