JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ever look up the ft/lbs of force on a 22lr vs a 17HMR

@ 100 yards?
HMR: 136ft/lbs 17 grain
22: 92ft/lbs on High Velocity ammo 40 grain

@ Muzzle:
HMR: 245ft/lbs 17 grain
22: 116ft/lbs (standard non high velocity) 40 grain

Slower round, may be heavier but has less shock power. I just can't see something with 2500fps not being chosen over something a little bigger (but with 2x the weight) and 1/2 the velocity.

HMR rounds with the plastic tips explode. Either way though 22 or HMR your going to have that yote run. Unless it's a brain shot.

HMR Data taken from:
<broken link removed>

22 data:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm

I'm not trying to start a caliber debate. If I was to choose a round for hunting coyotes it would not be rimfire. My interest is in getting educated guesses on what happened to that particular yote :s0155:

Yeah, no caliber debates.

One would assume it would probably run off and life for a while before dying from it's injuries. Not really a clean kill. 75 yards with a 40grain or even 32 grain hollow point isn't a lot of force. (which is what I was pointing out) so it's really not that efficient.

Not really a clean kill. 75 yards with a 40grain or even 32 grain hollow point isn't a lot of force. (which is what I was pointing out) so it's really not that efficient.

I agree 100% . I guess the real question is if that shot could be fatal or not? My guess is probably not from the bullet impact. Possibly from some sort of secondary wound infection?

Impact: no

Hollow points, that don't hit bone and stop. So no shoulder shots. I guess you'd want maximum explosion within the chest cavity. You could make it suffocate with lungshot, heart explosion from a quartering shot. but not worth a broadside.

Yeah, no caliber debates.

One would assume it would probably run off and life for a while before dying from it's injuries. Not really a clean kill. 75 yards with a 40grain or even 32 grain hollow point isn't a lot of force. (which is what I was pointing out) so it's really not that efficient.

Speaking from personal experience, 75+ yds with a .22lr is not enough to drop a coyote unless you get lucky with a spine/head/soft tissue shot. (also from personal experience) 5 rounds in the vitals wasn't enough, and he was able to make it onto private property, where he probably died later. Maybe I just got a really tough one. I felt really bad about that. 22Mag I wouldn't hesitate. But right now my favorite is the .204 with a non-ballistic tipped bullet.

Cute...not practical in most circumstances..but cute.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top