JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know if Cabela's has a price protection policy?
I bought a handgun at Cabela's - ordered online 6/24 and picked up in store 6/28 for $850. Today I received an email from Northwest Armory offering the same gun for $750, with a free range bag! Before I drive down, I'd like to know the odds of getting that $100 back.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance...

To be honest, I am kind of tired of dealing with Cabela's. I have pretty low expectations of retailers in general. Have what I want, have a clearly marked price to allow me to decide whether or not to purchase, and we'll get along fine. Do it consistently, and I will spend thousands with a store over the course of years.

• I bought a Sigp320 rx at Cabelas.com on 6/24 and had it shipped to Tualatin.
  • On 6/28, I rushed down after work to pick it up. Upon arriving at the firearm checkout counter, there are 2 people being helped and 5 people behind the counter. I think that I will get helped fairly quickly but instead wait 20+ minutes for my turn. During this time, there are 3 people behind the counter seemingly not working.
  • I show them my paperwork for the online order and the sales guy says he will right back
  • About 5 minutes later he returns with my handgun and allows me to inspect it.
  • It is the stainless model and I wanted the black. I mention this and he attempts to track it down. The sales guy remains friendly and helpful during the whole story, I have no problem with him. But it takes 10 minutes and a walk to the Sig display case to identify the SKU for the black slide version.
  • Please note that when purchasing a handgun from cabelas.com, you choose from a list of variants for the model. If color is not on the list, you don't get to choose color.
  • He finds a black-slide version and says he has to process it. I fill out the (computerized) 4473 and wander the store for 20 minutes.
  • When I get back, he informs me that he has been unable to find a manager to return the stainless slide model and I will need to purchase the black slide model as a separate transaction. They will process the return as soon as they find a manager. I say this is ok, we can do that. This is interesting to me in the abstract - I have purchased a gun that they need to return but it has never left the gun counter
  • We process the transaction and I leave, about 85 minutes after I walked in.
  • The return of the stainless slide model happened the next day. Overall, it was a bad experience for me. I don't like them picking a gun for me, then penalizing me in time and money for not accepting their choice and I won't get a firearm at cabelas.com for instore pickup ever again.

I get what you're saying, but be that as it may, you're probably still better off asking an actual Cabela's employee than you are some random folks on the internet. Plus, if you've got such a hate one for Cabela's that you don't want to make a two minute phone call to them, you're probably going to really hate going back to the store to try and do a price match.

But anyway, to the best of my knowledge, Cabela's doesn't do any sort of price protection like that. However, some credit card companies do. If you paid with a CC, call them and see if they can help you.

I put one of the guns in their "library" on lay away. When it came time to go get it, I noticed they had a 10% off sale going on. They honored it, saving me about 70 bucks IIRC.

I bet your personal time and gas money would have come close to any difference in price a small independant local gun store would have asked for the exact gun you wanted the first time around...

I got almost 120 bucks knocked off my recent pistol purchase at Cabelas and the sales guys told me quietly that the manager can flex a bit on price with out any price matching, and with, they told me they would!

Cabelas prices are higher than most LGS.

Maybe so, if you are comparing a glock to a glock etc.

I generally go in to their "Library", which is where they have the OOP, pre-owned and one of a kind rare stuff. If you find exactly what you have been looking for and factor in the fact that they have lay away, lowered interest rates on their in-house Visa cards for in-stock items and "Cabela Points".... the savings can add up.

I have generally found Cabelas to be right in the middle on prices, some times they have a gun at a better price, and others not so much, but they do have a pretty good selection in both the new and used sections, and often times, they have guns no one else has or can get, plus you can order on line and have shipped to the store, and that can save you money too! I find the sales pricing at Cabelas is competitive and that gets me in the doors when I am looking for hard to find arms that I wanna see and touch before I decide to buy!

So you bought the gun on June 24th, have had the gun since June 28th? Today, almost a month later you want them to price match?
Did I get that right?o_Oo_Oo_O
It's a real thing, not at every store and not on firearms, it seems. Many retailers will do price protection or price adjustments as long as you are in the return policy since it is easier for them to offer a small refund rather than accept a return. I did call Cabelas and they explained they do not do this.

To be honest, I am kind of tired of dealing with Cabela's. I have pretty low expectations of retailers in general. Have what I want, have a clearly marked price to allow me to decide whether or not to purchase, and we'll get along fine. Do it consistently, and I will spend thousands with a store over the course of years.

• <snip>
  • We process the transaction and I leave, about 85 minutes after I walked in.
  • The return of the stainless slide model happened the next day. Overall, it was a bad experience for me. I don't like them picking a gun for me, then penalizing me in time and money for not accepting their choice and I won't get a firearm at cabelas.com for instore pickup ever again.

Sadly the tale you're telling here seems to be the norm for this store these days. Things other than firearms seem fine. I keep seeing multiple tales of people who went to buy a gun and felt like they needed to order food while they waited. I am guessing the problem here is each store has maybe one person they trust to do something like a firearm sale.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews