JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This question is about a CAR-15 from Olympic Arms. It is a range toy with a slide fire stock. It has the 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" welded flash hider.

The gun is used for rapid fire and does on occasion misfeed during bump fire sessions and more so once it heats up.

The gun does not have the M4 style feed ramps and I am thinking that adding them may help. I want to change the upper from a fixed handle to a flat top but I do not want to change the barrel.

I am thinking that I can Dremel or hand file the barrel ramps once the new upper receiver is on.

Thoughts?

I would say using a file would be long and tedious, not to mention not all that accurate. I would inquire to OA if they can do the feed ramps on the barrel. Changing out the upper for one with feed ramps would be cake.

Gunsmith Install I take it?
Absolutely. Using a dremel tool would work, just go slow, and I would use a barrel with the ramps as an example. Changing out the barrel extension, unless your setup already has the extension, not built into the barrel, would be near impossible. You would also have to have it head spaced etc... Certainly something you would want a qualified gunsmith to do IMHO.

Here is a decent article on the subject.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/12...amps_Barrel_Extension_to_M4_Feed_Ramps__.html

yeh installing and indexing a barrel extension is not for the novice builder and would not be cost effective to send to a smith. silly suggestion.

if your receiver is a A1 i got a flat top i could trade you.

also the problem may not even be because of the feedramps. could be ammo, mags, lube, extractor issue, buffer or buffer spring issue ect

what kind of ammo are you using

what type of mags are you using

do you have a O ring in the extractor

how many rounds on your buffer spring

what type of buffer ? standard or H buffer?

Last Edited:
yeh installing and indexing a barrel extension is not for the novice builder and would not be cost effective to send to a smith. silly suggestion.

if your receiver is a A1 i got a flat top i could trade you.

also the problem may not even be because of the feedramps. could be ammo, mags, lube, extractor issue, buffer or buffer spring issue ect

what kind of ammo are you using

what type of mags are you using

do you have a O ring in the extractor

how many rounds on your buffer spring

what type of buffer ? standard or H buffer?[/QUOTE

Is your flat top a standard barrel? I like the 11-1/2" 5-1/2" old school

• For play time, cheap steel case.
  • Mags, variety used incl. steel GI, thermo mold, P mag
  • Buffer spring probably original so I have no clue. I have put 2,000ish in 18 years
  • No o-ring
  • No idea on the buffer & no idea what an H buffer is. Can you tell from these pictures?
CB504B9E-5823-4D14-AFA7-370D19DAAC1B_zps8fmyzuux.jpg

AA94964D-8AA7-4B1F-B115-7E84CDF8B2B4_zps3n1dtrdn.jpg

134AC643-0B75-4999-94C5-EA49DC579476_zpslnlsf97t.jpg

7F8EF17D-8198-4F6A-85D9-7D93711EC6AE_zpsib2zp3na.jpg
f2e610b4e5b0576cdd93e5206df27091_zps9dbda6b4.jpg

its not a H buffer

does it to it only with steel cased ammo or with brass cased also ?

when it misfeeds what exactly happens does it pick up the round but just jams up trying to feed it like it goes part way but tilts too far up and gets stuck or does it actually go into the chamber but not all the way

does the problem exist with all the mags you use? or just a particular one .

does it do it with the pmags? if it does it with the Pmags as well as the other we can scratch mags off as being part of the problem.

I am not trying to talk you out of installing feed ramps cause if done right it can't hurt anything .

also looking at the photo appears your barrels ramps go over the edge which means if you get a receiver with shallow feedramps you may not need to dremel at all or at least very little

Dremel it is
Not.
Worst idea I've heard all week. Taking a hand-held Dremel tool to a precision firearm to create CAR feed ramps is probably going to win the bad-idea-of-the-week award.

But there's still tomorrow. Still in the running:

1.) Shall I French-kiss an Ebola patient?
2.) Is dating my wife's sister OK?
3.) Draw an empty gun on some State Troopers, yes or no?

Not.
Worst idea I've heard all week. Taking a hand-held Dremel tool to a precision firearm to create CAR feed ramps is probably going to win the bad-idea-of-the-week award.

But there's still tomorrow. Still in the running:

1.) Shall I French-kiss an Ebola patient?
2.) Is dating my wife's sister OK?
3.) Draw an empty gun on some State Troopers, yes or no?

Beater firearm actually

Not.

Actually in Patrick Sweeney's book "Gunsmithing for the AR-15" Using a dremel to extend the feed ramps is exactly what he recommends.

I had to look it up to see exactly what he said.

Here is the quote from the book.

"I ran into the problem of short-ramp feeding problems back in the 1980's. What I did then was to chuck a carbide end cutter into my dremel tool, and reaching from underneath the stripped receiver, cut the ramps down so they were low enough to "carry up" a cartridge that fed nose down. It worked then, and it works today. However, you will run into AR snobs. They will look at a rifle with dremeled feed ramps as some sort of butchery. (Well in the wrong hands, it can be.) If your rifle or carbine needs it, do it. If not, dont. Do it carefully, precisely, and as little as possible. Then dont let the snobs look in there."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top