JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have various Nokia's in our family all running Windows - have been more reliable and better integrated (we use Windows on PC's & tablets) than either Apple or Android.

Sadly, it looks like Microsoft is pulling out of the phone game just as their Windows platform has gotten much better.

My soldier son is deployed on foreign soil again (happily not Afghanistan this time). This time he's actually near wifi almost daily, so we're able to text, swap pics and even facetime. I find it super handy to have that in my pocket whenever he's randomly available. His wife and infant son in the US dig it too.

You sir, receive a pass and may sit/stand/walk with thumbs a blur at any time! Just don't walk in front of a MAX train! :D Thank your son for his service!

Mikej,
Those are some of the reasons I don't have a cell phone.
i have seen too many folks involved with their or tablet etc ... and totally ignoring the world around them.
Plus I have enough frustrations in my life already , why add another?
Things like no service or having a phone thats too smart for me , or the item not working for whatever reason etc...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there without one.
Andy

My cell phone spends 99.9% of my day sitting in my pockets - that is, when I am not sleeping (then it is in my headboard).

I have a cell phone because then I can be reached more easily. When you have an adult child that mainly communicates with you via text messages or email, it is nice to have that capability.

I live out in the boonies, so it can be nice to check with someone while still in town, to see if I need to do something while in town, also to get messages anywhere - even when I am out walking in the woods. When you have family members who are elderly and/or infirm, that can be a good thing. It is also nice to know that if I hurt myself while working on the property, it is likely I can call for help.

Being borderline Aspergers, I also dislike talking on the phone, so I prefer texting or email. My workplace doesn't allow access to gmail, so it is nice to be able to check it on my phone.

For me, it is cheaper than a landline and I have it with me all the time, so if it is important people can get ahold of me.

I can block telemarketer calls by blocking their area code, area code and prefix or the whole number. I haven't had a landline in over 15 years so I am not sure whether you can do that with a landline now or not, but when I got my first cell phone, you couldn't.

Thanks Mikej. I work downtown, and I hate encountering "human" traffic jams just getting on an off elevators because hypnotized cyber zombies in earbuds have no idea I'm trying maneuver around them.

My wife got a smartphone years ago. She always pushed the "features and capabilities" on me as convenience. I finally caved and got an iphone 4. Two months later it was tossed in the drawer because someone else deemed control over what "I" wanted to install into it or do with it.

If I could find a smartphone sized device that takes good quality pictures, that had phone capability, and a memo pad, I would be hippy.

I still have all my wireless devices dating back to the Motorola Bag Phone. IMO, analog is the only way to go in our corrupt data breaching times.

Mine is paid for by my employers, as I conduct HUGE amounts of commerce with my iPhone-6s for my work, with emails, texting, GPS navi, notepads, photo up/downloading, and I use it for surfing the web (like right now typing this), as well as (occasional) entertainment with a few games, music, and videos.

My employers even also pay to have the cell/data services work when I'm out of the country, it's pretty damned cool to have real-time communication at your fingertips with your minions that are working on your projects when you're on vacation in Australia!

Luddites!
dcr0656l.jpg

Like that cartoon Larrytpdx. It was pretty funny.
( Not picking on you or anyone else in this post. )

In my case I like older things : Muzzleloaders , books , blued steel and wood stocks , stick and string archery etc...
I'm not anti-technology however. After all I drive a car , use a computer , really like my GoreTex when its rainy and cold outside etc ...
I do dislike the over reliance on some " tech" items : Knowing how to use a GPS , but not understanding how to use a map , compass and protractor comes to mind.

As I've said before I get why people have and use them.
Nor do I have problem with folks using them.
I just don't really have a need for a cell phone with my lifestyle.
This works for me ...
Andy

Last Edited:
Old iPhone 4s, still works great and all I need.
Oops, I forgot, wife just got an iPhone 5s, it does make my 4s seem slow as a dinosaur!
Not one of the fast carnivorous ones, either!

Not caring what folks use, or don't, but if you grow a phone on your face its on you!

Last Edited:
iPhone 6s. Paid for by the employer, needed throughout the day for emails, texts, photos, maps, etc. I'm also allowed to use it for personal use, so long as it doesn't interfere with work. What I rarely use it for is calls - I'm one of those strange folks that hates to talk on the phone - I would rather type/text or talk in person - phone calls just don't work for me. At home, the wife has a standard phone, though we'll probably get her a smart phone sometime this year. She does have a wifi only iPad that she really likes.

I've also got a work paid iPad, also important to my job - taking notes, reviewing documents/drawings on job sites, etc. Good tools to have on hand. The days of large rolls of paper prints in construction are starting to pass by in favor of all digital. Makes collaboration, sharing documents and notes on the fly so much easier.

Iphone 6s

Smart phones are the handiest little things ever! Remember on Star Trek and the communicator? Only thing that I cannot do is beam me up.
For me I am constantly being asked questions about prices and parts availability.
I do like the iphone allot but ive noticed a pattern with several now. I use them allot. and after about 20 months the battery slowly declines. BUT I have replaced the battery in a couple of them not. The kits are on Amazon, and its pretty simple to do.
I do have a case that has a small battery back up, that gives me a full charge and a half if needed. And the case is no larger than the standard Otter box case.

Pre smart phone days I had almost zero contact with family members in other states. The occasional email or phone call. BUT now, I can keep in constant contact with them via texting. Its awesome!

I was reading about the new iphone, and lack of the audio jack. I wear ear buds allot (never to loud to hear what's going on around me). No way, what are they thinking. Well the new ear buds are going to be wireless. I would love that! I constantly have the tangle hassle going on.

I call my cell phone my electronic leash. My cell phone is imperative to my job. I must be able to respond 7x24 the weeks I am on call. Samsung S7.

I use Andriod. Can't stand Apples one way policy with music and aps. If I pay for an album I should be able to load it onto whatever devices I own . Not just 2 registered apple devices.

I use IXQUICK for internet search and browsing.
Only good search engine I've found that doesn't track you're history and sell it to other agencies.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews