JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Follow-up on our visit to Seattle...
Went to the Space Needle Thursday evening for dinner. Took a taxi from the hotel so no issues going there. We saw no signs posted and there was no security check whatsoever going up to the observation deck.
Took the monorail back to Westlake station, then light rail in the tunnel to University station, then walked about 5 blocks or so back to our hotel from there. No problems, but we did encounter some less-than-savory characters along the way, and so - as most here suggested - I would recommend carrying at night in downtown Seattle. Better safe than sorry as they say!
Went to Pike Place Market on Friday. An incredible variety of people in this area - from the most harmless-looking old grannies to the nastiest looking street urchins you could imagine. Again, no problems, but that's probably because of the crowds and the fact that it was daylight. Looking at some of the people hanging out here, I'm pretty sure I would not want to be in this area late at night without a gun!
Went back to the hotel, changed into our Sunday-best and headed over to McCaw Hall via taxi to see Mozart's The Magic Flute. The only security we encountered here were the little old ladies checking your ticket as you headed upstairs toward the auditorium.
So, in summary, if there are rules against carrying at the Space Needle or McCaw Hall, I never saw any evidence that they're actually being enforced. And although we had no problems ourselves, I think the advice to carry in any big city like Seattle makes sense - especially if you're in the company of, and directly responsible for, the safety of an unarmed companion.

Capdek, glad you had a good visit to Seattle. Went as I figured it would. Nice job! It always seems to be the ones that have issues usually didn't conceal very well and want to make a statement when confronted. I have packed concealed all over the US, even when standing toe to toe conversing with law enforcement and never had an issue or pointed out. Dont look like your guilty of something and remember concealed means concealed. Come back any time. (Now just get the OR Senate to get with it and approve HB2792 so us WA folks can come down there and enjoy the CCW love and spend a few bucks!) - G

Thanks, we really enjoyed our visit to Seattle. It is certainly one of the most picturesque big cities we've visited. We had exceptional weather both days and the views of Mt. Rainier, the Olympic range and even Mt. Baker were spectacular. We were duly impressed with the whole visit - we even got to see them throw the fish! Unfortunately, I was only able to take a couple days off of work, so we only got to scratch the surface of the city so-to-speak. We're now planning a more prolonged visit later this summer.
And as far as carrying there goes, as Topper and Stomper mention, no big deal and hassle free! But I do think the key to that success, as gcban wisely points out, is the word 'concealed' in concealed carry. And being confident and comfortable with that option of course. I certainly respect the right of citizens to open-carry, but I think the wiser option is to never let them know you're armed and properly prepared to protect yourself and others should the need arise.
And as far as HB2792 goes, who knows, just maybe we'll be able to convince our legislators here in OR to recognize the WA permit, and just maybe WA will reciprocate. There's certainly no harm in hoping common-sense will eventually win the day!

Thanks, we really enjoyed our visit to Seattle. It is certainly one of the most picturesque big cities we've visited. We had exceptional weather both days and the views of Mt. Rainier, the Olympic range and even Mt. Baker were spectacular. We were duly impressed with the whole visit - we even got to see them throw the fish! Unfortunately, I was only able to take a couple days off of work, so we only got to scratch the surface of the city so-to-speak. We're now planning a more prolonged visit later this summer.
And as far as carrying there goes, as Topper and Stomper mention, no big deal and hassle free! But I do think the key to that success, as gcban wisely points out, is the word 'concealed' in concealed carry. And being confident and comfortable with that option of course. I certainly respect the right of citizens to open-carry, but I think the wiser option is to never let them know you're armed and properly prepared to protect yourself and others should the need arise.
And as far as HB2792 goes, who knows, just maybe we'll be able to convince our legislators here in OR to recognize the WA permit, and just maybe WA will reciprocate. There's certainly no harm in hoping common-sense will eventually win the day!

