JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK here's the deal I wan't a phone that is a smart phone like an iPhone or Android but I don't want to pay for 3G 4G crap. I do want to be able to surf in Wifi hotspots.

I'm a phone newb, is there a Smart phone a can hack/Jailbreak/unlock or whatever to accomplish this goal?

Mostly I don't want to pay the Cell company extra dollars for web that I rarely use but be able to surf just like I do on my Ipod Touch in hotspots, I'm tired of carrying two devices.

As an old hacker the technical part won't be the problem but knowing what is the best possible phone to pick up is.

I have T mobile voice only currently and I do not want to sign up for any data plan. I want to keep a phone only plan and leach Wifi when it is available so I would like to know my options.

Currently I have a regular sim card cell phone with no Data, just voice, and an IPod Touch, what I want to do is go from carrying two devices to one device without increasing my phone bill cost.

Depends on who your service provider is.

For example, SPRINT tacks on a extra $10 even if your phone isn't 4G. This only applies to Sprint smart phones though, like the blackberrys, etc... jailbreaking your phone is a option if you don't care about voiding your warrenty. If you want a decent smartphone to browse the internet with, then you're going to end up paying for it. There's no way around it.

T-Mobile lists the <broken link removed> as supported device, with T-Mobile data being "Optional", and its not even 3G capable. I doubt you'd want that specific iPaq, but you can find a newer model. I'd see if I could find one on a trial basis, pop your SIM chip in and see if it works. If you buy it through T-Mobile, they might force a data plan on you. For instance, I bought a Blackberry through Verizon, and not only did I have to purchase a data plan, I had to purchase the Blackberry specific unlimited data plan. So yea, see if you can find it independently, and just don't let T-Mobile know you got it. That worked for me with a Motorola upgrade I bought on Cingular's network.

How much is your current cell plan or are you doing prepaid? How many minutes a month do you need?

If you want a smart phone, you're going to have to pay for data one way or another.

Probably the least expensive option is Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus and their $25 monthly plan with gives you 300 minutes of talk a month and unlimited texts and data. I have that phone on Sprint and it is a great little phone. It does have WIFI, but with unlimited data I generally don't use that.

Buy either an iphone out any android phone from tmobile. They don't require you to get a data plan. I had an unlocked iphone on tmobile for 3 years without data. Check out craigslist for phones.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Sorry, was using an ipad, which takes forever to type. One that I can think of off the top of my head is the Kin 2

then it's just like typing on the iPod touch, taking a long time to type. I didn't know about the Kin2 because my personal interest in microsoft products is pretty low. I'm surprised this isn't classified as a "smart" phone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top