Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by enjr4, May 18, 2012.

1. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

What do you all do with old cell phones? I have an old flip phone that is in great shape. It has a new memory chip (put the old one in my new phone) and house and car chargers.
    Seems like a waste to just throw it away.
    Ed

2. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

Don't throw away!
    Three options:
    1. Save and keep for emergency 911 calls. They, by law, have to always connect with 911. Delete all your personal information first, in case it gets stolen. You can keep it in your car or by your bedside.
    2. Donate to charitable organizations that give them to needy people for 911 calls mentioned above.
    3. Sell on ebay or craigslist. People buy these because their phone died.
    Blue Skies!

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use my old smartish phone as a music server in the car (works the same as an Ipod but will store WAV files) and as a camera. The uses hers to play music on her excersize bike.

4. bignrich

bignrich Dallas New Member

I heard on the radio this morning Verizon is giving gift cards for qualifying phones.

5. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

There's a website...I think it's called Gazelle? that buys old cell phones and electronics. Also, I think there is several donation programs. Or you could just shoot it...that's pretty satisfying!

6. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I've donated a couple to a women's shelter and a couple to an organization that gave them to vets.

SquackDaddy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

shoot em

8. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

What do we do with our old cell phone?

We use it, that's what we do with it. It works fine, if we gave it away then we'd have to buy a new one! It's an early LG picture phone. It does have internet capabilities, but we've never used it for that we have a computer at home, besides that would cost more.

I don't understand why everyone needs to throw something away just because another model of the same thing comes out.

Oh, it's because the adds tell you, "YOU NEED THIS NEW PHONE".
    Yeah.

Mike

9. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

Because many people today NEED a modern phone, and others just love the ease and fun of new technology. Flip phones are very nice but in business nearly everyone needs a smart, or high quality phone. I would be dead in the water half the time if I could not have internet on my phone. The ability to take good photos or videos and email, text or upload them to an online server is very handy. I love the fact that I can look at what I am working on, take a picture, and text it to whomever I need it to to help them get the correct part for me. I can scan a barcode to instantly see if the store I am at has the best price. I can watch movies or TV when I am bored or waiting. Listen to thousands of different radio stations.

No one NEEDS an AR 15 or a 1911 or a Glock when we have "perfectly" good black powder muskets and handguns.

BTW, if it is a good phone, donate it. The SD cards are very handy to keep information on.

10. 4m503

4m503 Tigard Member

use it as a back up phone, if you ever break or soak your phone your going to be without a phone untill your service provider sends you a new one. in the anodizing industry there is nothing like having a cell phone that can take an 8mp picture to send it to customers, coworkers, boss, friends. or donate to the phones for vets organization.

11. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

I try to have a phone laying around as a back up, I can't tell you how many times I broke my only phone and scrambled to find a temporary phone.

12. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I keep my old ones for emergencies, and it has come in handy several times for my family.

13. blk04specv

blk04specv Hillsboro Member

Take the gold out of it first then donate it.

14. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

i still have a nokia 5100 phone
    keep it in the car for 911 you never know when you might need it

15. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

Donate it to who? The landfill. Remove the gold, about $0.40, that is in there, and it won't work. There are many charities that can use a good phone, many mentioned already. Why ruin it for a can of pop.

16. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

I don't know about other shelters but this one takes phones: pwcl.org/donate/donate-used-cell-phones/
    Also Multnomah County will take them at the following: Cell Phone Recycling | Multnomah County

I realize some of you are outside Portland, but I would imagine you will have similar options...