JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ummm... speed, 9mm factory is fast, 45 is slower, slower is be good for not over-penetrating, and the 45 has more energy (knockdown power) but i carry both equally... 9mm glock 17 or SA 1911. they are both full size. to me, physical size of the weapon was a large factor, small is comfortable, but short barrel = less accuracy at farther ranges, and yes i know everybody, we aren't shooting 50 yds for self defense in most situations, but i personally would rather have a large frame weapon for the accuracy category. you can always ask yourself why LE and military dont use pocket guns for their jobs.

The next question should be, AR-15 VS. AK-47? Your thoughts?

Welcome to NWFA!

Lefty.

The next question should be, AR-15 VS AK-47 VS AK-74?

Personally I carry a Taurus PT-145, 10+1 will hopefully be enough although I also carry two full spare mags.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

The next question should be, AR-15 VS AK-47 VS AK-74?

Personally I carry a Taurus PT-145, 10+1 will hopefully be enough although I also carry two full spare mags.

How about, AR-10 VS AR-15 VS AK-47 VS AK-74?

Deen, joking aside, what kind of mag pouch do you carry your spare mags in?

Lefty.

I either Carry a 9mm glock 26, or a 45acp SA 1911, or a 38spcl s&w J frame revolver, or beretta px4 storm 9mm, or a 38spcl derringer, or a 9x18 makarov, or a .357mag python revolver, etc etc etc...

The only real answer to which is best is what you are the most comfortable with.
Some people have taken 17 rounds of 40 center mass and lived long enough to fight back, other people have taken one shot of 22lr and died almost instantly.

I understand the arguments for both the hi-cap nines and the whompin' .45. What I don't get is how so many LE ended up with a compromise like the .40 that fills neither role particularly well.

Anybody ever hear of the Law of the Excluded Middle?

As for why LE don't use pocket guns, it's because they don't carry concealed. Not for their primaries, anyway.

I understand the arguments for both the hi-cap nines and the whompin' .45. What I don't get is how so many LE ended up with a compromise like the .40 that fills neither role particularly well.

Anybody ever hear of the Law of the Excluded Middle?

As for why LE don't use pocket guns, it's because they don't carry concealed. Not for their primaries, anyway.

The .40 was designed to take over the 10mm...FBI adopted the 10mm for more "takedown" but too many officers were complaining of the recoil. They wanted a compromise and the .40 was invented....other LEO agencies basically followed suit.

I, too, think that the .45 ACP does a fine job as is...but there are things that can also be said for the .357 Sig as well.

As for the LE comment, I guess if you'll believe that then I've got some Ocean-front property in Arizona as well...

As for the LE comment, I guess if you'll believe that then I've got some Ocean-front property in Arizona as well.

:huh:
I wouldn't carry a pocket gun either, if I didn't have to keep it concealed. Then the capacity becomes moot, as I'd have 15+1 of .45 in a package that's not only easier to shoot, it also gives better muzzle velocity.

The question is simply, in a concealable package, what's best? And it'll never have one answer, I understand that. But we still have to wrestle the 9's capacity versus the .45's whomp. Neither one is easy to master in a small gun given the short sight radius. Me, I chose the whomp over the round count. YMMV.

Haha! Thanks everyone!

Also, I know the difference between a clip and mag :) I actually posted this from my phone while at work and I slipped up.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the advice. From what I gather, my best bet would be comfort + training. So if I'm shooting a p22 or a s&w 500 doesn't really matter as long as I can land the shot.

Am I wrong there? I ask the "duh" questions because there is a difference between what I hear, and what people with experience tell me. That's why we have teachers.

For personal defend you wouldn't need anything over 5 rounds unless you get into gang fight... which i doubt because responsible CHP will walk away from gang sistuation once we see things start to head the wrong direction. You can carry anything from 22 LR to 454 bull casual if you can carry them comfortble daily... remember something is better then nothing... carry something that you can trust your life with and it bang everytime you pull the trigger.... if you have it carry on you :)

For personal defend you wouldn't need anything over 5 rounds unless you get into gang fight... which i doubt because responsible CHP will walk away from gang sistuation once we see things start to head the wrong direction. You can carry anything from 22 LR to 454 bull casual if you can carry them comfortble daily... remember something is better then nothing... carry something that you can trust your life with and it bang everytime you pull the trigger.... if you have it carry on you :)

Sure.

<broken link removed>

And another more infamous with only two people:
* William Matix: Killed after being shot six times.
* Michael Platt: Killed after being shot 12 times.

The answer is which one you can put more accurate shots down range in a few seconds. For me it's a .45, I can recover from the slower recoil a little faster than a 9mm and a LOT faster than a .40/.357 sig.

Sure.

<broken link removed>

And another more infamous with only two people:

Benny's right, and the examples you posted are merely the exceptions that prove the rule. People get hit by meteors every year too, but it's not something that I think is worth prepping for.

According to Gary Kleck, >90% of armed civilian encounters with BG's end with NO shots being fired. I understand (but can't find a reference) that 90% of the small fraction of encounters that DO end in shootings are concluded after ONE shot being fired.

But you need to do what you're comfortable with. Me, I have a background in statistics, so I think that driving defensively, losing those extra pounds, and getting regular cardio workouts are far, far, FAR more significant than the difference between carrying 5 .38spl in a snubbie and carrying 19+1 of 9X19 in a G19.

Am I wrong there? I ask the "duh" questions because there is a difference between what I hear, and what people with experience tell me. That's why we have teachers.

What matters most is that you hit your target.
Whatever caliber you are most proficient with is the right caliber for you.

There's the chest-thumpers who spout nonsense like "the reason I carry a .45 is because they dont make a .46"
Those people are blowhards and should not be listened to.

Experience is fine and dandy... But it's a very minute and rather unimportant factor. There's well informed and highly talented people who have very little experience and vise versa.
My grandmother is a very experienced cook. She's been making horrible food and setting off fire alarms for more than 60 years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top