JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does any county in California even consider issuing a concealed handgun license to a non-resident? I live in OR but I visit CA frequently to see relatives. WA carry permit covers all the states I go to except CA. Where is the coolest redneckest county that I could try and ask?

Does any county in California even consider issuing a concealed handgun license to a non-resident? I live in OR but I visit CA frequently to see relatives. WA carry permit covers all the states I go to except CA. Where is the coolest redneckest county that I could try and ask?

I may be wrong, but I don't think California will issue to a non-resident. I believe it is a "may-issue" state, so even if you are a resident, it's a lot tougher to get a permit.

Sorry up front about coming on so strong about it, but: Not a chance in H E double toothpicks. It’s not just tougher for a resident (I was one until mid-last year) to get a CCW – it’s d@mn near impossible. They were giving them in Orange County to residents (sorta) for a while but a new sheriff decided that they would all be revoked (as far as I know – or care – it’s still in the courts now). You can call around but you’ll get a resounding NO F’ING WAY to a CCW pretty much everywhere in the PRC resident or not.

isn't sacramento shall-issue now?

No - there are legally no "shall-issue" counties - it's entierly up to the issuing sheriff department. Here's a list of counties where sheriffs are issuing permits though:

Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database

The ones that are listed as "close to" shall issue are relatively small foothills/mountain counties with small fairly conservative populations. The only reason that Sacramento is flirting with it is due to budget cuts (remember: the PRC has a population ten times that of Oregon and the number of scumb@gs on the streets are FAR higer). In other words: fewer LEO's.

CPL DOESN'T cover you in Oregon. That's why I have both WA and OR licenses. As I remember CA doesn't recognize any other states CCW license.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I think CA is a "Are you ******* KIDDING?" state

I think the bonding for a license is the issue.And with all the law suits,you can see why it would not behoove the state to have a concealed carry permit.

Heck a ton of 22s are illegal because they hold more than 10 rounds.
I wouldn't carry in CA for nothing.It is just to much trouble.
That's why I visit my son,stay in the safe areas and LEAVE

I think CA is a "Are you ******** KIDDING?" state

I think the bonding for a license is the issue.And with all the law suits,you can see why it would not behoove the state to have a concealed carry permit.

Heck a ton of 22s are illegal because they hold more than 10 rounds.
I wouldn't carry in CA for nothing.It is just to much trouble.
That's why I visit my son,stay in the safe areas and LEAVE

Agree. Why go to prison for felon firearm possession? Not my idea of fun, best to stay out of that commie state, especially if you feel you need a firearm to be safe.

Actually it is only a misdemeanor if you get caught illegally CCing in CA. Not that I'm implying anything.:s0131:

Misdemeanor if the handgun is registered in California (purchased or transferred in CA), which wouldn't be the case for an out of state person ;) Unregistered (for whichever reason, even if legally purchased in California prior to 1991) handgun would result in a felony conviction.

Well, on the subject. Generally speaking California has no provision to issue to non-residents. Most counties have residency requirement for CCW, thus non-residents can't even apply for one. However, persons who legally maintain double residency might have a chance.

San Diego had a case that was recently (several weeks ago) lost on that very subject. A person who maintained second residency in San Diego County sued the SD for refusal to issue a permit. If I remember correctly, case was in the Federal District Court. From what I heard, case was lost because the judge didn't want to go out of her area of comfort interpreting 2A. So now the case will likely move to 9th Circuit, and there are very high hopes associated with it.

Edit: here is more info on that case Peruta v. County of San Diego - Calguns Wiki

Misdemeanor if the handgun is registered in California (purchased or transferred in CA), which wouldn't be the case for an out of state person ;) Unregistered (for whichever reason, even if legally purchased in California prior to 1991) handgun would result in a felony conviction.

Oh really? What about the unloaded open carry thing, can you carry a handgun registered in another state (or not registered to you at all) if you are doing unloaded open carry?

Oh really? What about the unloaded open carry thing, can you carry a handgun registered in another state (or not registered to you at all) if you are doing unloaded open carry?

That you can, as the UOC itself is not in violation of any laws (unlike carrying concealed without a permit). I don't know however if penalties are harsher for breaking the law while UOCing an unregistered handgun (for example UOCing in a school zone).

San Diego had a case that was recently (several weeks ago) lost on that very subject. A person who maintained second residency in San Diego County sued the SD for refusal to issue a permit. If I remember correctly, case was in the Federal District Court. From what I heard, case was lost because the judge didn't want to go out of her area of comfort interpreting 2A. So now the case will likely move to 9th Circuit, and there are very high hopes associated with it.

Edit: here is more info on that case Peruta v. County of San Diego - Calguns Wiki

I wouldn't hold my breath - almost nothing good comes from the 9th Circuit. The best thing from the 9th is that they are the most overturned circuit court in the nation - wonderful decisions over the years such as providing free cable to inmates - they required this because there were more channels available at prisons like SQ, Folsom and RJD(near Sand Diego) than at the remote prisons located in the desert or other less populated areas. Soooo - Free cable TV for inmates.

Also - in the case of the CA law - concealed carry in CA can go misdemeanor or felony while concealed carry of a knife with a blade over 4" is a felony. The DA I knew down there said that the issue is clear as mud but in that county the general prosecution rule is - no prior violent charges and no prior firearm charges = misdemeanor. priors or violent history = Felony. As I lived there at the time I never asked about non residents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top