JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying to get into hunting bird game and I was wondering what gauge of shotgun, brand, and model I would need for a bird like ring neck grouse. Looking to spend less than 200 for the shotgun.

I am not sure what a ring neck grouse is...
But I do enjoy hunting both Ruffed Grouse and Spruce Grouse.

I use both 20 and 12 gauge shotguns
In Flintlock , pump and single shot break open styles of action.
I also prefer a more open choke , like Modified or Improved Cylinder.
#7 1/2 and #6 shot seem to work the best with my guns.
2 3/4 size shells also work nicely...you won't need a 3 inch or magnum shell to get a Grouse.

As far as brand , model and a gauge...
You need to find what works for you and how you hunt....
Which means looking at lots of different shotguns and if possible trying them out.
And to be blunt here...with $200 you can find a shotgun...but your choices will be very limited.

Grouse hunting involves lots of walking and usually quick shots at a smallish , fast , bird that can switch flight direction in a moment.
So I like a gun that carries well and "Points" quickly when I shoulder it.
Andy

2 3/4 size shells also work nicely...you won't need a 3 inch or magnum shell to get a Grouse.

Which means looking at lots of different shotguns and if possible trying them out.
And to be blunt here...with $200 you can find a shotgun...but your choices will be very limited.

Grouse hunting involves lots of walking and usually quick shots at a smallish , fast , bird that can switch flight direction in a moment.
Andy
Thank you very much so you mean a shorter barreled gun?

20 gauge is probably easier on the birds and you but either 12 or 20 will do. As was mentioned, $200 isn't going to go very far, but there are a few choices.

At that price range, you're looking at a pump, semi-autos cost more.

Might want to check out Mossberg Maverick 88 or Charles Daily, both around $200.

Thank you very much so you mean a shorter barreled gun?
You are welcome.
Barrel choice is very subjective and personal.

I have three Remington Wingmasters , two have 28 inch barrels and one has a 18 inch barrel.
All three handle nicely and "swing" and "point" well , for me.

I have two single shot break open shotguns...
One with a 28 inch barrel and one with a 26 inch barrel
Both work well.
These feel and handle differently than my three Wingmasters due to a short receiver and lighter weight.
The short receiver of a single shot shotgun , makes for a shorter overall length , even if the gun has a long barrel.

My flintlock has a 40 inch barrel...but due to its balance and lack of a receiver , like a modern gun...it is fast and easy to carry and shoot.

A shorter barreled gun is usually preferred for upland game...but again , you need to find what carries and shoots well for you.

Shotgun shooting is extremely personal in style.
The gun must fit you ...as in how it carries and is shouldered and fired...
Each shotgun will pattern differently with different loads of shot , even the same size of shot , by a different maker , may pattern differently.
Andy

If you're looking to blast an entire covey that you may flush from the brush, a semi-auto would do you well....

My Weatherby SA-08 with 26" barrel... it runs on heavy loads (referred to as "high base" loads) usually for heartier waterfowl species, and lower powered loads (referred to as "low base" loads) used for more delicate upland game birds and target clays.

It's a veritable "duck slayer", and I wouldn't hesitate to take it out for upland bird hunting.

A9C248CF-E11F-4FC2-ACF7-A0B91BB82D9E.jpeg

Last Edited:
Like motorcycles and bicycles your first shotgun is going to be a learning platform, and maybe later on you can go on to other brands or styles once you find out exactly what it is that you want your gun to do. As with motorcycles and bicycles I feel it's better to find a good used one than a crappy new one, and trust me if you hunt with it it WILL get beat up so figure on that.

With shotgunning nothing succeeds like practice so if there is a place near you to shoot clays, that's a bonus.

One last thing. Make sure your gun is empty and you are in a safe location, focus on something, close your eyes and snap the gun to your shoulder,. When you open your eyes it should be aimed at whatever it was that you were focusing on. If so, the gun fits; if not, find another gun.

Andy
Ring neck would be a dove .
But if you want a easy to use gun or Gage
That is used in lots and lots of bird hunting.
20ga is your gun .
As for the 200 dollar range.
Look for used pump guns in 20ga.

I have three 12 ga guns and one 20ga
My sister has a 16 ga and I have shot all of them.
Of course! The 12 ga the ammo is easier to find.
20ga is easy to find also.
But 12 ga is more versatile.
You can find light loads to heavy loads.
Depends on what you want to hunt.
A good Rem 870 in 12ga will cover you for almost every thing.
I bought my used at a pawn shop for 300 bucks.
10 years ago.
And it still works.

The stoger 3020 I put in there because I have one.
Simi auto 20 ga.
The MOSSBERG MAVERICK .
IS PROBABLY THE CHEAPEST YOU WILL FIND.
that is ACTUALLY A REALLY GOOD GUN.
it comes in 12ga and 20 ga

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA