JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the benefits to having a C&R license, with the new states gun laws? Part of this question was on a different forum. Living in Washington, if I were to buy something on line, without a C&R: I would pay for shipping, tax and a transfer through a FFL. If I had a C&R license, I suppose I could avoid the tax and find a cheaper transfer option to comply with the new laws; which could be $10 for the transfer and not paying 10% tax.

Not sure about Washington state laws. (though I'm pretty sure you still have to pay tax) But the way it is supposed to work is you can purchase firearms older than 50 years or on the C&R list (Curios & Relics | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) from a local dealer or out of state dealer without doing a background check or transfer fee.

For example. you could send a copy of the C&R license to these guys and then have this rifle shipped directly to your house.
Unissued SKS Rifle Yugo 7.62X39 Cal. - C&R Longguns - Longguns - Southern Ohio Gun

Since the license costs $30. You start saving money pretty quickly not paying background checks adn transfer fees.

You have to keep a bound book (record purchases and sales in a book with serial numbers).

You used to be able to also use it to get dealer discounts at several places. The only one that I know of that still honors it is Brownells. You email them a copy of your license and the give you dealer prices. If can runs from 0% to 30%. Items that typically sell to dealers like gunsmith tools have higher discounts.

Here is a laser boresighter and the dealer price is in green. About $25 off. Again, for the $30 cost of the license I've saved way more than that at just brownells.

10.png

Now that surplus C&R guns are drying up, its not that great of a benefit anymore. When you could order a Mosin for $100, not paying a 1/3 of it in transfer fees was a good deal.

In Oregon, the universal background check bill indirectly made it a requirement to get a background check even with C&R guns so they made the license essentially useless. So I wont be renewing mine.

I travel quite a bit and if I'm in another state and I see a 50+ year old pistol or rifle I want I can buy it there on my C&R. Washington can't tell me what not to do when I'm in another state if I am complying with federal law and the laws of the state I'm in.

Washington law seems to say that you need to go through a dealer if you have a C&R item shipped in so keep that in mind if you want to stay completely legal. C&R people in other states may not be up on the law in WA and are willing to ship to you 90% of the time so do what makes you feel good.

I was going to get one when I lived in Hillsboro but decided against it due to SB941. Now that I am in Boise, it will come in handy.

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me, I just completed my application....:s0022:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top