JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought the gun of course. Now I'm looking at it thinking it's too nice to chop the barrel. That's only after bugging the chit out of you guys about how to do it. :D

I'm going to check into that. My belief is that barrels are very expensive, so I'll have to see if it's worth it. I might also look around for a used barrel that isn't ribbed.

I can't bring myself to cut that barrel. The gun is beautiful. It has a modified choke, btw. :s0155:

Think of it this way...a new/used 18" barrel and you now have 2 guns for the price of 1...no longer too expensive, yah? That's what I did. I've got my HD and my Turkey hunter.

Think of it this way...a new/used 18" barrel and you now have 2 guns for the price of 1...no longer too expensive, yah? That's what I did. I've got my HD and my Turkey hunter.

I will check into that. Probably the best idea.

BTW, you ain't hunting any turkeys on my property. Here's a pic I took out of my great room back window last spring. There are three toms if you look closely.

I won't kill deer or turkeys on my property because I love watching them. I have to go some distance away to hunt.

DSC00060a.jpg

How to measure:

<broken link removed>

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100&#176;F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

I have a $50 break action 12 guage single shot that I bought just for cutting off the barrel. I cut at 18 1/2" with a hack saw, then chucked in the lathe and chamfered the muzzle. This is not for self defense, but was chopped off for shooting the exploding shotgun shells made for hazing wildlife (geese). You can't use a full choke with these. Makes a great pickup gun with the short barrel.

Hey gunner if I were you I wouldnt cut that beautiful lookin remmy up. You might try looking on cheaperthandirt.com for a barrel I believe they have one for $100.

If you are not on a budget, check the Roadblocker out:
<broken link removed>

but I think the Mossberg 590 12ga Persuader is all you need:
<broken link removed> They go on sale at Big5 every once in a while.

That's how I got mine; I later replaced the stock with a Speedfeed, and now this is how it looks like:
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Yeah guys, I'm not going to cut that barrel. The gun is just too nice. The cheapest barrel I can find for it is 20" @ $149 plus shipping. I might do that, but I'm trying to find an 18" and of course the best price I can get. I also want to buy a mag extension.

I really don't want to buy a Mossberg or 870 tactical. It's partly because I can't see having another shotgun, and I can't see spending that much when I have this Wingmaster. It's also because I love the Wingmaster with its checkered wood furniture, etc. That's what I was after in the first place.

I started out wanting a Wingmaster from days gone by as they were used in police cars. There are lots of them out there from $250 - $400 but they are usually beat up on the outside from spending years in a cruiser. They also don't have the beautiful checkered furniture.

I paid $200 for this one I have and it's really nice. I plan to spend around another $200 on it for a new barrel and a mag extension ($50) and I'll be happy. It's 2 3/4" 12 gauge which I think is plenty.

Thanks for all the help.

i asked some questions about this on another forum once,and was told by an OLD ffl--rifle barrel can be no shorter than 16 1/2,the 1/2 is just to make sure,that someones tape is'nt lieing.shotguns have to be 18,so once again you make it 18 1/2,just to be sure-someone correct me if i'm wrong-i can take it

steven

Bought a mossberg Maverick model 88 about 8 years ago.Sawed it off ,put a pistol grip onit and .it's lived next to my nightstand ever since.Never fired. That was up untill last weekend. Took it out and fired some 2 3/4'' rounds.Had a bit of a kick to it. So I tried a 3'' magnum.WoW.Should have held on to it tighter and off to the side. My ribs still hurt . Thinkin I don't need it. I have less painful means of home defence.

RoJac

:s0131: Pain to others is comedy...right :s0131:

I bought the gun of course. Now I'm looking at it thinking it's too nice to chop the barrel. That's only after bugging the chit out of you guys about how to do it. :D

I'm going to check into that. My belief is that barrels are very expensive, so I'll have to see if it's worth it. I might also look around for a used barrel that isn't ribbed.

I can't bring myself to cut that barrel. The gun is beautiful. It has a modified choke, btw. :s0155:

Remington barrels are expensive, so much so that, mossberg actually makes 870 barrels for remington 870 shotguns! They are great barrels for your uses with it! Thats what I have $90 mossberg 18.5" HD barrel, it works great!!!

nowadays about $110-120 for a mossberg 870 smooth-bore barrel

Just dont get a rifled one unless you are only going to shoot slugs!!!!

Remington barrels are expencive, so much so that, mossberg actually makes 870 barrels for remington 870 shotguns! They are great barrels for your uses with it! Thats what I have, it works great!!!

about $110-120 for a mossberg 870 smooth-bore barrel

Just dont get a rifled one unless you are only going to shoot slugs!!!!

Now there's something I didn't know. Thanks! I'll get on Google and find one. You're right, Remington brand barrels are way too expensive for what I want. I could dang near buy a new Mossberg pump shotgun at Bi Mart ($249 this week) as to buy a second Remington barrel. :s0131:

Gunner3456 - See this link for an 870 similar to yours that was shortened to 18.25". The OP did an excellent job and has good info.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=356873&highlight=shortened+vent+rib

Super info. Very, very informative, thanks. :s0155: He started with an 870 Express. BIG mistake imho. There is too much difference between that and an 870 Wingmaster to even get started on.

The Police model is an 870 Wingmaster. You can go back to that link above and scroll down to post #22 to get an idea of some differences, and why the Wingmaster costs so much more new.

The next mistake he made was starting with a vent rib barrel. They are overbored and not safe for slugs.

Since I started this thread, I decided not to chop this barrel. The gun is just too nice. Getting a new barrel, mag extension etc. cost so much that I just bought a Winchester Defender 18.5 barrel, 7+1, 3" chamber, from a member here. It was listed here last week. Problem solved. :s0155:

Here are pics from the ad on here:

windef.jpg

windef2.jpg

Before you cut a barrel know the the law states 18 1/2 inches...FROM THE END OF A CHAMBERED ROUND. Not the from the chamber end of the barrel. Tricky, aren't they?

That is incorrect, this is copy from batf site.

Barrel length is measured from the end of the muzzle to the front of the breechface, typically by inserting a measuring rod into the barrel. Barrel length may partially comprise a permanently-attached muzzle accessory (such as a compensator or flash suppressor).[1]

In the case of a shotgun minimum length is 18 inches.

if you leave it at 20" instead of 18.5" you can still safely add a mag tube extension.... i made the swift choice of buying an 18.5" barrel, and now im stuck at 4+1... if i had been patient and not so crazy with the 'BUY IT NOW' button, i could have had a 6+1 with a extension... owell

you should be able to get 7+1 out of a 18.5" no problem.

+1. :s0155:

See the pic of my 18.5 Defender above. Do a google search for magazine extensions with a new spring and follower. I'd help but I don't know what gun you have. They are available for most common shotguns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top