JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can I still drive THROUGH, (passing through) California carrying with an Oregon concealed carry permit?

Am I allowed by Federal Law to CC high cap mags with the concealed high cap handgun? ... passing though CA?

May I still pass through California with the concealed handgun and mag ammo? ... in spite of new CA gun laws?

Does the Federal Firearms Protection Act give me legal authority to do this? Does Fed law trump CA law?

This would be passing through inland SW Oregon driving through NW California going to coastal SW Oregon.

Or ... am I prohibited from bringing into CA ANY ammo or hi cap mags with my Oregon Concealed Carry Permit?

It gets confusing.

You would be subject to California state law. Your OR permit means nothing down there. Check Calguns and CA DOJ website for clarification.

If you are passing through (no stopping to visit aunt Edna in Susanville) you should be protected by
the "safe passage" clause of FOPA '86. Personally I would get a lockbox and stick it in the trunk.
NO on body carry, no gun or ammo readily accessible. Just quietly pass through enemy territory.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
prev | next
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearmto any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

I drove through Cali a couple months ago. I stopped at the border and put my carries in a little lock box in the back of the car and the mags in a separate safe in the back seat. I stopped in the shade of the welcome to Nevada sign, and rearmed.

Theoretically yes, you can and should be protected by FOPA as some others mentioned.

Just make sure, as you mentioned, that you have the any firearms in a lock box and unloaded. To be safe, I would make sure mags are unloaded too and separate from the firearms.

Also, when they say pass thru, they mean pass thru. No stopping to visit or staying overnight anywhere.

Going to be interesting to see what happens if National Reciprocity passes into law. No doubt Cali and NY and NJ will try to sue, but like NY suing over a tax bill passed by congress, it won't get traction with the current SCOTUS

Can I still drive THROUGH, (passing through) California carrying with an Oregon concealed carry permit?

Am I allowed by Federal Law to CC high cap mags with the concealed high cap handgun? ... passing though CA?

May I still pass through California with the concealed handgun and mag ammo? ... in spite of new CA gun laws?

Does the Federal Firearms Protection Act give me legal authority to do this? Does Fed law trump CA law?

This would be passing through inland SW Oregon driving through NW California going to coastal SW Oregon.

Or ... am I prohibited from bringing into CA ANY ammo or hi cap mags with my Oregon Concealed Carry Permit?

It gets confusing.

Your Ore permit means exactly nothing in CA.
Ca law says you may not import or cause to be imported any ammo feeding devise that holds more than 10 rounds.

Federal safe passage laws say you may carry your unloaded, cased firearms through any state. The operative words are Locked ,Cased , unloaded and through. If you stop for any reason you are not passing through. If you are stopped and asked to show your unloaded, locked, and cased gun You must open the case for them so they can verify that it is unloaded. Failure to do so will get your car impounded.

" If" I were traveling through the commie state of CA I would carry a revolver, and lock it unloaded in my trunk before crossing state lines. it cuts down on any grey areas. and would definitely not take a chance on being caught with illegal magazines. DR

I get some satisfaction when I carry my unapproved guns in CA. The only thing I have to abide by is magazine capacity and my P220 only holds 8+1.

Aren't LEO exempted in Cali law from the stupid 10 round limit? I thought their law exempted on-duty security people (companies I guess can issue them out?) plus the typical exemptions for LE and Mil.

I hope the SCOTUS will take up a suit against a mag ban and strike them all down as unconstitutional.

Aren't LEO exempted in Cali law from the stupid 10 round limit? I thought their law exempted on-duty security people (companies I guess can issue them out?) plus the typical exemptions for LE and Mil.

I hope the SCOTUS will take up a suit against a mag ban and strike them all down as unconstitutional.

No! Not for personal off-duty carry. Magazine limits are the only thing that wasnt addressed in the law.

But I think Cali law itself exempts LE from the magazine restriction. I know LEOSA requires you to abide by state CHL laws when carrying out of your home state - but you might double check Cali law itself, as I'm pretty sure active duty LE are exempted, and not just when on duty.

Just adding to the consensus here... FOPA and the Peaceable Journey law will protect your rights as long as you follow it to the letter.

I hate myself for saying it out loud, and I'll never admit to it again... but if I were traveling through KA I'd take a gun that has a 10 rd (or less) capacity. There are plenty of nice semiautos that meet that criteria (I carry one every day), and it removes one layer of hassle if you get harassed by a LEO that doesn't know the law. I'd go as far as to print a copy of it and tuck it in the lock box w yer piece.

It reeks of acquiescence, I know. But if I'm in KA it's because I'm working or on vacation, not on a crusade to make a point or change their stupid laws. Just a means to an end and not the hill I want to die on.

Fortunately we do not make that many trips now to the SW Oregon Coast. Brookings. The big long detour up, around and then down the Oregon coast is doable and we have done it before for other reasons. Sosssss .... have political events reached the point where our (MY) CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT OF LIBERTY, (travel) has been severely compromised?

Compromised by also restricting my right TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS? Without infringement? Yep. Never in my life did I think I would live to see this but there you have it. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top