JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the process of putting together an AR-15. I plan on building a target/varmint (coyote/sage rat) gun. Most shooting will be 300 yards and under, occasionally stretching the distance to 600 yards (my range's maximum). I'm pretty much set on a 20" bull barrel with a 1/8 twist, but deciding on a manufacturer has been difficult for me.

My build is starting with a complete lower that I'm purchasing from a NWFA vendor, Stoner Arms. It consists of:

Mega lower receiver with a RRA LPK, and an A2 stock.

Upper receiver has not been purchased as of yet. I will be using a free float tube, no rails needed, as I am going to be putting a decent scope on this.

Any opinions as to which upper receiver to buy? What about barrel manufacturers? I notice most "varmint" rigs I've seen sport Stainless barrels. I like the look of a black rifle with a stainless barrel, so that is OK with me. I DO know that I'm not interested in a 24" barrel at this time.

This is my first build, and I would appreciate any information or advice you guys can offer.

Thanks!

Just got done building pretty much the same rifle. I got a Billet Mega lower from Stoner Arms along with a RRA parts kit. For the upper I went with the 20" stainless Varmint upper and purchased it through PKFirearms.com as they had it in stock and cheaper than RRA site...I got it in 3 days. Scope is a Leupold Mark-AR with BDC with a RRA mount. I really like the Magpul PRS stock and recommend it if you have the extra money.

DSC03665.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class