JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I work at the Port of Vancouver, which if you are on site and caught with a firearm you could end up with a felony, which would make it illegal to have firearms in the future. The thing that kills me is that the 'port security' doesn't carry either! So if a psycho shows up to commit a mass shooting the solution is to call the law. I was wondering if anyone on here would have a suggestion on who to contact to try and get this changed. Im not worried about the shooting at work, but I don't like working graveyard and only having blades as a defense if I come home to a home invasion scenario. Nor do I want to risk getting busted for leaving a 12 gauge secured in my trunk but being subjected to a random vehicle search, which from what I understand the can/will do without your consent. Sorry for the rant

Wow what a informed and helpful response! I forgot how easy it is to just quit and go find another family wage job in these modern times. You wouldn't happen to be hiring would you?

Not sure if its actual law or just the port's policy, every entrance gate is posted with firearms prohibited signage. Now that I think of it I believe it does have a statute referenced, I'll get back to you on that.

Don't know the rcw for it but it is a federal law as far as I can remember. I drive loads in and out of the ports everyday. What I can never wrap my mind around is why Homeland Security has wasted so much money on securing the ports for WHAT IS GOING OUT OF COUNTRY and less so for WHAT IS COMING INTO COUNTRY!! The blithering asshats have their priorities totally bassackwards!!!!!

Now as for keeping it in your car can't ya park just outside the ports at one of the restaurants maybe or somewhere like that. It has been a bit since I have been down there, most of my loads have been going to Seattle or Tacoma Ports.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Do you have to have Homeland Security ID? My wife did when working at the Port of Kalama, Kalama Export grain loading. If so then that might be what they're going on.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Yeah had to get a TWIC card, which is even more aggravating because it's more intense than WA concealed carry permit. And leaving my rig off site isn't really an option, would likely come back to an empty parking spot.

That sucks dude !! Yeah the T.W.I.C card I at least was reimbursed for, and they were so backed up it o my took 5 weeks to get it!!
Maybe try a 24 hour convenience store within walking distance and talk to the owner/manager and offer a Lil money for a secure place to park.

Find another job... by pursing this, you could be opening up a can worms and drawing attention to yourself you don't want.

I don't know what can of worms could be opened, they know where I live, my license plate numbers, that I have a CC permit, have me on video when I arrive and when I leave, and most recently my company installed cameras in most of the plant so as long as I keep my nose clean I "should" be ok.

From what I can read on the main entrance gates the US customs and the DHS are the ones who are enforcing this policy, which probly means I'm up the creek as far as getting anything changed.

Same thing without the felony where I work. The company I work for a construction co. Has a no weapons policy. Yet everyone in the company ownership and management is pro gun they hunt own firearms and all vote republican (to the point some of the company pickups have had anti OBAMA stickers on them since 2008) But the policy is the policy. We also park our trucks on various other companies properties depending on where our current jobs are located and all of them have the same policys.

I do know a couple guys have hidden hunting rifles to use after work over the years. I'm pretty sure there would be hell to pay if one was found out. Just like if someone peed green in a cup. Violation of company policy.

For myself, I always lock my car when I'm at work and if anyone in management asks to search it I will say 'no' and offer to move it off the property. You'd have to be pretty careless or have an extremely big mouth to have someone see a specific item in your car that you don't want people to see.

From what I can read on the main entrance gates the US customs and the DHS are the ones who are enforcing this policy, which probably means I'm up the creek as far as getting anything changed.
-
yes you are correct . but not totally DHS fault . DHS/USCG/Customs, took over all, 'Port OF Entry' . Same as Airport . If the Marine Port accepts any ' international Vessel ' . Then it becomes under control and determined to be a Federal Site under all DHS Regs. . and that is why it all went to cyclone fence-barbed wire and Security with a TWIC to enter all Int. Marine Port of entry .
BUT then you Throw-in Longshoreman ILWU as one of the Biggest Anti-2nd about Firearms carry on any of the Docks they 'control' . ILWU ( UNION ) is also the reason that the 'in-house Security' That patrol the international Marine Ports of OR. & WA . is not Armed ... The ILWU who also suckled Obama's BallSack From Day One in full support of that political agenda .

Fed. Gov. + Union Politics = You fighting for, Not losing your born Rights as an American . Because basically it ALWAYS boils-down to . Money-$$$$$ . Politics & Control .

For myself, I always lock my car when I'm at work and if anyone in management asks to search it I will say 'no' and offer to move it off the property. You'd have to be pretty careless or have an extremely big mouth to have someone see a specific item in your car that you don't want people to see.

Yeah I wish it were that way on port property, but if your vehicle is on site they have the "right" to search with your options being; A- clean with nothing for them to find, B- leave if they'll let you without new bracelets, C-hoping to whatever higher power you prescribe to that they won't find what you have hidden. As an example a co-worker was planning a camping trip where he was going to travel from work to campsite, with no stops in between, they "randomly" searched his rig, found alcohol in sealed containers, in a buried cooler, in his locked truck, and refused his entry to our plant until it was gone.

-
yes you are correct . but not totally DHS fault . DHS/USCG/Customs, took over all, 'Port OF Entry' . Same as Airport . If the Marine Port accepts any ' international Vessel ' . Then it becomes under control and determined to be a Federal Site under all DHS Regs. . and that is why it all went to cyclone fence-barbed wire and Security with a TWIC to enter all Int. Marine Port of entry .
BUT then you Throw-in Longshoreman ILWU as one of the Biggest Anti-2nd about Firearms carry on any of the Docks they 'control' . ILWU ( UNION ) is also the reason that the 'in-house Security' That patrol the international Marine Ports of OR. & WA . is not Armed ... The ILWU who also suckled Obama's BallSack From Day One in full support of that political agenda .

Fed. Gov. + Union Politics = You fighting for, Not losing your born Rights as an American . Because basically it ALWAYS boils-down to . Money-$$$$$ . Politics & Control .

One thing that chaps my a$$ is that I have no say who/what agendas my union dues support, not a ILWU member but have had multiple run-ins over the years, not necesssarily bad ones, but definitely ones that make you scratch your head asking "This guy makes how much?!" and "For doing that job?!" followed by a string of expletives that I cant repeat here.:cool:

Yeah I wish it were that way on port property, but if your vehicle is on site they have the "right" to search with your options being; A- clean with nothing for them to find, B- leave if they'll let you without new bracelets, C-hoping to whatever higher power you prescribe to that they won't find what you have hidden. As an example a co-worker was planning a camping trip where he was going to travel from work to campsite, with no stops in between, they "randomly" searched his rig, found alcohol in sealed containers, in a buried cooler, in his locked truck, and refused his entry to our plant until it was gone.

One thing that chaps my a$$ is that I have no say who/what agendas my union dues support, not a ILWU member but have had multiple run-ins over the years, not necesssarily bad ones, but definitely ones that make you scratch your head asking "This guy makes how much?!" and "For doing that job?!" followed by a string of expletives that I cant repeat here.:cool:
-
OHHHhhhh.. I can Rant for Hour on the north west ILWU .
All foreign Marine traffic that goes in & out of the Ports are now controlled by USCG/Customs with DHS Reg. .
I seen Longshoreman Stop working because private Armed security that is hired by and mandated by USCG/Customs, for them being there to board foreign Freighters that are under hold/arrest by USCG/Customs . Because Longshoreman find it to discomforting that they are forced to look at a Holstered firearm on a duty belt of Security while they are working .

Longshoreman got a real attitude . it's called ..." My Dock ". & most think that the Docks are actually there's . nothing crosses the Docks in-out, unless they say so . BS attitude .
The Facility Owners own the Facilities & Docks with the Port under control of them . ILWU is just under contract to work them, with ILWU workers are ALWAYS under political agitation that there getting screwed . But ILWU is getting it's back broke & there eventually going down .
Another big Rub is, ILWU was under control until DHS stepped-in after 9-11 . They lost a lot hidden control now everyone knows it's business with all that crosses the Docks In and Out, with Fed./DHS overwatch, documentation and Regulation .

Olden Day's the Longshoreman were pretty physical labor in working the cargo ships but now days it takes 4 guys to push the same button on dumping Grain or loading Timber etc. .
Present Day, Longshoreman are not lazy but they just raised with and got the Union Mentality called.. ' Keep Your Buddy Working '.
It's bad enough they take there time to SUCK every-$$$ from cargo freighters while they come into berth in NW Ports to load (buy) and unload there products . Loading & un-loading cargo slow & milk 2-Hr. of work to a 8-Hr, shift day after day BUT still not finish . Purposely leave 1-Hr. of work it work take to finish . So the next Shift could Clock-in and milk that Hr. for another 8-Hr. shift .

Ohhh Hey... and how about those .. ' Stop Work Meetings ? ' . Those are meetings that they longshoreman actually 'stop working ' with pay, to discuss if there going to Stop Working .
Anther GOOD EXAMPLE of them getting there backs broke and them what happening is the Facility Strike @ terminal 5 Columbia Grain Facility . ILWU locked-out . With Scabs (non-union) stepping-in while under constant Union contract agitation .
Reality is though . Facility owners are making more money with them being Locked-out & On Strick . Scabs are getting paid Less-$$$ money . While Loading & Unloading cargo twice as fast .

Hey did I fail to mention .. ???? . that the ILWU hated you having and carring a legal Firearm that you are legal to carry concealed or Licensed by the State to be Armed carry, on any Port Facility they hold contract ???? .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top