JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember a few years back watching a deliberate destruction of an earthen gravity dam somewhere in OR on the Oregon Field Guide programme. The 'experts' said that once it was breached, it would take about 24 hours to wash away the 'remains'.

I think it had gone completely after around 30 minutes....:eek:

tac

Last Edited:
Not the 1st time an earthen dam broke: Johnstown PA flood cause destruction for over 50 miles.
San Franciscito canyon Ca flood was another one.

The level of incompetence in this mess is absolutely staggering!

California has plenty of money to spend on a bullet train to nowhere but not to keep the country's tallest dam in proper working order? Accordingly, the primary spillway fails in epic fashion. The secondary emergency spillway is essentially raw earth...and has never been tested. What could possibly go wrong?

Now I'm not a dam expert or a hydro engineer. But even I can tell you what will probably happen when you run millions of gallons of water over raw earth. The spillway will erode and fail faster than you can say, "holy crap the dam is about to overflow!"

People should lose their jobs over this starting with idiot Governor, Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown and his moronic henchman, Gavin "I Banged My Best Friends Wife" Newsome. Gavin is even posting pictures on his Facebook page today, showing him at the staging center as if this should make us feel safe that this moron is overseeing this mess.

To add to this comedy you got Gov Moonbeam giving Trump a giant middle finger last week, saying he doesn't need the Fed's money, in response to Trump threatening to withhold federal funding from sanctuary cities. Now Moonbeam has to swallow his pride and is begging for federal disaster money to help cleanup the mess that he is ultimately responsible for. You really can't make this stuff up.

California charges over 9% in state income tax on top 8% sales tax, large fuel taxes, car registration taxes, etc., etc. Californians are the most heavily taxed in the nation. So where the hell does all that money go? I have no idea but I can tell you where it doesn't go...to keep our dams properly maintained. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
California doesn't have too good a track record on dam failures: the Baldwin Hills Dam and Mulholland(St Francis Dam) and also the Salton Sea fiasco. If I lived in California I wouldn't trust a word of the so called experts and officials say. Heck, I barely believe what their Oregon and Washington counterparts have to say. My grandfather was an Army engineer who worked on Bommeville, The Dalles, Lookout Point, Dexter and Hills Creek Dams. Even though I am sure he was a very competent engineer I can't help but think even then they might have gotten run over even in the 1930-60's by the higher ups and the politicians. I spent part of my summers with my grandparents in the 50's & '60's and he would take me to work with him occasionally and remember him questioning some things. I really wish now I had been older and been able to understand what was going on. My father used to take me to work also and with conversations at the family dinner table I have some very interesting insights on how school districts in the Portland area were run and It is a lot worse today. Also going to parties in Eastmoreland attended by the elite politicians of Portland in the early 80's left me with some interesting insights and also certain members of Metro. And people wonder why I don;t trust politicians

Now I'm not a dam expert or a hydro engineer. But even I can tell you what will probably happen when you run millions of gallons of water over raw earth. The spillway will erode and fail faster than you can say, "holy crap the dam is about to overflow!"

Ahem, please see my post above re earth dam in Oregon. Sure, I got the duration of the breakout wrong, but then it was a long time ago, and I'm forgetful these days.

Funny old thing, but I have a great connection with dams and stuff. My Masters dissertation was based on the history of Glacial Lake Missoula and its multiple late Ice Age breakouts that made the Washington Scablands, and 'left Vista House perched on a promontory almost 800 feet about the railroad tracks in the gorge', according to one elderly gentleman I spoke to a while back...

tac, who sees most all, and knows most least.

Last Edited:
The earthen dams get coated with concrete, as do the spillways.
how far out does the coating go? I don't know.
Dams get coated, or are made entirely of concrete (Hoover Dam)

I was directly in the way of potential washout by the Van Norman Dam in 1971.
We had to evacuate for several weeks till the lake was drained.
1971 San Fernando Quake Van Norman Dam slide_18.jpg

I remember a few years back watching a deliberate destruction of an earthen gravity dam somewhere in OR on the Oregon Field Guide programme. The 'experts' said that once it was breached, it would take about 24 hours to wash away the 'remains'.

I think it had gone completely after around 30 minutes....:eek:

tac

While not an earthen dam, the Condit dam on the White Salmon river happened as you say. You can see the details at:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top