JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cap N Ball is without saying so is positively Black powder! :D
Those are cool Miniature pistols. Is that a cows or horses tooth in the first photo? I'm guessing you made them from scratch, am I right?
Welcome aboard
Gabby

Cap N Ball is without saying so is positively Black powder! :D
Those are cool Miniature pistols. Is that a cows or horses tooth in the first photo? I'm guessing you made them from scratch, am I right?
Welcome aboard
Gabby
Made from scratch?
I don't savvy.
The smallest gun is a pocket watch chain fob cap gun, from the 1920's possibly from Germany, and the larger is made by Pedersoli and copy of a an old parlor cap fired BB gun. Bought @ Cabelas. Uses a single black powder cap, shoots the BB about 20 feet.
The closest thing that is sorta made from scratch is the Bull elk tooth, literally scratch made for sure but not by me, I just terminated its growth and pried it out.:s0108:

Well darn here I thought you were one of those guys with too much time on their hands and a shop full of jewlers tools that make mini BP pistols to scale and topped them off by making them actually fire. I'm crushed and disappointed!
:D:rolleyes::po_O LOL
As for Elk teeth I have a pair of the whistlers from my Elk most folks have them made into cuff links or hang them on the end of watch fobs, but since I don't have any shirts with French cuffs or a pocket watch that I use, I just keep them in my "jewelry box" LOL.
Maybe some day I'll figure out what I want to do with them.
Anybody got any suggestions?
Gabby

Last Edited:
:), Wife never has liked #9 either. I don't use it to clean any more but still LOVE that smell. If the car carpet gets "musty" smelling I put a few drops on it. Have loved the smell since childhood.
The smell of Hoppes #9 evokes scenes of my childhood, cleaning guns in the basement, whether they needed cleaning or not. Seems like someone should make a men's cologne using a mild #9 scent.. for manly men...

Thank you kind sir it took a lot of elbow grease but was worth it.
I've since acquired a Remington 1858 copy in 36cal, and I hope to get some practice with it once the weather settles down.
Gabby

Gabby, do you know who made it? I have a Euroarms .36 1858 Remington and it is more the size of the original ones. Put side by side by side it about 3\4 size of the .44 1858's as the originals were. It feels more Colt like in my hand. The .36's and .44's made today are built on the .44 frame, the only difference is the bore and cylinder chamber size which makes the new .36's heavier than the .44's. Anyway have fun shooting it. If one of the new ones the recoil should be in powder puff league due to the extra weight. Your powder lasts longer too.

Gabby, do you know who made it? I have a Euroarms .36 1858 Remington and it is more the size of the original ones. Put side by side by side it about 3\4 size of the .44 1858's as the originals were. It feels more Colt like in my hand. The .36's and .44's made today are built on the .44 frame, the only difference is the bore and cylinder chamber size which makes the new .36's heavier than the .44's. Anyway have fun shooting it. If one of the new ones the recoil should be in powder puff league due to the extra weight. Your powder lasts longer too.

Hey G.G.,
That's what I have, someone redid the finish plumb brown to make it look older, I suspect a re-enactor. They sanded or ground most of the manufacturers name off the barrel, with the right light and a magnifier I can make out most of Euroarms Prescia Made in Italy, but you have to look closely it was a pretty sloppy job. Fortunately they didn't deface it more than that. I got it cheap and wanted it for a shooter, the design is superior to early Colts and I'll feel free to shoot the crap out of it without worrying about the brass frame on my Pietta stretching.
I had to replace the nipples due to multiple dry firings and mixed flash hole sizes. Either the hammer or the cylinder was replaced because the hammer doesn't reach or fit into the safety notch between the chambers, which forces me to have to load only 5.
I wear a size L glove, mainly because I have long hands for my size, it feels almost toy like to me, but all this aside I really like it.
The hammer doesn't have the part that should fit into the recess.
How does yours fit together?
My Pietta has little pins between the chambers that fit into a notch on the hammer face that strikes the caps. Locks up pretty well and for practice I wouldn't hesitate to load all 6.
I don't know if getting a replacement hammer would fix the problem or not, if I can even find one.
If I have to I could take some photos of the hammer and cylinder.
What say you?
Gabby

