JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Could someone provide me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I've searched the forums and came across bits and pieces about this process (living trust, $200 etc.) but I couldn't find anything about the whole process.

Is this something the dealer handles or is there some preparation of paperwork I need to do on my end first before I go shopping? Is anyone with a clear background (have my CHL) approved or are there other prerequisites?

Thanks for any help!

I copied this from another site to edit and put on my FFL site that will be up soon. Hope it helps. it hasnt been edited yet.

The following material explains what you must do in order to legally purchase a silencer, or other designated Class 3/Title 2 items. It also explains some of our tasks in this process.
1. You must be 21 years of age or older and legally able to qualify for the purchase of a regular handgun (meaning no felonies, violent misdemeanours, dishonourable discharges, etc.)
2. Pay us for the product, payment must be in full.
3. Get two 2"x2" passport photographs taken. Attach one to the reverse side of each of the two copies of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) Form 4 we give you. These photos typically cost $5 to $10.
4. Complete a small section on the reverse side of the BATF Form 4 that declares why you wish to possess the item. Most folks say "Collector of firearms".
5. Take the two copies of the Form 4, with pictures attached and your section completed to your local law enforcement agency (city police or county sheriff). Also take the two FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint cards we will give you. Ask the agency to officially take your fingerprints. This will usually cost $10 to $15. Also ask to have the chief of the agency complete his/her section of the reverse side of the Form 4. This merely attests that you are not wanted locally and that the official knows of no law which will be broken if you are approved by the government.
6. Bring us the two copies of the Form 4 and both completed fingerprint cards. We will complete the front of the forms. We then get a money order made out to the BATF ($5 for an "Any Other Weapon" or $200 for a short-barrelled rifle, short-barrelled shotgun, silencer or machine gun). We will then put the two copies of the completed Form 4's, the two completed fingerprint cards and the money order in an envelope and immediately send it to the BATF office in Chicago, IL.
7. The BATF will first remove the money order and examine the paperwork for completeness. Assuming the paperwork is complete (it will be, or we will not mail it in), it will be assigned to an agent, who will have a nationwide FBI background check performed on you. Once you pass this (all legal folks over 21 pass it), the BATF will mail us back a certified copy of one of the Form 4's we sent them. On this copy will be a stamp that looks like a postage stamp. This is a Federal tax stamp indicating the transfer tax is paid.
8. When we receive this Form 4 back with a stamp on it (about 90 days after we mail it in), we will call you and have you come by the shop, complete a BATF Form 4473 and give you the product along with the Form 4. You should immediately make several copies of the Form 4 and carry one with you at all times you have the product. Be sure to put the original in a safe place.
Once you have legal possession of the Class 3/Title 2 item you may not take the item across state lines unless you notify the BATF in writing before doing so. We have these forms available for a small fee. You are not asking for their approval but, instead, merely letting them know you are taking a Class 3/Title 2 item across state line(s) and when you will depart and return.
You may not loan this Class 3/Title 2 item to anyone! You may not store this item at a friend's home who has access to it. This is a restricted distribution item. To possess it requires (at the very least) an extensive background check. You are obligated by law (and common sense) to prevent unqualified people from gaining access to it. You may let others use the item if they remain in your physical presence.

I just mailed in my paperwork on Monday ... I expect it will take 60-90 days. BTW, I have plenty of threaded barrel rifles and a few threaded hanguns ... :)

Last Edited:
I just mailed in my paperwork on Monday ... I expect it will take 60-90 days. BTW, I have plenty of theaded barrel rifles and a few threaded hanguns ... :)

I sent mine in on November 9, check cashed Nov. 19, I called the other day to check the status, it had been "assigned" Jan 4 and the guy told my it would be 60-90 from Jan 4.. About a year and a half ago my first suppressor took 59 days (mailed to approved), so they have slowed down considerably.

BTW, this was for a form 1 to construct a SBR. I sent in a form 4 to purchase a suppressor on Dec 23., I haven't even bothered to check the status of that yet.

So I have 2 questions (if I can chime in on this) 1) If buying a suppressor for a 22 LR, I can use on other 22LRs firearms I own (or is it linked to one specific firearm)? 2) Are their any county restrictions Like if I live in washington County but want to purchase from a dealer in Clackamas county?

So I have 2 questions (if I can chime in on this) 1) If buying a suppressor for a 22 LR, I can use on other 22LRs firearms I own (or is it linked to one specific firearm)? 2) Are their any county restrictions Like if I live in washington County but want to purchase from a dealer in Clackamas county?

You can use them on any thing they fit, that's the beauty of a detachable can. There is no county to county restriction.

The suppressor can be used on any firearm you want. The suppressor is the item listed on the NFA registry, not your other firearms(hosts).

You can buy from any title 2 dealer in the state you reside in. I'd buy from a local dealer as it will not be as convienent to drive from Portland to Medford to pick up a suppressor.

So I decided that I do want a suppressor...Where's the best place to buy one locally? What are the best 9mm suppressors? Anything to look for specifically when shopping for one?

Now for the stupid question...Do any of them sound like they do on TV (like a laser?)? I've heard a few suppressors before and none of them sound like the ones in Hollywood. Makes me wonder where they came up with that sound in the first place.

Thanks again!

So I decided that I do want a suppressor...Where's the best place to buy one locally? What are the best 9mm suppressors? Anything to look for specifically when shopping for one?

Now for the stupid question...Do any of them sound like they do on TV (like a laser?)? I've heard a few suppressors before and none of them sound like the ones in Hollywood. Makes me wonder where they came up with that sound in the first place.

Thanks again!

The best silencer dealers in OR are:
Oregon Research Labs
Fortmoe Arms

Anything else is second best. Period.

.22 cans are "Hollywood Quiet"

So I decided that I do want a suppressor...Where's the best place to buy one locally?
Thanks again!

The best places are the ones who have the suppressor you are looking at in stock and at a good price.

I'd research what you want and then call the manufacturer and see who carries their wares and then call or stop by.

Oregon Research Labs
Fortmoe Arms

Anything else is second best. Period.

+1
When someone is holding an expensive item for you while you wait on a tax stamp, you want it to be someone you can trust. Either one of the two companies listed is someone you can trust, and have MANY satisfied customers.

If Pat at Oregon Research Labs has it in stock, you can try it out in the back behind his shop.

If you compare prices and find someone cheaper, you can also use ORL as your local transferring dealer.

I've bought several suppressors through Oregon Research Labs, he helped me get my first can several years ago.

Oregon Research Labs
Fortmoe Arms

Anything else is second best. Period.[/SIZE]

I bought two suppressors through Pat and would highly recommend him. In fact I've sent several friends to both of these guys and they have all had very good experiences. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top