JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Black Powder is very fun indeed Bill.
As to envy ... well I hear ya there.
But there is no real need for envy as I share my collection. Either through going to various rendezvous or shows and playing "show and tell" or offering someone a chance to shoot an original gun when and where I can. :)
Andy

Last Edited:
Black Powder is very fun indeed Bill.
As to envy ... well I here ya there.
But there is no real need for envy as I share my collection. Either through going to various rendezvous or shows and playing "show and tell" or offering someone a chance to shoot an original gun when and where I can. :)
Andy

You are a Gentleman, Scholar and a Judge of fine Whisky, that's about as nice a thing as I can say!

Thank ya Bill!
Although right now at 4.40 am its a mite early for whisky,
Coffee , strong and black is whats in the cup. :D
Andy

Well being a night owl 4:40 AM is about the same as 5:00 o'clock somewhere. LOL
Especially since I usually don't have to get up and go somewhere especially that four letter word WORK! Seeing as I'm Reetard. LOL
Gabby

Yep , that catch is a nice thing to have.
Having shot a Walker copy on the range and having the lever drop , is a pain.
I don't like to think of what it was like when the shooting was "for real."
Andy

As I understand it the old timers would use a piece or leather tie string similar to leather boot strings, to hold it up in place, they could just slip it off when they reloaded. I imagine they had to keep an eye on the string too. LOL

Funny you mention this issue of the loading rod/lever, The Colt 1855's had leather "Pads" riveted to the for arm to hold the levers up. I do not know if this was a field expedient solution or not, but I have two originals, and they both have the leathers. My replicas do not, but they are so tight, they stay up on there own! I haven't gotten the newest replica yet, so I have no idea if it has these or not. I have seen old pictures of some pistols that used leather "string's" and I think this was a common idea back then.

Years ago I bought one of those Tower Flintlock Pistol Repros.:)
The thing had a bore on it like a 12GA shotgun, so one day I decided I would try some bird hunting.:D
I loaded it up with some #6 shot and aimed it at fence line full of sparrows.:rolleyes:
When that bugger went off it almost hit me in the head, the ram rod flew out and l thought my wrist was broken.:eek::eek::eek::(
After that I found glass marbles made a great bullet. Hardly any recoil and they made a nice white spot
on things when they pulverized.:p;)

Funny you mention this issue of the loading rod/lever, The Colt 1855's had leather "Pads" riveted to the for arm to hold the levers up. I do not know if this was a field expedient solution or not, but I have two originals, and they both have the leathers. My replicas do not, but they are so tight, they stay up on there own! I haven't gotten the newest replica yet, so I have no idea if it has these or not. I have seen old pictures of some pistols that used leather "string's" and I think this was a common idea back then.

All the photos I saw showed a catch like the one in this photo. They were a later design than the Walker and were improved it appears. As was the earlier 1851 Colt.
Gabby
https://65.media.tumblr.com/7d129d524ef693d4bd47a321deb02a6b/tumblr_nes5f1snSe1rcoy9ro1_500h.jpg

Yeah Ditchtiger,
Funny how that happens..:rolleyes:
Marriage took my collection from 27 hand guns, 14 rifles and 2 shotguns, down to one .38 Spl.:eek:
That was 50 years ago though and now everything is paid for and my safe is too small.:)

Cap and ball, a few.
mycolts0709.jpg
rcarbine02.jpg

Awesome collection. Some of the funnest times I've had have been with my cap and ball revolver in the desert of northern Nevada. Slayed many a jackrabbit (when I was a kid) with a reproduction 1858 New Army target model from Cabela's. Those were simple to load and surprisingly accurate for what they were. I have a 36 caliber revolver I inherited from my grandfather and it's a beauty. I forget what model it is or even how old it is. It's tucked away. Maybe that's a good excuse to dig it out and look at it...:D

Thread title reads Cap n ball pistols. Since it did not mention Black powder I figure this fits the bill albeit I have added a few granules of triple X just to make things interesting.:eek:
IMGP0178.JPG

though I'm missing a part this use to go bang (1 1/2 in)
IMGP0281.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads