JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That truly is an incredible list of details and a ton of fab work and man hours undoubtedly went into that! Definitely good thinking on making things compatible with modern and easy to source parts, I can't even begin to think about how much planing and body geometry went into that suspension.

If your setup is a scalpel, mine is a sledgehammer Hahaha! Ford 9" with spool, 34" Three way adjustable ladder bars with diagonal link on adjustable coil springs
I just wanted it to live up to the ideals of what the original sport cars were supposed to be, instead of what they turned out as, any one ever messed around with the Triumphs knows how dismal and unsafe they actually are, the ideas were there, but the engineering wasn't! All I did was fix what the factory had built, made it safer and improved the handling and braking, it was actually not all that hard, used the original Corvette as inspiration and went from there! Turns out Subaru/Datsun use the same rear differential, and both are literally a drop in swap for the Triumph, and if you use the "Z" car Diff, you don't even have to change your axle shafts, they bolt right up! For guys on the cheap, this is an easy swap, wanna make it handle better, gotta ether copy the late GT-6 and add the Subaru axles and all that,, Or do what I did, which takes it up a level and adding the Vette style control arms and better uprights, now it should be bomb proof! Took me all of 40 hours to fab it all up and source the parts I needed! Total cost for the entire rear was less then $700 bucks including brand new gears, bearings and seals for the rear end!

I just wanted it to live up to the ideals of what the original sport cars were supposed to be, instead of what they turned out as, any one ever messed around with the Triumphs knows how dismal and unsafe they actually are, the ideas were there, but the engineering wasn't! All I did was fix what the factory had built, made it safer and improved the handling and braking, it was actually not all that hard, used the original Corvette as inspiration and went from there! Turns out Subaru/Datsun use the same rear differential, and both are literally a drop in swap for the Triumph, and if you use the "Z" car Diff, you don't even have to change your axle shafts, they bolt right up! For guys on the cheap, this is an easy swap, wanna make it handle better, gotta ether copy the late GT-6 and add the Subaru axles and all that,, Or do what I did, which takes it up a level and adding the Vette style control arms and better uprights, now it should be bomb proof! Took me all of 40 hours to fab it all up and source the parts I needed! Total cost for the entire rear was less then $700 bucks including brand new gears, bearings and seals for the rear end!

As soon as you mentioned a Subaru rear I knew you were likely talking about either an r180 or an r200 (my other car is a 280zx). As you never mentioned a trans brake either of those diffs should outlast the car. They arent very happy when shock loaded in extremes

crazy how it bolts right up, never thought there would be overlap in the Triumph line, that was all well before my time and most have long since returned to the earth.

that's crazy to be able to do on the (relatively) cheap, I'll be into it....a bit more than that lmao.

As soon as you mentioned a Subaru rear I knew you were likely talking about either an r180 or an r200 (my other car is a 280zx). As you never mentioned a trans brake either of those diffs should outlast the car. They arent very happy when shock loaded in extremes

crazy how it bolts right up, never thought there would be overlap in the Triumph line, that was all well before my time and most have long since returned to the earth.

that's crazy to be able to do on the (relatively) cheap, I'll be into it....a bit more than that lmao.
Triumph had to do things on the cheap, so they sourced parts from whom ever they could, instead of developing parts in house that didn't already exist for other platforms! Most Brit cars used Eaton Rear ends, or they had their own sourced local stuff if they were more exotic, even Jaguar used Eaton for it's rear!

Runnin a much modified rear suspension, converted the rear to a triangulated lower control arm, fabricated uprights with bearing cartridges, all Subaru WRX Diff ( with Trak-Lok) and axle shafts, custom Wilwood brakes that have the rotor hats drilled to the old school bolt pattern, and custom drive flanges that mate to the Subaru Axle shafts! Should be more then strong enough to handle my measly 350ish HP Naturally asperated 4 banger! Front is mostly stock ( is actually really good) but I custom made new spindles that take Pinto bearings and seals and Ford Fox Mustang pattern Brake calipers, custom hubs drilled for the much larger Wilwood rotors but also drilled for the stock wheel bolt pattern, which is an odd ball 4X95 mm vs a standard 4X100 like the rest of the world uses! All because I scored those Old School, super rare Revolution Race wheels which make the car really stand out!

YUGE shout out to @v0lcom13sn0w for his invaluable help getting things back on track, there were some major head aches!
all good brother!!!

1) Back in the Dream Time we had a Sunbeam Tiger. Yes, little Brit cars with V8 are a lot of fun.

2) Why did you choose a SBC rather than a SBF with the distributor in the front of the motor?

3) Before The Flood I remember seeing a MGTF with a 327 SBC. It was not particularly well engineered.

Last Edited:
As you likely know, the SBC used to be pretty easy to find, and to find aftermarket and speed parts for, not so much SBF, which was harder and more then expensive to build, and Mopar, fuggeddaboutit! Now days, that's all changed, and while the SBC still makes lots of sense, the options are endless with the others now so, .....
I personally would opt for the SBF, it's both lighter, and easier to swap into tight engine bays, and finding parts and speed stuff is a mouse click away! Or, your crazy like me and decide that it's gotta be a great big honkin 4 banger, and there is only ONE name that will do, Cosworth! Yup, I am building a frankenstein Cosi, 3.5L worth based of the Ford Lima Canadian production blocks, Ford Motorsports stroker crank and the Cosi "Blue" head and cams from the Y series! I just had to be different ya know!

1) Back in the Dream Time we had a Sunbeam Tiger. Yes, little Brit cars with V8 are a lot of fun.

2) Why did you choose a SBC rather than a SBF with the distributor in the front of ther motor?

3) Before The Flood I remember seeing a MGTF with a 327 SBC. It was not particularly well engineered.

the simple answer is because I bought it with the SBC already in it.

no need for distributor clearance when the bell is a foot away from the firewall, this car will never be a handling car, so trying to squeeze it as low and back isn't really that big of a concern for me. Building it to be a rocket ship on the quarter. Also quite frankly I know just this side of nothing when it comes to SBF tuning and upgrades.

it's also convenient as I own another SBC vehicle so I can swap parts back and forth As I upgrade one or the other.

As you likely know, the SBC used to be pretty easy to find, and to find aftermarket and speed parts for, not so much SBF, which was harder and more then expensive to build, and Mopar, fuggeddaboutit! Now days, that's all changed, and while the SBC still makes lots of sense, the options are endless with the others now so, .....
I personally would opt for the SBF, it's both lighter, and easier to swap into tight engine bays, and finding parts and speed stuff is a mouse click away! Or, your crazy like me and decide that it's gotta be a great big honkin 4 banger, and there is only ONE name that will do, Cosworth! Yup, I am building a frankenstein Cosi, 3.5L worth based of the Ford Lima Canadian production blocks, Ford Motorsports stroker crank and the Cosi "Blue" head and cams from the Y series! I just had to be different ya know!

these are all excellent points! And were considered, but frankly it's an SBC because I'm lazy and it was already mounted when I bought the car lol.

just so happens all the other benefits fit well also. Hahaha

Well she grew up a little bit today, got her new carb on! Proper double pumper 650cfm real Holley (not a clone) with choke milled off

2C3D58DB-39EC-4522-AF18-0C7619EB270E.jpeg

More parts!!!

been waiting on this one for well over two months now, but I think it's worth it.

shortened 9" 40" wms mesurement
31 spline Torino ends

F20A93A4-3113-40C1-B24F-01581C33C0C6.jpeg

Well, I noticed some blow by and running issues I couldn't tune out so I pulled the engine to give it a better once over....kinda wish I hadn't.

pitting and ring ridge in every hole

8BA65729-95A7-4A68-AF58-4CAF6D6DAC46.jpeg BBEE9B8B-BA2E-45E1-BEB3-1B81A1DE578A.jpeg

Do you have any railroad tracks within walking distance to your place of residence and does the Traktor have any identifying numbers or features
Negative to the first, nearest tracks are 5miles out

this backhoe was bought at auction just about 6months back

Do you have any railroad tracks within walking distance to your place of residence and does the Traktor have any identifying numbers or features
I actually have to revise my last statement, I'm not certain which tractor your referencing. Unless your talking about my profile picture.

that's a double mule we use as our yards stiff leg crane. No identifying features that I'm aware of

Looks like a 30 over might fix ya up, give ya a chance to drop some forged Pistons in it and better rings!
It's one of the ideas I'm toying around with, not even certain I want to spend that kinda coin on this block. It's a two bolt, one piece rear main without the provisions for hydraulic rollers....kind of a bastard of a block.

with machine shops as busy as they are and how much they cost I'm actually looking into people selling their already built engines, as I've been wanting to upgrade the entire package anyways.

iv got plenty of other work that needs to be done in the mean time, gotta do the switch over to a Th 400 for one not to mention all the work needed for the back half

It's one of the ideas I'm toying around with, not even certain I want to spend that kinda coin on this block. It's a two bolt, one piece rear main without the provisions for hydraulic rollers....kind of a bastard of a block.

with machine shops as busy as they are and how much they cost I'm actually looking into people selling their already built engines, as I've been wanting to upgrade the entire package anyways.

iv got plenty of other work that needs to be done in the mean time, gotta do the switch over to a Th 400 for one not to mention all the work needed for the back half
Too bad your not closer, I have a 4 bolt nickel block with main caps and a 400 crank to go with it I'm never gonna use! Also have a 400 block that got beat up pretty bad, but might be salvageable!

Too bad your not closer, I have a 4 bolt nickel block with main caps and a 400 crank to go with it I'm never gonna use! Also have a 400 block that got beat up pretty bad, but might be salvageable!
I would've definitely bought those off you but the distance is a killer.

You know...it's never too late to make another drag car!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top