JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember folks, that impoundment (lake) supplies water to the entire lower 2/3rds of the state. If they lose it, they lose 75-80% of the water that's supplied to SoCal and significant portions of the supply to the populous areas from Napa County all the way to LA and even parts of San Diego.
Shasta dam could supply some replacement water if the snowpack in the Sierras holds out.
But Oroville Reservoir is the headwaters of the entire Feather River Project and the California Water Project system. It supplies water to much of the San Joaquin Valley, and much of LA County, Orange County and the Inland Empire.

If it goes down, rationing will be bad enough that I believe there will be a mass exodus out of many areas of California, and agriculture outside of the Imperial Valley will become marginal at best.

California's short-sightedness in allowing additional water storage is about to become glaringly apparent if this thing goes kaput.

Last Edited:
Live news coverage of the disaster can be seen on Sacramento's local CBS News station at the link down below. If the emergency spillway fails, an estimated 154 billion gallons of water could potentially be released in an uncontrolled manner.

Military Helicopters carrying large boulders have been spotted flying towards the failing spillway.

An update news conference is planned for 9pm this evening.

Live Video

Remember folks, that impoundment (lake) supplies water to the entire lower 2/3rds of the state. If they lose it, they lose 75-80% of the water that's supplied to SoCal and significant portions of the supply to the populous areas from Napa County all the way to LA and even parts of San Diego.
Shasta dam could supply some replacement water if the snowpack in the Sierras holds out.
But Oroville Reservoir is the headwaters of the entire Feather River Project and the California Water Project system. It supplies water to much of the San Joaquin Valley, and much of LA County, Orange County and the Inland Empire.

If it goes down, rationing will be bad enough that I believe there will be a mass exodus out of many areas of California, and agriculture outside of the Imperial Valley will become marginal at best.

California's short-sightedness in allowing additional water storage is about to become glaringly apparent if this thing goes kaput.
Sure remember it . There is one guy out there saying I told you so. The rest of the engineers laughed him out of the room said it will never get close to this high.
And if you sent in explosives,there is no telling how much of the soil in front of the dam would move also. At this point one false move could bring it all down.

Back in the 1980's my mother was the director of the Red Cross for Butte County. Her first week on the job some County officials came into her office and told her that Oroville Dam had a large crack in the concrete and to draw up a plan to evacuate Oroville. She died 7 years ago, but I'll bet if she was still here she would be thinking, "I wonder if they are using my plan?'. Mom carried a S&W snubnose. Never had a permit. Interesting note, some time back a gold mining company wanted to buy the town of Oroville to get to the gold it is sitting on.

Last Edited:
They have a large hole at the base of the emergency spillway, and it is worsening despite the decreasing flow over the top! If it breaches, its going to take a large chunk of the emergency spillway from where the hole is toward the parking lot area! According to builders info, that is over 100 feet tall and could breach more then 300 feet wide!!!

One "latest update" I saw says the flow over the emergency spillway has slowed/stopped, and the lake is holding at 100% capacity or slightly less.
Now we'll see how much water the incoming storm dumps on the drainage.

This represents a large problem with our "information now" society where everything that's happened in a hundred years is archived. "The emergency evacuation last time wasn't necessary, so this one isn't, either." Dangerous attitude.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

I am seeing flows over the top at less then one foot and dropping! as of 9:10 pm local time! Other live reports say it's only a few inches from stopping! Ether way, it's going to be a Looooooooooong night ahead, and a big day tomorrow for Helo crews and ground personal! Best thing we can hope for is that they can plug the hole with bags and spraying in quick dry cement!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top