JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone recommend a good camping spot within 1-2 hours of Portland? Since I moved to Portland and met my wife, I haven't done any "real" camping. My wife's friend usually organizes the trips, and so far, we've only been to places with water and electricity, and bathrooms complete with showers. It's basically camping in a parking lot with tons of other people around.

I've voiced my complaints and now they insist that I pick a spot. Anyone know of a nice spot that's a little more private? Maybe next to a lake or river? There's got to be tons of places here right? Google only seems to bring up the kind of places I'm avoiding. Please help!!:eek:

Mount Hood is within 2 hours of Portland. During the summer there are lots of places you can backpack into and camp.

Or Mt Jefferson Wilderness area, which is outside of Salem.

Go to Powells Books, find a Backpacking Oregon or Oregon Camping book. :) There are TONS of places within 2 hours of Portland.

There are even some in the coastal range, just do a few searches for them. :)

Barview Jetty County Park, near Garabaldi is an excellent camp ground. Yes it has showers, flush toilets and water, but the sites themselves are rustic with dirt/sand ground, tables and fireplaces, some rather open and some quite secluded. I'd think with a two-year-old you would want a place where you could wash up after playing in the sand or surf, AND in case a little one crapped themselves. The park has over 300 sites. The only problem perhaps is it's at the coast, it could be cloudy, cool and breezy all day even in summer. There is a huge sand hill at the park that, for some reason, the kids all seem to love climbing and rolling around on.

All call ahead of time to reserve would be a good idea, they are nice people at the pay booth.

There are also rustic campgrounds up the Clackamas from Estacada all the way up to the Callowash and beyond, with pit toilets and water from old timey pumps that tastes of iron. There have been some issues in the past with "party hounds" from the valley causing problems way up the.

Mike

I see folks camping on the streets and in the parks all the time. From the looks of it theyve been on vacation for a while. Glad to see some folks are still roughing it.

Sorry, I couldnt help it. However, Morpheus mentioned the ones I knew about, best of luck.

Ok I got another one; I hear in an attempt to further help with "public safety" and "camping crime", Multnomah county is banning all open camping unless youve got a camping permit.

Olallie Lake for spectacular views and minimal facilities. Also many great areas in SW Washington in the Mt. Adams and Indian Heaven areas.

Can someone recommend a good camping spot within 1-2 hours of Portland? Since I moved to Portland and met my wife, I haven't done any "real" camping. My wife's friend usually organizes the trips, and so far, we've only been to places with water and electricity, and bathrooms complete with showers. It's basically camping in a parking lot with tons of other people around.

I've voiced my complaints and now they insist that I pick a spot. Anyone know of a nice spot that's a little more private? Maybe next to a lake or river? There's got to be tons of places here right? Google only seems to bring up the kind of places I'm avoiding. Please help!!:eek:

Downtown Portland is a great place to go camping! Make sure to bring your own booze!

Any idea how early you need to get there to get a "first come first serve" spot? Seems like a nice spot. Just a little nervous since I'm making plans for 2 other families.

I've only done hikes there. Don't know how early you would have to get there.

But they have 10 sites and their annual overnight attendance is only 1663, so maybe that means they aren't full all that often. I think most people do it as a day hike. Thus the 55K+ people a year hiking.

Lost Lake. Lost Lake Resort
Not rustic, but you get a beautiful lake and amazing view of Mt Hood!
There is a semi-paved trail that goes all the way around the lake that is good for kids too.

There are also several rustic campgrounds along the river on 224 east of Estacada.

+1 For Lost Lake, grew up going there, so it's a really old lake! Truly beautiful, there are no motors allowed on the lake and you can rent row boats, canoes and paddle boats. No idea about availability. May not be as woodsy or private as you are looking for. I've always backpacked for privacy. Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top