JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're going to see Hamilton soon at the Keller Auditorium in Portland. I know they say no concealed carry at the theatre, but is there any actual enforcement of it? I'm really just wondering if there's been any updates in the last two years like metal detectors. Someone asked this same question 2 years ago and there wasn't any then, but I've seen something from Keller saying they've updated security. Would just rather not leave my gun in the car in the great city of Portland and it's absolutely coming with me. If anyone has been recently that would be fantastic. Thanks!
Good idea to have a small safe in your vehicle. At could at least slow thieves down.

Technology pretty much means CHLs can no longer participate in society. What can be done about this?
Normally I would say that it's a private company and they have the legal right to restrict firearms on their property, but it seems Portland 5 is a division of Metro who is responsible for operating Keller Auditorium, The New Theatre, and The Schnitz - while these properties are owned by the City of Portland. The question would be what statutory authority the government has to restrict lawful concealed carry on public property. I immediately think of ORS 166.370 which says it is unlawful to carry in a "public building". The definition of a public building from that ORS is;

"A hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315 (Report required if person has unlawful firearm or destructive device), a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or by a city, a county, a district as defined in ORS 198.010 ("District" defined for chapter) or any other entity that falls within the definition of "municipal corporation" in ORS 297.405 (Definitions for ORS 297.020, 297.230, 297.405 to 297.740 and 297.990), other than a court facility."

Bolded the section in particular that I think applies here. Oregon law gives them the authority. Whether or not its constitutional would be up to the courts. I personally don't think it is if you're interpreting from an originalist perspective but good luck getting any court on the west coast to side with the 2A on a matter like this.

Normally I would say that it's a private company and they have the legal right to restrict firearms on their property, but it seems Portland 5 is a division of Metro who is responsible for operating Keller Auditorium, The New Theatre, and The Schnitz - while these properties are owned by the City of Portland. The question would be what statutory authority the government has to restrict lawful concealed carry on public property. I immediately think of ORS 166.370 which says it is unlawful to carry in a "public building". The definition of a public building from that ORS is;

"A hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315 (Report required if person has unlawful firearm or destructive device), a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or by a city, a county, a district as defined in ORS 198.010 ("District" defined for chapter) or any other entity that falls within the definition of "municipal corporation" in ORS 297.405 (Definitions for ORS 297.020, 297.230, 297.405 to 297.740 and 297.990), other than a court facility."

Bolded the section in particular that I think applies here. Oregon law gives them the authority. Whether or not its constitutional would be up to the courts. I personally don't think it is if you're interpreting from an originalist perspective but good luck getting any court on the west coast to side with the 2A on a matter like this.
You used to could carry concealed at PSU, I don't think it's changed.

I grew up loving all things theatre and keep my politics out of it. The fact that it all happens in Portland is a seriously unfortunate side effect... Hence the post. ;)
Keeping politics out of it? Not to worry, the cast will possibly take a moment in the production to support Hamas and degrade Israel. Mark my words! It may be subtle, or they may stop the show to blurt out some senseless propaganda. I'm sure they'll toss a few Trump jabs in there too. Did you miss the time when they targeted and called out Vice President Elect Mike Pence in the audience? That's one production, if not all that I'll never attend. Hollywood and Broadway have turned far to left to be supported by any sane firearms enthiusiast no matter which party you stand with.

Last Edited:
or just leave the gun at home and go enjoy yourself w/o the hassles. the odds are good you won't need it that day either.
The odds of needing a gun in Portland to defend myself are much higher than than needing a gun to defend myself in my city of residence and I always carry a gun when I am out and about in Central Oregon. I have been very successful at avoiding dangerous situations in my life by staying away from dangerous areas and especially staying away from dangerous areas where it is guarantied the only people carrying guns are criminals. When I do go to Portland I do not carry my usual 9mm, I carry a .45 acp. If I am going to be searched at an entrance to make sure that all the thugs hanging around outside know for sure that I am an easy unarmed target I simply won't go there... ever! If that means I never see another Winterhawks game or anything else at the Moda center, so be it! I am not going to pay for the privilege of being put at extra risk in a high crime area!

I grew up in the Portland area and the shame of saying that has become equivalent to the shame of saying that I am from California!

They should have a gat check/storage in the lobby like fine entertainment emporiums of olde, then we'd all be safe.

It isn't the venue that worries me! It is the walk from the venue back to my car after the event through crapsville that I have no desire for! I would be fine with checking my gun at the door with everyone else knowing that I will be picking it upon leaving the venue!

The last time I went to the Moda center there wasn't a cop or even a rent-a-cop further than 50 feet from the door of the Moda center. That does me zero good on the mile walk back to my car through gang infested territory where they know for sure that I do not have a gun to protect myself and family.

I have NO INTEREST in causing trouble or even attracting trouble! I simply want to be able to reasonably protect my family and myself from the huge criminal element in Portland many of which are illegally carrying guns. The Portland police department is there to figure out who mugged and killed my family and I, they have no ability and no responsibility to protect my family and I from these threats. They are only there to bring the perps to justice after the crime has been committed... and after the hour+ it takes them to show up to take notes about the bloody dead bodies of us and our families.

I don't even blame the police department, they have been castrated by the liberal politicians that are more concerned with protecting the rights of the criminal elements than the lives of the law abiding citizens of Oregon! I guess if you are the governor and have your own personal security force the safety of the law abiding public really doesn't need to be a concern of yours. Why would ANYONE need to legally carry a gun, doesn't EVERYONE have their own gun toting security force surrounding them at all times? No?... Well then they should have sold their soles to be the Governor then, shouldn't they?!

Making it illegal for citizens to protect themselves by carrying a gun is just making criminals out of law abiding citizens and does NOTHING to curb the criminal violence that is so rampant in our big cities these days! If you are afraid of citizens legally carrying pistols for self protection... MOVE BACK TO CALIFORNIA AND STAY OUT OF OUR STATE!!!!

Portland just really sucks turds these days and should be avoided like the plague it is! We really should build a wall around Portland and quarantine it from the good people of Oregon!

Last Edited:
You used to could carry concealed at PSU, I don't think it's changed.
That changed too.

Not certain how this was forgotten... 2021 was not that long ago when the antis passed SB554 basically doing away with the States premption law on gun rights in public places. Specifically allowing universities to prohibit lawful CHL.

Normally I would say that it's a private company and they have the legal right to restrict firearms on their property, but it seems Portland 5 is a division of Metro who is responsible for operating Keller Auditorium, The New Theatre, and The Schnitz - while these properties are owned by the City of Portland.
The current situation is deeper than just private property rights. In 2021 the antis passed SB551 which basically made Oregon a signage state (like Texas) for publicly owned buildings including all private and public schools (colleges etc.).
Essentially....
A private store or property has to trespass you but its not illegal to carry if you leave, but now a public building or any school doesn't even have to trespass you its a criminal offense.

Nonviolent noncompliance. Carry concealed everywhere regardless of what signs are up. The criminals are going to regardless.
In other words, take one for the team. The problem with this is CCW people are in the minority, nobodys gonna care how many get convicted and lose their guns and rights.

What can be done about this?
We need to repeal prohibition in public spaces/buildings as unconstitutional or we need a law that says if we cant then it should be mandatory the place needs to provide safe gun check in storage.

I know what we can do.
You know how they have the hand flappers signing up on stage while the sugarplum fairy prances about? Well, let's hire a murderbum to sign what's going on inside for us while we drive by. I mean they already know the wank sign so hey, all set!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews