JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so this panic buying thing is clearly out of control. With the recent panic prices being what they are, I've sold around a dozen firearms and mostly squirrelled the proceeds away, spent a little on dies and whatnot, the occasional Sig ... (Who doesn't have a few occasional Sigs among us?)

But today I was thinking "You know, you've been meaning to get a black powder revolver for 20+ years, maybe you should get one."

So I went online. Stock is quite low. I can't imagine all those first time gun owners buying deeply into non-cartridge handguns, so which of you turkeys is cleaning out all the stuff I want? More seriously, what is going on here?

OK so this panic buying thing is clearly out of control. With the recent panic prices being what they are, I've sold around a dozen firearms and mostly squirrelled the proceeds away, spent a little on dies and whatnot, the occasional Sig ... (Who doesn't have a few occasional Sigs among us?)

But today I was thinking "You know, you've been meaning to get a black powder revolver for 20+ years, maybe you should get one."

So I went online. Stock is quite low. I can't imagine all those first time gun owners buying deeply into non-cartridge handguns, so which of you turkeys is cleaning out all the stuff I want? More seriously, what is going on here?

That is called panic buying, which has cleared many a gun shop's shelves of just about anything that will go bang. That includes ammo and reloading supplies.
This is even worse than the Obama panic, because now that Biden is confirmed you can expect it to escalate! He has openly said he's coming for our guns.
Guess what they can hack every gun blog and track every one of us down, and those who have listed all their guns, including photos, will be hard pressed to say they lost them in a boating accident, and since there have been so many accidents of that kind they won't believe it, and then you will find out what the Gestapo was all about!
Bend down turn around and kiss your but goodby! :eek::mad:
Gabby

That is called panic buying, which has cleared many a gun shop's shelves of just about anything that will go bang. That includes ammo and reloading supplies.
This is even worse than the Obama panic, because now that Biden is confirmed you can expect it to escalate! He has openly said he's coming for our guns.
Guess what they can hack every gun blog and track every one of us down, and those who have listed all their guns, including photos, will be hard pressed to say they lost them in a boating accident, and since there have been so many accidents of that kind they won't believe it, and then you will find out what the Gestapo was all about!
Bend down turn around and kiss your but goodby! :eek::mad:
Gabby

Or resist.

I just sold mine - simpler and a lot less wet. WTB a lemat replica but apparently there has been a run on $1100 blackpowder revolvers?

Odd.

I just sold mine - simpler and a lot less wet. WTB a lemat replica but apparently there has been a run on $1100 blackpowder revolvers?

Odd.
Hey Dinglenutz, are you any kin to old Dingleberry? LOLOLOL
Just couldn't help myself, sorry,,,,,,,not! Snicker snort!
Gabby
PS
If any of you don't know what a dingleberry is send me a PM and I'll resplain it to you! :rolleyes:

With modern centerfire pistols getting scarce or super expensive, it's a natural progression to look toward those old school types of firearms that are still on the shelves at what WAS decent prices! I'm kinda surprised it's taken this long, but kinda sad, as now primers, powder, and all the other stuff for them will become scarce and super expensive! So goes things with time, and I expect to see B.P. Firearms to make the list soon enough, especially once the swamp things under Biden learn of them and that they are nor regulated in any way!

With modern centerfire pistols getting scarce or super expensive, it's a natural progression to look toward those old school types of firearms
Maybe, but I'm not seeing evidence of that specifically. I just cracked open Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, click a few times to view DA revolvers, and found quite a few 38spl and 357 mag options ready to ship. None of them are my idea of an ideal HD gun but they are all better than a 36 cal navy. IMO.

Just seems really odd. Maybe a lot of enthusiasts, like me, can't find exactly what we want next and so are also working their way down their personal lists and landing on smokers? Dunno.

Maybe, but I'm not seeing evidence of that specifically. I just cracked open Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, click a few times to view DA revolvers, and found quite a few 38spl and 357 mag options ready to ship. None of them are my idea of an ideal HD gun but they are all better than a 36 cal navy. IMO.

Just seems really odd. Maybe a lot of enthusiasts, like me, can't find exactly what we want next and so are also working their way down their personal lists and landing on smokers? Dunno.
If folks are after Ruger Old Army's, or Authentic Colt replicas, Fuggeddaboutit, you'll be paying a fortune for one now, as to the Piettas and Ubertis, not seeing many of them left, most are "Back Ordered" or not orderable at this time! There is ZERO B.P. to be had, and Caps and common size ball are also unavailable!

You make good points, I think there has to be more to it... Black powder pistol is a very niche group that few people getting into firearms for the first time in the last year would choose... Heck, the percentage of people who own multiple firearms and also own a black powder pistol I would guess to be very small.

On line maybe out of stock...
Greene's Gun Shop in Oak Harbor Wa, has a few for sale.

Don't forget the used market....cap and ball replicas have been around since the late 1950's...
Lots of used Uberti's , Pietta's , R I G , and other "no name" Italian copies out there.

With that said....
I would look for a Uberti first...then a Pietta....the others can be wanting in quality.
Also I would stay away from the brass framed revolvers....most ain't a copy of any actual historic revolver , no matter what the advertising copy says...and with a brass frame , its best to go light with the powder charge.
Andy

If folks are after Ruger Old Army's, or Authentic Colt replicas, Fuggeddaboutit, you'll be paying a fortune for one now, as to the Piettas and Ubertis, not seeing many of them left, most are "Back Ordered" or not orderable at this time! There is ZERO B.P. to be had, and Caps and common size ball are also unavailable!
I'm no expert but every time I look Midway USA has pyrodex. If that's something you want thank me later ;)

Black Powder and PYRODEX are two different things for some folks....:D

PYRODEX being a substitute for black powder and in my experience far more corrosive than actual black powder...as well as useless for flintlocks.
Andy

Ordering powder is one thing, paying for the shipping is another! Locally, I have my sources for powders when/if needed, but i'm seeing the local supplies dried up, which tells me two things, 1) folks acting out of desperation, to have something, anything vs nothing at all, and 2) folks figuring out the first and getting a jump before things really go sideways! There still are a few places around with a hand full of B.P. pistols, but the prices reflect the trends were seeing in the cartridge pistol market!

I've always enjoyed my experience with Joe ( RIP ) , Suzi and Crew when at the black powder show in Monroe Wa....Never been to the actual shop , need to get down there some day.
Andy
Better hurry, i'm not sure if Suzi is up to keeping things going, which would really sadden me! I LOVE that place, it's like a grown ups toy store full of history and jamb packed to the rafters with those nifty things you never knew existed, and suddenly have to drop everything to grab them up! I kid you not, I could spend days digging through everything they have in there, and not see it all, and I could drop major $$$$ real easy, heck, we dropped big $$$ last time there while getting parts and accessories for the little ones first B.P. Rifles, and the little ones were bug eyed in wonderment the whole time we were there!

Odd.
What you are not taking into account is black powder firearms are NOT firearms. Anybody can buy one, you can have them MAILED to your door. No classes, no background check, NOTHING.
And I, for one, do not have a Sig or the desire to have one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top