Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bullets that are legal to hunt yotes

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by ruger45blackhawk, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

Ok I called OSP to find out what the laws are concerning bullets used for coyote hunting? They could not differentiate between the regulations for general hunting and FMJ and military rounds being illegal?
    Is there a difference between varmint hunting and general big game hunting?
    Are yotes considered predators?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

any bullet for yotes

3. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

More along the lines of humanity.

4. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

At minimum a higher end .22 centerfire - IE. .223 Rem and the like - I use a .243.

5. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

3.5" buckshot

6. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

If it flies through the air and does damage to a coyote, its not only legal, its the right thing to do. Minimum? Spitwad from a rubber band. Hold on the eye. Rinse and repeat as necessary for best results. No charge for this service. Next question?

7. Hondo

Hondo Keizer Member

168 gr. Nosler HPBT from a .308. Humane ****, drill a hole right through em. They are a predator. You should try California I heard they're plentiful down there. Say...LA County area.

8. BigBluePup

BigBluePup S.W. Washington New Member

Small game any caliber is legal, I use a 22-250 45g HP, shooting about 4,000fps (not chrono) drops um stone dead and does no pelt damage. (unless you hit them in the shoulder blade that can make a mess lol)

9. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

Anyone ever use Hevishot "dead coyote"? Just curious.......

10. blind as a bat

blind as a bat northwest New Member

I use my grandfathers 222 and yes coyotes are predators. if your going to be calling them in. i like to use my 12ga.. they do come in fast

11. ruger45blackhawk

Thanks for all the replies!!
    My next question is magazine capacity. Is the 5 round maximum capacity for any semi auto (as listed in Regs) applicable to coyotes?

12. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Magazine capacity shouldn't apply to predator hunting. Just don't have a cougar or bear tag in your pocket if you are using a larger magazine. IMO a larger magazine is just extra weight you have to lug around. If you miss a yote on the first shot, they are gonna be long gone in a hurry.

13. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

I find a 204 ruger quiet sufficient out to 300 yd or a little better.

14. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

In my area, it is wooded, with small clearings. The coyotes come in fast, and get spooked and disapear fast, so I use 00 buck, in a semi auto 12ga. I rarely have time to get a quality aimed shot, or work a bolt.

15. ruger45blackhawk

I guess the Verminaters video I watched makes it look all TOO easy!!
    There appeared to be a lot of open country with long shots as well as some up close and personnel enabling the use of a .22 mag. :cool:

16. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

I got one coyote with my brand new Ruger 10/22 carbine.... open sights. One shot dropped him like a pile of hamburger.

Had some on my property last season, thought I'd try and get one or three of em. I guess they got wind of my plan somehow, as they seem to have shifted their den sites... haven't heard a one since about last September.

17. ruger45blackhawk

Dag nabit still waitin fer my Leupold Mark AR for my AR15 to go hunt the little ____turds!!! Need some AA 2015 powder too!!

18. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps Raymond Member

If I had a shot that was close enough I would use my 17 magnum!
    Any bullet that you can find in your truck is a good one for yotes. 22 to 458!

19. Butcher45

Butcher45 Eugene Member

I hunt coyotes with my air rifle. It shoots 210grain .45Colt slugs at 780fps, though I killed this one with a roundball going around 870fps or so.

FirstCoyote004.jpg

20. donFG

donFG SOUTH HILL PUYALLUP, WA. New Member

Would like to know where on the east side of the cascades in this state of Wash. you could hunt coyotes without buying acreage to do so. Any general locations would be much appreciated.
    As far as what to use on the critters I personally will be using a 220 Swift in a Ruger # 1 that I bought from a fella in Southern Calif. new unfired, had my smith look it over, got a clean bill of health so I kept it. The first time I Ran a patch through it to lube the barrel I got RUST. Upon further inspection you could see where metal had flacked off at the mussel. It's been at Ruger in N.H. since March 3rd while they try to decide if they have a barrel or not.
    Anyhow in anticipation of it's eventual return I'll need to know where to go. THANK's