Common sense isn't real common anymore...and it seems like it is entirely out of the question when dealing with our evil overlords (politicians).

i was born , and raised in the seattle area, and back in the 60's & 70's,and up to the mid 80's , it was nothing to see an opened carried firearm in , and around seattle area ! now of course i wasn't in to guns at that time. now that i do carry , and do have a lot more firearms, i kinda remember some things in the back of my brain,pertaining to gun laws in sea. wash. soooo i looked it up.heres what i found--------

Washington has one of the best concealed carry statutes in the nation, and it has become the model for many other states, with its "shall issue" standard and state preemption of local gun laws – a situation that is obviously despised by Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and others like him, who would dearly love to ratchet down on personal freedom much more (as is evident by his crackdown on Seattle nightclubs).
Open carry is legal here, and it has been upheld by at least two appeals court rulings (one published, the other unpublished) that have held that "It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people." (State v. Gregory Casad) Twenty-seven states "allow" open carry, according to the report, without a permit of any kind. Washington, it might be said, goes a step farther as it appears that open carry is constitutionally protected. The Casad ruling noted, "The statute does not and, under the Constitution, cannot prohibit the mere carrying of a firearm in public."
Bellevue is home to two of the nation's leading gun rights organizations, the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

just some thoughts........steven

i was born , and raised in the seattle area, and back in the 60's & 70's,and up to the mid 80's , it was nothing to see an opened carried firearm in , and around seattle area ! now of course i wasn't in to guns at that time. now that i do carry , and do have a lot more firearms, i kinda remember some things in the back of my brain,pertaining to gun laws in sea. wash. soooo i looked it up.heres what i found--------

Washington has one of the best concealed carry statutes in the nation, and it has become the model for many other states, with its “shall issue” standard and state preemption of local gun laws – a situation that is obviously despised by Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and others like him, who would dearly love to ratchet down on personal freedom much more (as is evident by his crackdown on Seattle nightclubs).
Open carry is legal here, and it has been upheld by at least two appeals court rulings (one published, the other unpublished) that have held that “It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people.” (State v. Gregory Casad) Twenty-seven states “allow” open carry, according to the report, without a permit of any kind. Washington, it might be said, goes a step farther as it appears that open carry is constitutionally protected. The Casad ruling noted, “The statute does not and, under the Constitution, cannot prohibit the mere carrying of a firearm in public.”
Bellevue is home to two of the nation’s leading gun rights organizations, the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

just some thoughts........steven

Steven:
Isn't that something I wrote? It looks like something I wrote.

McCaw Hall is owned by the City of Seattle.

RCW 9.41.300 (2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinaces. (b) restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center operated by a city, town, county or other municipality, EXCEPT that such restrictions shall not apply to: (i) any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 (which is the concealed pistol license)

So, even if the city put up signs restricting weapons in to McCaw Hall, the city can not restrict weapons from entering the hall when you carry your license... does not say the pistol has to be concealed, however i could cover it up...

The Space Needle is different because it is private property, the owner and/or agents of the owner (security officers) can restrict weapons, but its not a crime to go though security check points with it.

my 2 cents.

Capdek, did you just say "legislators" and "common sense" in the same paragraph. You, my friend, win the Optimism Award for the day.:s0114::s0114:

Still, "Hope springs eternal..."

Likewise, I'm hoping for national universal recognition of Concealed Pistol Licenses the same way they recognize Drivers Licenses and Pilot Licenses. But I'm not holding my breath until it it passes the Senate and the empty suit in the White House signs it.

From the Seattle Space Needle Website:

*Building Policies:
For the safety of all guests, weapons will not be permitted in the Space Needle. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of a ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in no admittance.

I have been to the Space Needle several times when friends and family come to town. I have never been searched. I have never seen a sign outside the Space Needle stating "no firearms" but I may have just missed it.

Personally I would not go to downtown Seattle without carrying. I live here and love this place but as someone stated above there are all kinds down there especially after dark. All The Needle can do is ask you to leave, and if they do then graciously and apologetically leave. I carry at local concerts and festivals all the time, outdoors and indoors. Remember Concealed means Concealed! Enjoy your trip to Seattle and Welcome! - G

PS: I am also assuming you have a WA Concealed Hangun permit. If not then don't carry concealed in WA State at all of course. I sure hope that OR House Bill clears the Senate there so WA and OR residents can have reciprocity in each others state, it's way past due.

what about that Fed. bill that just passed?????

The city of Seattle tried to prohibit carry with their parks law. (the Space needle and grounds around it are part of Seattle parks) The courts said, no you cannot restrict carry where the legislature has not. They appealed, and lost there too. No I understand they have appealed again to teh state Supreme Court,,,we will see if teh Supreme court will even bother to hear their arguments.

As the original question was, can I OC? The answer is, yes you may.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top