JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently cast my own .40 bullets in a Lee double cavity mold with micro grooves. I lube them with Lee tumble lube but want to try out moly coating.
I don't use a bullet sizer so I would need an alternitive way of applying the moly.

Where do you guys get your moly?
Is it as easily applied as tumble lube?

I don't do anything like mold my own bullets, and I don't use Molly. However, I watched a youtube video at one time that demonstrated coating bullets with molly - it involved a little 3lb rock tumbler and a small dose of molly dumped in for the tumbling cycle. It gets on everything, is hard to get off once you get it coating something, and the tumbler is then sort of dedicated to the process - from what I understand. Check out youtube. Hope this helps.

You don't need more than tumble lube for those bullets, unless you push them fast and hard..as in magnums. In that case get a little wheel bearing moly grease, a small brush, and swipe the base of each as you load

I would look at your alloy, first.. and also you should be drop quenching them into a bucket of cold water, that case hardens them if you have the right alloy

What you are looking for is molybdenum di-sulfide powder mixed with a fine amount of carnauba wax to act as a binder. There are plenty of places that sell it once you know what you're looking for.

Application usually involves tumbling the bullets in a mix of powder and steel BB's (yes, even the ones you get from walmart work fine) for a few mins. You can separate things with a magnet.

This process does work, but all of the tumble lube processes are inferior to standard lube-sizing with something like zambini lube.

I wont use molly because it will cause premature pitting in your barrel, and it is hard to get out. For tumble lubing I use recluse 45/45/10. Works great, is not messy, dries fast, and I can use it on 9mm,40,45,5.56,300blk,308 all the way up to 50cal. You can find out more at castboolits.com in the lube section.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top