JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question, I want to load a soft shooting round for my wifes full size (IWI Masada) 9. Given the phenomenon of more powder for lighter projectile and less for heavier would it make sense to go to a heavier (say 124 to 147 grain) projectile? My original thought on this was lighter the bullet lighter the recoil. But studying load data and seeing broad grain use makes me question which way to go.

Try a revolver.

LOL.

Yeah.....the 9mm needs a certain amount of recoil action (assuming that you're shooting it through a pistol).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....or you could try the 9mm 147 grn JHP subsonic loads.

Why?

Assuming..... it's for SD and you're more or less NOT looking to reload your own.

Thinking.....
Yeah, the .38 Special FBI load is "good stuff". Remember....158 grn, lead SWCHP moving at +P speed.

Anyway.....looking for that less recoil feeling.....
You might just get "close enough" out of your wife's 9mm using the 147 grn JHP subsonic. It's available off the shelf. IMHO, if you could find a factory loaded 147 grn 9mm lead hollow point load......it might be worth looking into.

But.....I'm NOT doing the testing. So.....whatever.

BTW at one time, we were issued that subsonic ammo (at HPD). But the truth be known, we switched to a hydra shock +P after that. Yeah....there was controversy with that choice too.

It's probably TRUE that.......
You can't please ALL of the people All of the time.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't light load, best training is with standard loads so she will get used to it. Women can handle any 9mm load in general, my wife bought her own glock 26 and trained with it. Used up a lot of my ammo...:D

9mm is round where there is little variance between a 'full house' load and a light load.

Depending on the bullet/powder combo you may experience slightly less recoil than others but in reality it will not be much and like others have said you need to have a load that will efficiently cycle the gun.

It ain't like a .357 mag where you can load from .22 type recoil up to hand numbing loads.

Your best bet will be to try a 115 grain bullet and work up from a 'beginning' load.

In my experience, loading below the published max data for 9mm will shoot softer, generally fairly noticeably. Depending on what resource you are looking at, my typical loads would be somewhere in the middle between starting charge and max. They cycle the gun reliably and lock the slide back on the last shot. They definitely shoot softer than factory, which nearly all are loaded to max velocity because they want to tell you on the box that their load will make you run faster and jump higher.

I load 124gr bullets, to me the porridge is just right (for me) between the 115's and 147's (which I've had trouble with some brands with COAL and chambering). Hope this helps and good luck on your quest.

How much experience do you have reloading? I ask because it seems that there may be a misunderstanding with the powder charge. Each powder has a different burn rate, for example, you need a very small charge with AA#7, which is an incredibly fast burning powder. Which is in direct contrast with say Hogden H110 that is incredibly slow burning. Do not load outside of published load data.

A lighter projectile with a lower velocity is what you seek. That said, if she's having trouble with a semi-auto 9mm, 22lr practice seems to be in order. Who am I kidding though, I love shooting 22lr pistols, especially at steel.

Loading a 147gr (HP for defense) gives you a different feel than a 115gr. It's more of a "push" than a "snap", if your wife is sensitive to 9mm.

Eventually, if you're really interested in her using it for home defense, I'd suggest you purchase some rounds especially designed for self defense, since they are more likely to use powder with less of a flash-signature that could temporarily blind you in your home (with lighter colored walls).

Once she gets more comfortable with the handling of the 9mm, she should also run a few rounds of the defense ammo through the pistol to get the feel of them, because it can be a different sensation.

I'd generally not advise to get her a "small revolver", since using a 38 special with an "air weight" has a snappier feel.

Generally, for home defense you should use the largest handgun you can safely get your hands on and manage the recoil, since that added weight is an advantage for follow-on shots.

So if I'm hearing everybody correctly going to a higher weight projectile is going to soften the recoil. I'm not interested in buying any ammunition especially at the prices out there now looking to reload which I do a good practice round for her

If you do want to reload for self-defense loads with a powder with a low flash-signature, one powder you might consider is W231.

115 gr plated fmj
Bullseye pistol powder
3.7-4.1gr should do ya.

If you get stove pipes, bump up the charge by .2gr

You want enough umph to cycle the slide reliably, but not so much that it makes it "snappy".

If you do want to reload for self-defense loads with a powder with a low flash-signature, one powder you might consider is W231.

W231 is one of my favorite pistol powders!

Loading a 147gr (HP for defense) gives you a different feel than a 115gr. It's more of a "push" than a "snap", if your wife is sensitive to 9mm.

Eventually, if you're really interested in her using it for home defense, I'd suggest you purchase some rounds especially designed for self defense, since they are more likely to use powder with less of a flash-signature that could temporarily blind you in your home (with lighter colored walls).

Once she gets more comfortable with the handling of the 9mm, she should also run a few rounds of the defense ammo through the pistol to get the feel of them, because it can be a different sensation.

I'd generally not advise to get her a "small revolver", since using a 38 special with an "air weight" has a snappier feel.

Generally, for home defense you should use the largest handgun you can safely get your hands on and manage the recoil, since that added weight is an advantage for follow-on shots.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. Actually she has three firearms. .380 EZ, Masada 9 and Ruger LCR with crimson trace in grip. In the moment I believe she could use any one to defend herself. It's the shooting for muscle memory that is the issue. She is not a fan of shooting for shootings sake because of constant noise and recoil. But she understands in todays world like it or not she needs to be proficient. So when it comes down to it all her defense weapons are loaded with Hornady critical defense ammo. I'm trying to bridge the gap of more pleasant time at the range...make sense?

I have just started with 9 mm and have done some low testing which have turned out favorable for my arthritic hands. I load a 124g JHP over 3.6g of Tightgroup, it's the starting load amount and IMHO, has reduced recoil with better accuracy than factory ammo.

Never tried to light load 9 but I have long done this for Wife in .45 for 1911's. She LOVES the pussycat loads for playing at the range. I do pop a lighter recoil spring in for them to feed well. If you want to try making some real soft loads I would use the lighter, like 115 gr slugs and a fast powder as suggested. See if you can find someone who sells a recoil spring that would fit the pistol that is lighter, or another spring and make it lighter, and you can make some real soft loads that will still cycle. Just make sure to swap out springs when done shooting the soft loads :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top