JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Benny's right, and the examples you posted are merely the exceptions that prove the rule. People get hit by meteors every year too, but it's not something that I think is worth prepping for.

According to Gary Kleck, >90% of armed civilian encounters with BG's end with NO shots being fired. I understand (but can't find a reference) that 90% of the small fraction of encounters that DO end in shootings are concluded after ONE shot being fired.

But you need to do what you're comfortable with. Me, I have a background in statistics, so I think that driving defensively, losing those extra pounds, and getting regular cardio workouts are far, far, FAR more significant than the difference between carrying 5 .38spl in a snubbie and carrying 19+1 of 9X19 in a G19.

If that's the way you feel about statistics, then why carry at all. Violent crime rate in OR/WA is about 300 per 100,000. That's a less than 0.3% chance of the possibility of having to draw your weapon.

:s0155: I love duplicitous arguments.

The point is, it's like insurance. If you HAVE to shoot someone, you HAVE to stop them. Which basically means firing and making hits until they STOP. If you never have to take a single shot, that's great. If it only takes a single shot, fine. But I'm not about to "hope" I have enough rounds. It's better to have them and not use them, than need them and not have them.

For whatever gun you carry, make sure you have extra ammo on you (a mag, speedloader, speed strip, loose rounds, whatever). You might need them.

As for the rest, my thoughts are that most guns I use for CCW are of similar size and ammo capacities. I reload, shoot, and have the most experience with .45. And a heavier weight bullet (given similar velocities) will nearly always penetrate deeper and retain more mass through barriers. This is why I chose .45. It's the biggest, typically best penetrating, with low recoil handgun round.

You start talking full size guns, the difference in ammo capacity seems less relevant than the size and comfort of the gun. Double stack .45s get pretty big.

If that's the way you feel about statistics, then why carry at all.
:s0155:

Because, as I said, I KNOW something about statistics. What many here are saying is commonly described as "letting the perfect become the enemy of the good."

I've been driving a car for 38 years and have never been in a serious accident, but that doesn't change my chances - or my commitment to wearing my seat belt.

And BTW, that 0.3% per year stat is for a population sample that actuarially is far different from my circumstances - and probably yours too, for that matter. So do what you feel is right, since YMMV.

I prefer the full size 1911 .45 ACP! I find the single stack magazine allows for a more slender frame and a less uncomfortable inside the waistband carry.

To quote Clint Smith, "Yes, its a big gun when I carry it. It's a big gun when I take it out, too."

There is a lot to be said for the dependability of the 1911 and the stopping power of the .45acp.

The 100th aniversary of the 1911 is coming up, so I thought I would get one for just that reason. Steven Segal has used one in his movies, so I thought I would get one for that reason. My buddy carries one in his saddle bag of his Harley, so I thought I would get one for that reason. Hmmmm. I just bought one today. And now I can ride my Harley with it in my saddle bag and shoot like Segal all the way through 2011! Wheeee! :s0114: :s0112: :D :s0155:

It mattersl not, as any will serve with the right bullet. If you get in a fight and need your pistol, the most driving force to ending the fight is your hits.

The 5 shots in a J frame may be just fine as long as you can place those shots well. In my experience (25 year military firearms instructor and now a LEO) very few who carry guns can hit center mass of a human size target when both parties (you and bad guy) are moving and under extreme stress. If you practice this skill you will be well served.

If you have never done a force on force class I recomend one. As stated being in good physical shape can be of great benefit.

Pick a pistol that is reliable fires an adequate round and you can shoot well. Then practice with it until it is second nature to you, then shoot it under stress, then have it with you at all times.

Any handgun carried for self defence is a compromise. Arguing the merits
of a 10mm versus a 9mm versus a .45 ACP or .357 Magnum is overlooking
the fact that in a situation where firepower is necessary, anything less
than a slide action 12 Gauge shotgun is less than desireable.

Whatever handgun I may be using in a sticky situation is much less
firearm than I really want to have at my hands at that moment. Thus
a hand canon that one is unable to shoot accurately is a delusion of
safety and that can be more dangerous than a mouse gun that one
shoots well.

Carry what you are willing to practice with and is comfortable in the
carry positions where you have to have it. Rest comfortably knowing
that you have made the best compromise possible for the situation.

I believe this comes back to the purpose of a handgun as well stated by
Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch: "The handgun would not be my choice of
weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an
RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

I am new to this forum so I am sure this has been said elsewhere and
before.

-sbc

Single stack .45 1911 Lightweight commander carries best for me. I've had them all 9, 40, Glocks, HKs, Sigs, ect. Always go back to my 1911, .45. Mostly because it feels the best in my hand. Grip conceals better, because it's slimmer. I've always heard, "carry the biggest gun that you can reliably hit your target with". If you can't shoot a .45 well, then step it down to 9mm. They make a 9mm 1911 too.

9mm: light weight (carry more ammo), popular round, cheap to buy, high capacity magazines (glock).

And at the end of the day, the guy who gets shot in the body mass with a 9mm SXT will like it as little as he would a 40 or 45 caliber.:s0155:

Pick a pistol that is reliable fires an adequate round and you can shoot well. Then practice with it until it is second nature to you, then shoot it under stress, then have it with you at all times.

Man, where were you at the beginning of this thread? We could've cut through all the chaff with this one simple paragraph.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top