JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only cap and ball I have at the moment is a Pietta "1851 Confederate Navy .44 Cal" And yes, I'm aware with the brass and in .44 cal, it's not really a true "Navy" revolver. But I didn't buy it to be historically accurate, I just wanted to try out a cap and ball revolver and got this off a member here for a good price. Fun gun to shoot for sure. I'll be doing a black powder demo for my daughter's school in a few weeks and was out practicing with some 'blank' loads for maximum bang and smoke with no projectile. Going to be shooting a Hawken rifle and a single shot .50 cal pistol too. I hear the kids are quite excited for that day :)

Here is what I have (not mine, just a photo off the net):

etrain
That's my other CnB too, When My friend wanted a Walker and for me to do all the finishing on it, Came in a kit basically just unfinished, and he got the 1851 in kit too, and "Paid" me with the Pietta.
It doesn't have the stepped cylinder like the one in your photo,
just a straight sided one without any decorations. Mine shoots fine, I cut down the nipple on my powder flask so that it throws around 16 grains of BP, so that I wouldn't be over stressing the brass frame. I think I'll just let the brass tarnish naturally so it has a more used appearance. Right now it's as shiny as the one in the photo. It's pretty accurate too considering the rear sight is a v notch in the hammer. Old Mr. Colt figured out a good fix for that big hammer sticking up there. LOL
I too have a Hawken, in 45 caliber though.
Gabby

View attachment 442337

The stepped cylinder was for the cartridge conversion version. A standard loose-loading as per normal revolver would not have that new cylinder.

Messrs Rollin and White were VERY peeved about it, and sued capaciously.

tac

1CE0C033-4782-41BE-BA55-27C4A31FDC10.jpeg My original 1858 Remington (made in 1863).........shoots well and is quite accurate....it obviously belonged to some cowboy at some time in it's life from the file work on the original grips. I have few replica guns, prefer originals.....

Last Edited:
2F2F6DF0-4D83-4B19-9433-13B96B53A9C2.jpeg One of my few modern reproduction (sort of) guns.......this one is really fun to shoot and can be loaded quite heavily, at least 45 LC +P power if needed. The most powerful pistol made until the 44 Magnum was a Colt Walker from 1846.

If any one is interested there is a triple set of 1860s Colt Second Editions for sale on our sister sight, Southwest firearms. The seller is asking a pretty good price of 2k for every thing, including 2 accessory kits with all the trimmings and all the certificates and paperwork. These are the finest "Replicas" I have ever seen, and would make a very nice addition to any collection! :D
The matched pair are full size .44s and the third is a .38 "Detective" pocket piece. All are exhibition grade!:D

The stepped cylinder was for the cartridge conversion version. A standard loose-loading as per normal revolver would not have that new cylinder.

Messrs Rollin and White were VERY peeved about it, and sued capaciously.

tac
The gun in the photo is equipped with nipples for the caps. Not saying that the originals weren't as you described though. We're dealing with reproductions here and they often did things their way!
Gabby

The gun in the photo is equipped with nipples for the caps. Not saying that the originals weren't as you described though. We're dealing with reproductions here and they often did things their way!
Gabby

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. The revolver below has a 'stepped' cylinder - that is to say, the cylinder has TWO distinct diameters....usually associated with the later cartridge conversion.

392021-aa3e58eb117d75d710d799765c828d5a.jpg

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. The revolver below has a 'stepped' cylinder - that is to say, the cylinder has TWO distinct diameters....usually associated with the later cartridge conversion.

View attachment 443006

Yea I know and the nipples ARE hard to see in the photo, I didn't notice them till I accidentally caused the photo to expand and then they were readily visible. I seem to remember seeing the stepped cylinders on more than one revolver, but don't recall the makes / models now. It really isn't all that important unless someone is looking for that in order to find a particular item.
Anyway we got to talk about guns, and that's always fun! :D
And sometimes educational.
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR