JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Black Powder is very fun indeed Bill.
As to envy ... well I hear ya there.
But there is no real need for envy as I share my collection. Either through going to various rendezvous or shows and playing "show and tell" or offering someone a chance to shoot an original gun when and where I can. :)
Andy

Last Edited:
Black Powder is very fun indeed Bill.
As to envy ... well I here ya there.
But there is no real need for envy as I share my collection. Either through going to various rendezvous or shows and playing "show and tell" or offering someone a chance to shoot an original gun when and where I can. :)
Andy

You are a Gentleman, Scholar and a Judge of fine Whisky, that's about as nice a thing as I can say!

Thank ya Bill!
Although right now at 4.40 am its a mite early for whisky,
Coffee , strong and black is whats in the cup. :D
Andy

Well being a night owl 4:40 AM is about the same as 5:00 o'clock somewhere. LOL
Especially since I usually don't have to get up and go somewhere especially that four letter word WORK! Seeing as I'm Reetard. LOL
Gabby

Yep , that catch is a nice thing to have.
Having shot a Walker copy on the range and having the lever drop , is a pain.
I don't like to think of what it was like when the shooting was "for real."
Andy

As I understand it the old timers would use a piece or leather tie string similar to leather boot strings, to hold it up in place, they could just slip it off when they reloaded. I imagine they had to keep an eye on the string too. LOL

Funny you mention this issue of the loading rod/lever, The Colt 1855's had leather "Pads" riveted to the for arm to hold the levers up. I do not know if this was a field expedient solution or not, but I have two originals, and they both have the leathers. My replicas do not, but they are so tight, they stay up on there own! I haven't gotten the newest replica yet, so I have no idea if it has these or not. I have seen old pictures of some pistols that used leather "string's" and I think this was a common idea back then.

Years ago I bought one of those Tower Flintlock Pistol Repros.:)
The thing had a bore on it like a 12GA shotgun, so one day I decided I would try some bird hunting.:D
I loaded it up with some #6 shot and aimed it at fence line full of sparrows.:rolleyes:
When that bugger went off it almost hit me in the head, the ram rod flew out and l thought my wrist was broken.:eek::eek::eek::(
After that I found glass marbles made a great bullet. Hardly any recoil and they made a nice white spot
on things when they pulverized.:p;)

Funny you mention this issue of the loading rod/lever, The Colt 1855's had leather "Pads" riveted to the for arm to hold the levers up. I do not know if this was a field expedient solution or not, but I have two originals, and they both have the leathers. My replicas do not, but they are so tight, they stay up on there own! I haven't gotten the newest replica yet, so I have no idea if it has these or not. I have seen old pictures of some pistols that used leather "string's" and I think this was a common idea back then.

All the photos I saw showed a catch like the one in this photo. They were a later design than the Walker and were improved it appears. As was the earlier 1851 Colt.
Gabby
https://65.media.tumblr.com/7d129d524ef693d4bd47a321deb02a6b/tumblr_nes5f1snSe1rcoy9ro1_500h.jpg

Yeah Ditchtiger,
Funny how that happens..:rolleyes:
Marriage took my collection from 27 hand guns, 14 rifles and 2 shotguns, down to one .38 Spl.:eek:
That was 50 years ago though and now everything is paid for and my safe is too small.:)

Cap and ball, a few.
mycolts0709.jpg
rcarbine02.jpg

Awesome collection. Some of the funnest times I've had have been with my cap and ball revolver in the desert of northern Nevada. Slayed many a jackrabbit (when I was a kid) with a reproduction 1858 New Army target model from Cabela's. Those were simple to load and surprisingly accurate for what they were. I have a 36 caliber revolver I inherited from my grandfather and it's a beauty. I forget what model it is or even how old it is. It's tucked away. Maybe that's a good excuse to dig it out and look at it...:D

Thread title reads Cap n ball pistols. Since it did not mention Black powder I figure this fits the bill albeit I have added a few granules of triple X just to make things interesting.:eek:
IMGP0178.JPG

though I'm missing a part this use to go bang (1 1/2 in)
IMGP0281.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads