JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Business Rifle" is a term most usually associated with the Buffalo trade in the late 1800's. Then, it meant a gun that was nothing less than a precision-made and precision-performing Crescent Wrench: a Tool of the Trade.

The gun that "Got Things Done".

This inquiry is most certainly directed toward hunting rather than personal defense. Consider your hunting guns. The ones that work. Everytime. The gun you grab when the chips are down.

But DO NOT make this exclusionary toward your personal defense guns; I can offer an example where a gun purchased as "Tactical" has actually become a "Business Rifle" of the first order in the field, to a rate of usage it would (hopefully) never have seen toward its original purpose.
I don't think the term "business rifle" has any meaning nowadays. If it was 1800s and you made your living hunting goose (or whatever) and bringing them to market to sell I could see that. But today imo it is meaningless.

I recall seeing videos of multi barrel 22 rimfire goose guns that fired a volley of rounds at one time. It was designed in Britain I think for geese on the water for the purpose of hunters efficiently bringing the most product to market.

53A0FE36-20F0-4D3E-BA0E-55B635D5A904.jpeg
47C21F67-039B-43B0-B62D-ABF34362F2D8.jpeg
4CE89ED4-B5B5-4B98-9666-5E5D08009073.jpeg
Maybe hunting rifles for guided hunts in Africa still exist I don't know. That might be a contemporary example. Cooper's scout gun I believe is still made by steyr if I'm not mistaken. But that is more for "sport" than business I think unless you are the guide company and you rent them out or whatever.

Business rifle to me is analogous to a "work truck", vs a vehicle used for personal stuff or for fun/pleasure ("sport"). All just imo.

Last Edited:
You are correct sir. I was not hunting, controll operations across the state
In this role where it is your business or livelihood (ie used for work), I would totally agree that's a "business rifle" (IMO).

I would guess you can't afford to mess around with guns that don't efficiently get the job done (just like a work truck won't cut it if it can't get the job done) but just a guess.

In this role where it is your business or livelihood (ie used for work), I would totally agree that's a "business rifle" (IMO).

I would guess you can't afford to mess around with guns that don't efficiently get the job done (just like a work truck won't cut it if it can't get the job done) but just a guess.
A professional hunter, who operated his operation on an African game preserve, told me he used the 22-250 exclusively for culling animals. Many of those animals are bigger and tougher than elk. 50gr bullet at 3600 fps in a surgically accurate rifle. All head shots.

As far as my go-to rifle, I would point to my M700 BDL Stainless in 30-06. It's been cerakoted, bedded into a fiberglass stock, and has a Zeiss 3-9x scope in Warne rings & bases. It's not pretty by any means. But it's always been meant to be my failsafe rifle for any hunt anywhere. I generally prefer blued steel and walnut chambered in some sort of odd-ball caliber. But if I need to eliminate a variable, this 700 gets the nod.

I have been using the 150gr Barnes TTSX with enough H4895 to get 3000 fps. I have a load using 180gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds that will get just north of 2800 fps.

7C9FECD4-0EF8-496D-88C5-A178882DB478.jpeg

"There have been others before..."

But now for 27 years, my "Business Rifle" for getting things done in a predictable, reliable and durable fashion has been a Remington Model 700 Stainless BDL, Caliber .270 Winchester.

It was purpose-purchased for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt: Self-guided for Dall Sheep with my brother in Alaska. I pillared and glassed/floated the factory stock, painted it in granite stone, and lived on half a paycheck to buy a 4.5-14 AO Leupold with AccuRange. I knew I'd be shooting the hell out of it for a year before the hunt, so I braked it, too.

Since then, it is always the fallback: always the one that works. It will hit and kill anything I correctly direct it at at any range at which I choose.

It also wasn't my first .270. I already KNEW that worked.

1656993421036.png

"There have been others before..."

But now for 27 years, my "Business Rifle" for getting things done in a predictable, reliable and durable fashion has been a Remington Model 700 Stainless BDL, Caliber .270 Winchester.

It was purpose-purchased for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt: Self-guided for Dall Sheep with my brother in Alaska. I pillared and glassed/floated the factory stock, painted it in granite stone, and lived on half a paycheck to buy a 4.5-14 AO Leupold with AccuRange. I braked it because I shot the hell out of it for a full year before the hunt.

Since then, it is always the fallback: always the one that works. It will hit and kill anything I correctly direct it at at any range at which I choose.

It also wasn't my first .270. I already KNEW that worked.

View attachment 1234506

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR