JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually shoot more accurately with a pistol than a rifle when you get down to it. That probably tells you all you need to know about what a crappy rifleman I am. In fact I used to have a better chance with a bow than a rifle according to my grandfather. I am actually pretty good with iron sights, but when it comes to distances beyond my range of clear vision I am screwed.

Someone on here used to have the quote, "train at the speed of a gun fight"

Anyone with a lesson in basics and practice anyone can learn to shoot accurately, However, shooting with your heart racing and BGs shooting back is another story.

I good way to train is to do some exercises before doing a shooting drill.
Do a sprint, some push ups, sit ups, etc and then drill. And repeat.

Get good at that and in a gun fight you may just win.

In a word - you bet your sweet bippy I can... Now, environmental conditions so play their role of course and if we're talking a combat situation as does the noted article the intended target seldom presents a cooperative target...

Really, the best way to become a real rifleman is taking your AR, M1A or Garand to a CMP clinic to learn the fundamentals and then go a few highpower matches every year as a couple others mentioned previously. Dedication to the craft and putting rounds down range is the path to hitting the mark when the chips are down.

Last time I fooled with this (too long ago) I shot my trusty heavy-barrel Savage .308 from prone and hit a 500 yard man-sized silhouette 7 of 8 times in a fairly strong wind (6x scope, using the mil dots for windage). Then I tried it with my M1A, a 3 MOA gun, using the irons and kentucky windage, and hit 4 of 8. It sure is nice using a scoped bolt gun, makes it almost easy.

When I was 19 years old with an M14 you could make it 500 yards. Now I am old and shake like a dog passing a peach pit. No so sure anymore.

usmcexpertbadge.jpg

usmcexpertbadge.jpg

I'm reminded of a naval encounter off the coast of Vietnam one foggy morning. It went like this:

The USS Turner Joy, a destroyer with three 5"-38's spotted a target off the coast of North Vietnam.
Assuming it friendly, a radio call was put out:

"This is the USS Turner Joy, Please identify yourself."

No response.

Signal lights were used:
"This is the USS Turner Joy, identify yourself, friend or foe."

No response.

Signal lights again:
"This is the USS Turner Joy, identify yourself or we will commence firing"

Answer:

"This is the Battleship USS New Jersey, You may fire when ready!"
True statement.

Brutus Out

The article proposed that early firearms training for youth would help greatly to improve their shooting capabilities should they choose to join the military.

No wonder Zerobama and his minions want to disarm the populace.

When I was in high school I shot small bore competition. The 10 ring at 50' is the same size as a .22 bullet hole. If you couldn't score 100 points for 10 shots from prone you might as well go home. Kneeling and sitting had to be in the high 90's, and standing had to be above 90. In a 4 position match you couldn't drop more than 10 points out of 400 to be in the top 3 or 4 scorers. That was great for developing accuracy skills.

Later on I played on a tournament paintball team where we would fire 2500 rounds a day in practice against other team members. That developed muscle memory and tactics. We all had Aim Point sights and such, but in a battle you rarely used them. It was mostly point and shoot, and even years later I can still make a pop can dance with my 5.56 Bushmaster. Practice is everything, and you never really lose that advantage you gain from it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top