JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well I hope it gets better soon, I had to learn to walk again took me 2 years due to a broken back now I am older I have to use a cane and still some times my back pinches and down I go lol . I look like a old drunk man when I am grocery shopping lol but hey I can walk . wishing you the best my friend and a speedy recovery .... will let you know how I do when I get back from hunting hope this rain helps . It was dry and the deer were all up high and not in the alfalfa so hope this will bring them back down off the privet land, if I do good will send some tenderloin your way and some burger .

I know that feeling all too well. Just losing one crutch feels like freedom - you can actually carry something to another room! :D

The only advice I can give you is to switch gears mentally. It sounds corny, but do anything you can to enjoy 'today'. You will be back on your feet again; no sense in burning days waiting. I know - easier said than done.

If you're able - just get out of the house and do something. A change of scenery really helped me. I just tried to do everything I could to be 'normal' while I was on crutches.

Hang in there - you're on the home stretch!

I know that feeling all too well. Just losing one crutch feels like freedom - you can actually carry something to another room! :D

The only advice I can give you is to switch gears mentally. It sounds corny, but do anything you can to enjoy 'today'. You will be back on your feet again; no sense in burning days waiting. I know - easier said than done.

If you're able - just get out of the house and do something. A change of scenery really helped me. I just tried to do everything I could to be 'normal' while I was on crutches.

Hang in there - you're on the home stretch!

I'm getting out a few times a week for PT but my natural grace and balance was so off even after getting off the narcotics that after falling in the kitchen twice in 3 days (once in a pile of crutches, me and the too much stuff I was trying to get from the dinning room to the kitchen and then another time just falling off a stool because I was sliding it and was putting too much weight on it at the time when it hit the edge of a tile) my wife and daughter get irate with me if I do anything on my own unless it's heading the the bathroom lol:rolleyes:!.

I'm not 'supposed' to be driving but it's an automatic and my right leg is the good one so I've been getting out a bit more and helping with some small errands to ease some of my wife's burden which also gets me off the couch so I'm dealing.

Great advice to live in the moment - that's hard on a good day for me so it's been an excersise in practice every day.

Not holding my breath. It my physical therapist thinks with my gains over the last few weeks that I may even be able to walk without a cane in a week or so - that would be incredible!!!

I volunteer for a convention each year and it's coming up in a few weeks so there is plenty to keep me busy but it adds a little stress on top of maybe being able to walk sooner then I thought and will be looking for a job by the end of the month I hope.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel:cool:. I've made some significant dietary adjustments and am really excited to get my exercise program back together

I'm getting out a few times a week for PT but my natural grace and balance was so off even after getting off the narcotics that after falling in the kitchen twice in 3 days (once in a pile of crutches, me and the too much stuff I was trying to get from the dinning room to the kitchen and then another time just falling off a stool because I was sliding it and was putting too much weight on it at the time when it hit the edge of a tile) my wife and daughter get irate with me if I do anything on my own unless it's heading the the bathroom lol:rolleyes:!.

I've been there in a pile of crutches. One time in the kitchen when nobody was home, and I wasn't sure I could get up. I sat there for a few minutes deciding whether to call someone to come and help me, or try on my own. Then I remembered I couldn't reach the beer and managed to prop myself up against the counter :p

I'm not 'supposed' to be driving but it's an automatic and my right leg is the good one so I've been getting out a bit more and helping with some small errands to ease some of my wife's burden which also gets me off the couch so I'm dealing.

Ah, man - I remember the first day I got to drive again. It felt *almost* as good as that first time I drove alone when I was 16. So tired of sitting in the passenger seat; I'm sure my 'chauffeurs' were tired of my backseat driving, too :D

Not holding my breath. It my physical therapist thinks with my gains over the last few weeks that I may even be able to walk without a cane in a week or so - that would be incredible!!!

I'm telling you - even one crutch or a cane feels like freedom after being on crutches for an extended period. I was only on one crutch because of weight bearing, or I would have ditched it immediately.

You're close to the end of the tunnel and it was a long, bubblegum tunnel!

I've been there in a pile of crutches. One time in the kitchen when nobody was home, and I wasn't sure I could get up. I sat there for a few minutes deciding whether to call someone to come and help me, or try on my own. Then I remembered I couldn't reach the beer and managed to prop myself up against the counter :p

Ah, man - I remember the first day I got to drive again. It felt *almost* as good as that first time I drove alone when I was 16. So tired of sitting in the passenger seat; I'm sure my 'chauffeurs' were tired of my backseat driving, too :D

I'm telling you - even one crutch or a cane feels like freedom after being on crutches for an extended period. I was only on one crutch because of weight bearing, or I would have ditched it immediately.

You're close to the end of the tunnel and it was a long, bubblegum tunnel!

EVERYTHING you said!!!:cool:

I'll have an update tomorrow night:rolleyes:

Want to make your nights more surprising? Since my accident I have been on morphine, Norco, flexeril etc...when I have a bourbon on top of that, I wake up to a whole bunch of gunbroker emails, "Congratulations you are the winning bidder"
Drunk me is so friggin kind to sober me!

E

My Medical provider has me on a pain management contract, have to pee for my pills! Though legal in Oregon, still illegal federally, and my provider is Federally funded. Be careful! Last compliance inspection there were inquiries about medical Marijuana cardholders, and about 3 weeks ago someone was denied a instacheck based on being a card holder, don't know the details, heard it on Kxl.

My Medical provider has me on a pain management contract, have to pee for my pills! Though legal in Oregon, still illegal federally, and my provider is Federally funded. Be careful! Last compliance inspection there were inquiries about medical Marijuana cardholders, and about 3 weeks ago someone was denied a instacheck based on being a card holder, don't know the details, heard it on Kxl.

I was recommended it for my gut issues but same thing, avoided it because of the federal issues.

Only said something about it cuz pills and alcohol are an iffy game.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel:cool:

That is good to hear. Focusing on the future can keep you going. Some years back, I was laid up after from some fairly serious surgeries (note plural), so I know it sucks big time to not be completely mobile. (And "sucks" is the only way I can put it without getting really salty). In all seriousness, hang in their, man. This too will pass.

:s0088:

Last Edited:
Want to make your nights more surprising? Since my accident I have been on morphine, Norco, flexeril etc...when I have a bourbon on top of that, I wake up to a whole bunch of gunbroker emails, "Congratulations you are the winning bidder"
Drunk me is so friggin kind to sober me!

E

Isn't it fun getting surprise gifts from yourself? So thoughtful! :D

I am officially standing and walking as much as I can tolerate!!!

I am still using the crutches right now to help with support but I should be able to down grade to a crutch in a week or so at the rate my PT is going:cool:.

I honestly don't know if I can walk without them as I'm very gun shy about tearing it again so I'm going to keep doing the increased PT excersises I received today and move into it slowly.

My good friend has me finally switched off high fructose syrups and now off of sugar almost completely.

I've been super skeptical about stevia but after him downloading all his research on me I am at least willing to try it.

Breads and those types of carbs are going to be an even bigger challenge to get away from (note I am not stopping them completely but some days that's all I've been able to handle with my stomach).

Made a beef stew last night that was like heaven (my wife has go to meals and is a baker not a cooker, but I love to cook and then eat lol!).

Protein shake in the AM is still going great but I need to find something for the 2pm-3pm time so I'm not starving by dinner around 6pm.

I've put on a few pounds this last week or two stress eating but I'm hoping I'll be able to curb that now that I can actually move some around the house without it being a major issue.

Pretty much on the mend so I'm going to stop posting here and just use the Excersise thread to keep track of my muscle gains and weight losses.

Many many Thanks to everyone's encouragement and help staying motivated!!! It has been a tremendous help and is/was greatly appreciated:cool:.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top