I just found this one and wonder if yours looks like it?
rm32.jpg Mine did but wouldn't engage the safety notches.
the bottom of the hammer face contacted the cylinder and wouldn't allow it to engage. I beveled it off in hopes it would, but I would have to remove the whole hammer face to do so, so rather than ruin it completely I stopped tinkering!
At least it still shoots. I think if the little top spur that covers the top of the cap was longer it might reach the safety notch. The hammer shown here is $30 when in stock, so I'm not going to experiment anymore. This is what the cylinder looks like in my gun. About the only way I can think of to allow the hammer to engage the notches would require grinding away the web. see photo, that stops the hammer from engaging the notch. I'm not going to do that either.
upload_2018-3-24_1-39-20.jpeg

Last Edited:
I had a Rogers & Spencer revolver for a while, and that had nicely-sized grips - far better than the minute items found of any Colt. It shot well, as I recall, but a newbie arrived in the club whose only sport this was, and being cash-strapped, looking for a bargain. Muggins here sold it to him for lot a lot of money, like you do.

He still turns up once in a while, to keep his 'ticket' working, but somehow never has it with him.

Anyhow, Dixie Gun Works is THE place to go for bits and pieces, some original, but have you tried Joe and Suzi at The Gun Works in Springfield? If you do deal with them, tell them tac says hi.

tac

The only cap and ball I have at the moment is a Pietta "1851 Confederate Navy .44 Cal" And yes, I'm aware with the brass and in .44 cal, it's not really a true "Navy" revolver. But I didn't buy it to be historically accurate, I just wanted to try out a cap and ball revolver and got this off a member here for a good price. Fun gun to shoot for sure. I'll be doing a black powder demo for my daughter's school in a few weeks and was out practicing with some 'blank' loads for maximum bang and smoke with no projectile. Going to be shooting a Hawken rifle and a single shot .50 cal pistol too. I hear the kids are quite excited for that day :)

Here is what I have (not mine, just a photo off the net):

pietta.jpg

The school is allowing this? Amazing!

Definitely not a public school. My daughter is home schooled, but belongs to 2 home school "schools". The one I'm doing the demo at meets in a church on the outskirts of Oregon City. The church gave us permission to do this on their property and I cleared it with the Clackamas County Sheriff's department to be sure we wouldn't have any issues. Right now, it sounds like about 80 kids and adults are going to be there for this presentation. Good chance to make a few pro-gun plugs in the process ;)

Trite, I know, but just a gentle reminder that there is no such thing as a 'blank' - it all has to go somewhere, right?

Best of luck and post many pics or even a moobie.

tac

True. I will be using a powder charge capped with oatmeal - a trick I learned online that some battlefield re-enactors use. No actual lead projectiles will be loaded. I tested it out, it worked very well and gave an impressive boom and lots of smoke. Of course, even with the 'blank' loads, all guns will be fired in a safe direction and all safety rules will be followed.

I had a Rogers & Spencer revolver for a while, and that had nicely-sized grips - far better than the minute items found of any Colt. It shot well, as I recall, but a newbie arrived in the club whose only sport this was, and being cash-strapped, looking for a bargain. Muggins here sold it to him for lot a lot of money, like you do.

He still turns up once in a while, to keep his 'ticket' working, but somehow never has it with him.

Anyhow, Dixie Gun Works is THE place to go for bits and pieces, some original, but have you tried Joe and Suzi at The Gun Works in Springfield? If you do deal with them, tell them tac says hi.

tac

They need to stock up on a lot of things,you can't sell it if you don't have it! o_O
I went to both places and neither one had anything for my Remington copy. Bummer!
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews