Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bullet weight - how important when...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by deen_ad, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

shooting for defensive practice only?
    Want to order more .45 ammo. I carry a Kahr P45 with Golden Saber +P 185 grain HP's.
    I can get 185 gr hollow points for $399/1000 or 230 FMJ for 319/1000

Is having the 185 gr worth the add'l $80/1000 if all I do is use it for practice?

2. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

EDIT - I am an idiot......your looking at loaded ammo....not bullets. Dismiss my post please.....

Wow......your looking at dropping a ton of cash on bullets. I buy mine from here............185gr HP and I love them

https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

unless you just want to "get to know the gun" if you shoot 1 type of ammo, but "carry" another, the outcome can be different. Practice with what you carry, or at the very least; BE SURE they shoot same poi/poa.

4. deen_ad

Any way to tell how much different? I do practice with what I carry but I also need to just practice in general. I'd like to practice all the time with what I carry but at $35 plus tax for 25 rds. it's kind of prohibitive!

5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Before you buy 1000rds I'd buy one box of each (185 and 230) and see where their point of impact is compared to your carry load.

6. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

It is also dependent on the gun. My 3 inch has they same point of aim with 185 or 230 grain. The 230 in a 3 inch has a huge difference in the way the the gun feels when firing. My thumb said thank you when I stopped firing the 230.

7. deen_ad

I went ahead and paid more for the 185 Gr loads since that's the weight of the Golden Saber +P's that I now carry.

Got 1,000 of them as well as 1,000 rds of .223 shipped today.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I handload hot ammo to approximate my carry loads.. I think if you are really good it does matter. If not then it probably is not that important

It's more about slide speed (autos) than bullet weight. The hot fast loads cycle faster and that can mean a world of difference if you are fast