JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a chance to buy a really decent Remington Wingmaster 870 12 gauge (pump of course) with a 26" barrel, and at a very good price ($200.)

I would love to buy it and have the barrel cut to 18". New and even used barrels are really expensive so I believe that's out. ??

Please don't tell me to just buy a new Express. I love those Wingmasters, if I can make this work. :s0155:

Can I get that barrel cut off, and if so will the gun work OK for defense with no choke like that?

What would you expect to pay to get the barrel cut, if it's feasible?

Thx. :)

PS Yes, the barrel is ribbed.

You can cut the barrel off yourself. Wrap tape around it to mark off where to cut with the hacksaw. Most guys should have a hacksaw in the garage, get a new bi-metal blade. Then cut just a hair in front of the tape. File it down flush with the tape. take a straight edge and check to make sure you are even around the muzzle. Get a new hi-vis bead for $5. Get a drill and tap for $10, install the bead. Make sure no shorter than 18.5", Go shoot!

OK, will do. I'll clean up the edges with fine files and/or fine sandpaper ?? and install the bead. I'll do a little touch up on the bluing? ??

I have lots of drills and taps so thanks for that info. :s0155:

I thought it was illegal, but I'm not real current on this.

Well then, I need to know for sure. I do know you can buy brand new 870 12 gauge shotguns at Bi-Mart with that barrel length for $325, so the barrel length itself can't be illegal. ??

picture-11.jpg

Bought a mossberg Maverick model 88 about 8 years ago.Sawed it off ,put a pistol grip onit and .it's lived next to my nightstand ever since.Never fired. That was up untill last weekend. Took it out and fired some 2 3/4'' rounds.Had a bit of a kick to it. So I tried a 3'' magnum.WoW.Should have held on to it tighter and off to the side. My ribs still hurt . Thinkin I don't need it. I have less painful means of home defence.

RoJac

Bought a mossberg Maverick model 88 about 8 years ago.Sawed it off ,put a pistol grip onit and .it's lived next to my nightstand ever since.Never fired. That was up untill last weekend. Took it out and fired some 2 3/4'' rounds.Had a bit of a kick to it. So I tried a 3'' magnum.WoW.Should have held on to it tighter and off to the side. My ribs still hurt . Thinkin I don't need it. I have less painful means of home defence.

RoJac

You planned to use a gun for home defense that you never fired?

MOST importantly if you are doing this for the first time I highly recomend wearing shooting glasses for the first outing. It could produce some blowback if not done correctly.:s0159:

Yes. You can do it yourself or bring it to a machine shop and they will do it to whatever specs you want. Also don't forget the minimum lengths (18 in. or 46 cm and an overall length of at least 26 inches) to be considered a regular shotgun and not a short barreled shotgun (class 3).

What would cause it to be incorrect? What would I have done wrong?

Cutting too fast such as a cut off tool causing barell to become soft/lose temper, Cutting uneven, not smoothing the end enough.

Can anyone also confirm legal barell length (18") is from end of chamber not full measurement.

The BATF isn't very clear on how to measure things correctly, but this is how I would perceive the situation.

1. Make sure the gun is not loaded.
2. Close the bolt.
3. Insert a rod down the barrel from the muzzle and when it stops against the bolt face, mark it at the muzzle.
4. Withdraw the rod, and measure the distance from the end that was in the barrel to the mark you made. That is the barrel length for legal purposes.

Also I agree with deadeye on not cutting it too fast or with a dull blade, the barrel could become brittle and or lose its shape. Best to buy the gun you want in the first place or have a gun smith do it correctly.

One more thing is do you want to use removable chokes in it? This will require a gunsmith to do also.

I just want to use it with buckshot for self defense, only in the house. Do I need any choke for that?

If it matters, it's just me and my wife, on acreage, far from any other house. I'm not worried about over-penetration. 2 3/4 Buckshot.

I love those beautiful Wingmasters including the checkered wood furniture. :s0155:

does it have ribs like that? you might not want to cut it if it has ribs... if it is a 870 shotgun, just buy a 18" barrel for it

I bought the gun of course. Now I'm looking at it thinking it's too nice to chop the barrel. That's only after bugging the chit out of you guys about how to do it. :D

My HD shotgun has a "cylinder choke" which is no choke at all...

I'm going to check into that. My belief is that barrels are very expensive, so I'll have to see if it's worth it. I might also look around for a used barrel that isn't ribbed.

I can't bring myself to cut that barrel. The gun is beautiful. It has a modified choke, btw. :s0155:

Personally, I wouldn't cut such a good looking barrel. Buy and sell the wingmaster and buy something manufactured for what you want...

That's a very good alternative, but I'm in love with this Wingmaster. It's a keeper. :s0155: I don't own a defensive shotgun. I might go to gunbroker and buy one of those police trade in Wingmasters that are on there and restore it. ??

Now I'm confused about everything except keeping this gun and not chopping it up.

Here's a beater I could restore. It doesn't have the checkering, that's the only negative. Link

These guns are usually beat up cosmetically from spending their lives in a police cruiser.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews