JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a eastern Turkey tag + upland birds and a cougar tag just in case one FIFO. (I'll look for cougars if I can successfully hunt a lil Turkey)
All I'm taking is a cheap little
20 guage H&R 22" barrel
and a Glock 30,
and a ghillie oversuit.
and I'll bring emergency provisions but I don't want to eat until I kill something, the way God intended. I got 3 days off and was gonna hike up around public lands with a map ii got off of here. Maybe you got a better nook in a valley only experience teaches.

Just wondering what kind of stuff you guys like to bring, Turkey calls or stands,, I'm still looking up techniques online.

First never pass up a chance to eat! Hunting and shooting are not the same thing.
Between now and then read everything you can about the birds, what they eat, where they roost, how far they can get from a water source, etc...
Get out now looking for feathers, and poop. Mark on your GPS where these are found, then go back closer to the opener and call just to see if birds are still in the area. From the roosting branch know which way to water and food.
Pattern your shotgun with your hunting loads to see at what distance you can get 5 BB's in a head size target every time. know that distance is as far as you can shoot a bird. And Good Luck DR

You dont want to eat till you kill something but your a beginner hunter? You gonna starve son...

Being hungry in the woods is actually a safety risk, adding that risk intentionally is... not smart. You'll have a better chance of success hunting with a proper diet.
Turkeys, get a slate call and learn it. let them come to you...

What are you going to shoot the cougar with?

So is this 'God's intention' something you are only following because you are 'hunting'?

I suspect you have eaten before, and never killed anything before doing so.
No because hunting or in my probable case bird watching when you're hungry is the natural way of things. I've killed a lot of animals to eat, but I don't eat when I fish. I don't eat when I work. I'm happy just seeing a few turkeys

No because hunting or in my probable case bird watching when you're hungry is the natural way of things. I've killed a lot of animals to eat, but I don't eat when I fish. I don't eat when I work. I'm happy just seeing a few turkeys
My initial impression is that you intended to not eat for the 3 day hunt unless you got one. It sounds now like you just focus intensely on the hunt. As long as your having fun, enjoy.
Id get a slate call and learn to soft cluck and purr on it, if there are turkeys around they will come to it.

You dont want to eat till you kill something but your a beginner hunter? You gonna starve son...

Being hungry in the woods is actually a safety risk, adding that risk intentionally is... not smart. You'll have a better chance of success hunting with a proper diet.
Turkeys, get a slate call and learn it. let them come to you...

What are you going to shoot the cougar with?
It's fall do they even come over when you call them? I got tons of Jerkey I put in soft bags and these nutritional bars that don't melt. Plus I can fish or catch rabbits, I'm not a big fan of squirrels but they roast well. Plus I don't mind fasting a little so I can conceal carry better. I'm fully aware I'm probably going bird watching with some added range time. But I'm taking the whole month of October off I'll get something.

For the cougar I'm thinking about hiking up a hill and using Thermal and digital NV to scope one out before and after dusk and dawn, if I can find a kill I'll just wait until it comes back. I got a .308 and a .45 ACP Glock. Plus a dog net and stakes to cover my back.

It's fall do they even come over when you call them? I got tons of Jerkey I put in soft bags and these nutritional bars that don't melt. Plus I can fish or catch rabbits, I'm not a big fan of squirrels but they roast well. Plus I don't mind fasting a little so I can conceal carry better. I'm fully aware I'm probably going bird watching with some added range time. But I'm taking the whole month of October off I'll get something.

For the cougar I'm thinking about hiking up a hill and using Thermal and digital NV to scope one out before and after dusk and dawn, if I can find a kill I'll just wait until it comes back. I got a .308 and a .45 ACP Glock. Plus a dog net and stakes to cover my back.
Ive never hunted them in the fall so my advice may not work, but I think so. Soft hen clucks and purrs I would think hens use year round, if I recall you can bag a hen in the fall?
I dont recall it being legal to use NV to hunt big game in Oregon....

Ive encountered some big grouse in eastern Oregon, those will keep ya fed. Hares too out there.

Heck, I almost hit a turkey going to a friend's place near the Little Deschutes a while back.

A whole flock of them were running through the neighborhood.
I've still got a higher deer count with my buddies car than I do with my rifle. Car - 1, Rifle - 0.

Deer - Still living in my yard.
1000013746.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews