JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I have $1600 to spend. Already decided on a XDm9 with laserlyte rear sight for my home defense gun (it fits my wife's hand well and the laser should help the fact that she can't hit _____). Plus, I trust XD's more than just about anything based on one I had in the past. I can get this set-up new in box for $630.

That leaves me $970 for a gun that I can have fun at the range, and carry comfortably bowhunting (meaning I nead to be able to climb in/out of treestands, and have good range of motion). Thinking the best round for this would probably be .45acp, and, as much as I love 1911's, I want a dual action trigger because I would be able to get a shot off quicker in the event that I need to defend myself from a bear or cat.

I have considered the HK USP full size, the Sig P220, the Tangfolio Witness, the XD45, and the Para P-14 LDA. Could use some input from the "Experts."

the Portland Gun Show is this weekend, you should go. You'll be able to handle just about every pistol out there. It'll help narrow your choices down.

I've been going back and forth for weeks on a new 45... it's coming down to either the xd45 compact, (shorter frame with the ability to carry a 10 rd. or extended 13 rd. mag) and the sig p220 carry (8 rd. mag).

I'm heavily leaning towards the xd for several reasons:
- owned an xd45 service in the past and put 3 - 4,000 rounds through it without one single hiccup. I know I could trust it.
- Half the cost (give or take) of the hk, sig, and other "top shelf" pistols which would leave $400 - $500 left over for ammo, mags, etc.
- more versatile
- lots of aftermarket DIY upgrades available
- Springfield's outstanding customer service

I wouldn't consider myself one of the "Experts" 'round these parts, but there's my .02

I've been going back and forth for weeks on a new 45... it's coming down to either the xd45 compact, (shorter frame with the ability to carry a 10 rd. or extended 13 rd. mag) and the sig p220 carry (8 rd. mag).

I'm heavily leaning towards the xd for several reasons:
- owned an xd45 service in the past and put 3 - 4,000 rounds through it without one single hiccup. I know I could trust it.
- Half the cost (give or take) of the hk, sig, and other "top shelf" pistols which would leave $400 - $500 left over for ammo, mags, etc.
- more versatile
- lots of aftermarket DIY upgrades available
- Springfield's outstanding customer service

I wouldn't consider myself one of the "Experts" 'round these parts, but there's my .02

Great points, and I totally agree with all of them. The gunshow would be a good idea, considering the fact that I don't have the largest hands so I should definately do some fondling (of the guns :s0112:) before I buy.

Not an expert in any means.
Ruger P90. Fits .45acp and double action
(i'm a little biased)

OK, I have $1600 to spend. Already decided on a XDm9 with laserlyte rear sight for my home defense gun (it fits my wife's hand well and the laser should help the fact that she can't hit _____). Plus, I trust XD's more than just about anything based on one I had in the past. I can get this set-up new in box for $630.

That leaves me $970 for a gun that I can have fun at the range, and carry comfortably bowhunting (meaning I nead to be able to climb in/out of treestands, and have good range of motion). Thinking the best round for this would probably be .45acp, and, as much as I love 1911's, I want a dual action trigger because I would be able to get a shot off quicker in the event that I need to defend myself from a bear or cat.

I have considered the HK USP full size, the Sig P220, the Tangfolio Witness, the XD45, and the Para P-14 LDA. Could use some input from the "Experts."

I have a most of the XD models at the gun show this weekend. Feel free to stop by our table and play with them. I dont have a standard XDm, but i do have the new XDm 3.8 9MM. It is a really nice gun, and might fit your wifes had a little better.

You are going to have trouble getting an XDm and a laser sight for 630. XDm's are running $599 right now, and the laserlytes are running close to $140.

But either way stop by and hold the models and see which one fits the best. If you let me know you are a member here and give me your name i will give you a discount also.

If you're going to carry a 1911, you ought to carry cocked and locked. You'll put that to work really fast.
Have not owned an XD, but handled the XDM and I really like the ergonomics. If you are getting one for the boss, why not make the .45 one too? Then both of you can shoot both guns!

I have a most of the XD models at the gun show this weekend. Feel free to stop by our table and play with them. I dont have a standard XDm, but i do have the new XDm 3.8 9MM. It is a really nice gun, and might fit your wifes had a little better.

You are going to have trouble getting an XDm and a laser sight for 630. XDm's are running $599 right now, and the laserlytes are running close to $140.

But either way stop by and hold the models and see which one fits the best. If you let me know you are a member here and give me your name i will give you a discount also.

Actually, I work for a company that can get me the XDm for $501 and the laser for $119, so that one is a no brainer (awesome deal). I'll definately stop by your booth and take a look at what you have tomorrow. Will there be a sign that says "Tons of Brass"? If not, how will I know which one is yours?

If you're going to carry a 1911, you ought to carry cocked and locked. You'll put that to work really fast.
Have not owned an XD, but handled the XDM and I really like the ergonomics. If you are getting one for the boss, why not make the .45 one too? Then both of you can shoot both guns!

Yeah, I could see that, but not sure I trust the safety enough to carry that way hunting. We get into some pretty think stuff, and I am afraid it could somehow get clicked off if the safety got hit by something or if I was climbing a tree. I guess with the right holster the chances of that are pretty much nill. Great, you may have just put the 1911 back on the list. Not helping!

Not making fun of you, just an interesting thought process.

Some questions need to be answered as well.

How do you intend to carry said gun while hunting? Would your holster choice give you the swiftness that one would possibly need to dispatch a cat or the like.

1911's are ok to be carrid cocked and locked. Along with some other makes such as HK USP's, depending on their configuration can also be carried cocked and locked.

For me it would be weight vs caliber

I see carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, not much different than carrying a Glock or an XD with a 5-7lb trigger.

If you're worried about safety with having a hammer cocked, I will submit a challenge to anyone here on the forum.

I'll take any of my 1911's, unload it, cock the hammer, engage the thumb safety and install a magazine and give to you. You have one shot at making the hammer drop.
You can smash it with a sledge hammer, throw it off a building, or lay it on I-5 for a semi to run it over etc.

If the hammer drops, I walk away with a broken gun, game over.

But, when the hammer doesn't drop, and I know it won't...I get to keep my broken gun, and that someone gets to buy me another 1911 of my choice.

Any takers?

Sorry 'bout that, but let me help one small bit...if you have small hands, like me, then the Para is off the list. It's not that much bigger, but you'll have to use two hands and train with it more.
I had almost the same dilemma as you in deciding on a plastic gun. They all feel much better than they used to 20-10 years ago, and the triggers are amazing in comparison as well.
I knew I was going to get the XDM, but ended up with a G3 G17 RTF. It's still not my first choice, but, it happened that way.
On the way, I dumped a G1 G19 and G3 G26. Go figure...
(Edit)Good point Wichaka, the method of carry can make the 1911 safety a moot point. Besides, even if the safety is accidentally clicked off, something else has to pull the trigger. For the record, I have about 6 1911s.

Last Edited:
Not making fun of you, just an interesting thought process.

Some questions need to be answered as well.

How do you intend to carry said gun while hunting? Would your holster choice give you the swiftness that one would possibly need to dispatch a cat or the like.

1911's are ok to be carrid cocked and locked. Along with some other makes such as HK USP's, depending on their configuration can also be carried cocked and locked.

For me it would be weight vs caliber

I see carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, not much different than carrying a Glock or an XD with a 5-7lb trigger.

If you're worried about safety with having a hammer cocked, I will submit a challenge to anyone here on the forum.

I'll take any of my 1911's, unload it, cock the hammer, engage the thumb safety and install a magazine and give to you. You have one shot at making the hammer drop.
You can smash it with a sledge hammer, throw it off a building, or lay it on I-5 for a semi to run it over etc.

If the hammer drops, I walk away with a broken gun, game over.

But, when the hammer doesn't drop, and I know it won't...I get to keep my broken gun, and that someone gets to buy me another 1911 of my choice.

Any takers?

Sorry, Wichaka. My furnace went out this week and it has been a real pain in the ***, think it put me in a bad mood and I was being a little too sensitive. You make some very good points. I usually carry my firearm in a holster on the belt of my pack that goes across my stomach. It would probably be just fine.

No harm no foul here.

Across the body or attached to a chest strap on the pack would be the most efficient.

I would go with something that's weight efficient. A LW 40 or 45. But a well placed 9 will do good as well.

I have a horse packin biz on the side, and carry my Colt 380 Gov. in case I need to put a horse down. I carry it while backpacking too. Its good stuffed with Gold Dots.

I've roamed the Pacific Crest Trail from the south side of Mt. Hood to the North end of Rainier, and have yet to have any problems with animals.

Guess I just jinxed myself eh?

I never carried until a few years ago when I saw a cat run past me about 30 yards away one night climbing up a hillside. The thing was so fast that I couldn't even see what it was for sure, and even though we were in brush and pine cones it didn't make a sound. Scared the piss out of me, and all I had was my bow. Went looking for a pistol as soon as I got back to town!

Sorry 'bout that, but let me help one small bit...if you have small hands, like me, then the Para is off the list. It's not that much bigger, but you'll have to use two hands and train with it more.
I had almost the same dilemma as you in deciding on a plastic gun. They all feel much better than they used to 20-10 years ago, and the triggers are amazing in comparison as well.
I knew I was going to get the XDM, but ended up with a G3 G17 RTF. It's still not my first choice, but, it happened that way.
On the way, I dumped a G1 G19 and G3 G26. Go figure...
(Edit)Good point Wichaka, the method of carry can make the 1911 safety a moot point. Besides, even if the safety is accidentally clicked off, something else has to pull the trigger. For the record, I have about 6 1911s.

Don't forget about the grip safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads