JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are going with Aero then you may as well get the barrel AND BCG here...308 AR 10 Barrels | AR15 Replacement Parts

if you didn't already know...
Ballistic Advantage Partners with Aero Precision
As of December 2014, Ballistic Advantage is operating as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero Precision. Adam Wainio will remain as minority, operating owner and we will continue to operate from our facilities and maintain our brand while expanding alongside our new partner, Aero Precision. This partnership is a key component to our future success and will allow us to continue offering premium products at competitive pricing. Stay tuned – we have big plans for the future!

Regardless, I'd get the barrel and BCG together.

So I'm not familiar with Ballistic Advantage - are their barrels particularly desireable over others? Is there an advantage to buying the barrel and BCG together?

So I'm not familiar with Ballistic Advantage - are their barrels particularly desireable over others? Is there an advantage to buying the barrel and BCG together?

They're not Krieger or Shilen, but they put out a good product. The main reason I posted that is because you were talking about using Aero for your main components, as there is no set standard for .308 ARs like there is for AR-15s, it makes sense to stick with the same team, Aero and BA are on the same team.

They're not Krieger or Shilen, but they put out a good product. The main reason I posted that is because you were talking about using Aero for your main components, as there is no set standard for .308 ARs like there is for AR-15s, it makes sense to stick with the same team, Aero and BA are on the same team.

Yeah, online reviews seem quite positive. Awesome, thanks.

@titsonritz is right on about BA . They will make good on the MOA offer .
I once wrote a review on a BA barrel that would not get moa and the customer sevice was lack luster . Clint Hanson read it and called me . Long story short after a good conversation he gave me his cell number and told me to call him as my next build barrel was on him . He sent me two 308 barrels . Both moa .

This is one of the 16" Hanson he sent
8461FF14-07CF-4F83-8C90-D80FA0502A9B.jpeg

The customer service is second to none after Clint but don't call without at least trying to sniff out simple explanations why moa isn't happening .

Depends on your wants . Outside of 300 yards there is a noticeable difference in drop with a 16 over a 20 . I shoot and hit fine out to 500 with my 16" but on a BDC reticle I hold 500 for a 400 yard shot . 18" is a good do all .

So I don't build the LR buffer system but I have built one for a friend who insisted he wanted an Ace SOCOM stock. We eventually needed an adjustable gas block because the little LR style buffers usually cant be made heavy enough to slow the BCG to normal speeds. That rifle was unlocking so fast it was exhibiting head space problems , with no head space issues.

So I am not as familiar with the LR style buffer system .

I can offer this: I THINK the GEN1 UBR tube takes the LR length buffer(2.5")~~~~I THINK the GEN2 UBR takes a normal length carbine buffer . I THINK the tube on the GEN2 UBR has the same internal depth as Armalite/Vltor(7.75") giving it room for the normal(3.75")carbine buffer. I have not measured myself its just what I've gathered through conversation with other builders .

If I can tune a rifle unlock using mass I will because its more versatile on the go. A gas block needs to be fiddled with every time you change something like ammo power, suppressor.......even though the gas block is addressing the root problem .

Spring: Armalite EA1095. Used for both rifle and carbine . Agreed by everyone but David Tubb to be the best spring for 308 .

Hope that all makes since

Last Edited:
So thoughts on best spring and buffer for use with the UBR stock..?
If you are interested in a collapsible start here . The deal is awesome for one , and its drop dead reliable on LR pattern .
Armalite only one left .

^^This. I ordered one immediately after reading @oli700's post. Came in while I was out of state on business.
I installed it today on my daughter's DPMS LR308. It's perfect. She will be tickled when I hand the rifle back to her - so much nicer than the standard A2 fixed stock. Plus, if you're an ape (or just really tall), it gives you a longer LOP, which I prefer.

Hmm this thread slipped passed me.

I just finished a complete AR308 build on new years eve...80% lower, stripped upper, etc.

Important things to look out for: upper vs lower fitment...if you get an aero lower, probably best to get an aero upper for best fitment.

If you get an aero upper, take note that AR-308 has 2 different rail height profiles...high and low. Aero uses a high profile rail so you will need a handguard in DPMS high spec to match the rail height on the aero upper.

Lower parts kits differ from each other and depending on who makes the upper/lower: you may need to buy their LPK specifically as some have special set screws needed to hold springs and detents in that others don't need/use.

You may also need to do some custom fitting of gas tubes and/or hand guards to get proper fitment.

Overall they really aren't any harder to build than an AR-15 if you pay attention to what you're buying and know that you need parts to be of a certain spec to fit.

My 308 build:
5D stripped upper
5D 80% lower
Luth-AR 308 stock kit (buffer tube, spring, buffer, endplate, nut, and stock)
DPMS 308 LPK no trigger/hammer/grip (learned hard way should have gotten 5D LPK as they use set screw to hold in safety selector detent and spring)
set screw from hardware store
ALG combat trigger
Magpul 20rd P-mag
Strike Industries forward assist (red)
Fortis Hammer 308 Charging Handle - Black Teflon
Aero 308 ejection port cover kit
Aimsports DPMS 308 low handguard 15" MLOK
Expo Arms .750 low profile gas block
Hogue grip
VG6 Gamma 7.62 muzzle brake
Guntec .308 NiB BCG
Anderson MFG mid length stainless gas tube
Bear Creek Arsenal 18" .308 416R 1:10 SOCOM straight fluted threaded barrel
Red 3" mlok pic rail section
*Atlas QD bipod* (I swap this between all of my rifles cause $$$)
**temporarily put EOTECH 556 on there for testing and plinking until I decide on/buy a scope for it**
end result:
20190101_133945.jpg

it functions and fires 100% with very low recoil thanks to the muzzle brake.

The stock is a carbine stock, but it has a hex wrench attached to it that lets you adjust set screws to lock the stock into position and remove 100% of the wiggle/slop making it a fixed stock until you loosen the set screws.

I have also started on an Aero build but it's not finished yet. Same handguard as above build but DPMS high version since it has an Aero upper to match the aero lower.

Same LPK same trigger, same mag, same pic rail section. same grip, same forward assist, same dust cover. Different stock and different buffer/tube/spring. Has the luth-AR 308 rifle buffer/stock kit

Aero lower on top, 5D lower on bottom
20181124_173854 (2).jpg
20181129_194025.jpg
Aero build on left, 5D build on right.

As for my choice of parts...black friday and christmas sales decided most of that for me. other than that stripped aero lower... I bought that years ago and just never got around to finishing it and still haven't. :( It's back burnered again, but it made significant progress... really doesn't need too much more to be complete...
Missing BCG, CH, gas tube, possibly gas block (I have .750 blocks laying around but might end up with a larger one depending on what barrel I get) Barrel...Also have muzzle brake for it already.

Hmm this thread slipped passed me.

I just finished a complete AR308 build on new years eve...80% lower, stripped upper, etc.

Important things to look out for: upper vs lower fitment...if you get an aero lower, probably best to get an aero upper for best fitment.

If you get an aero upper, take note that AR-308 has 2 different rail height profiles...high and low. Aero uses a high profile rail so you will need a handguard in DPMS high spec to match the rail height on the aero upper.

Lower parts kits differ from each other and depending on who makes the upper/lower: you may need to buy their LPK specifically as some have special set screws needed to hold springs and detents in that others don't need/use.

You may also need to do some custom fitting of gas tubes and/or hand guards to get proper fitment.

Overall they really aren't any harder to build than an AR-15 if you pay attention to what you're buying and know that you need parts to be of a certain spec to fit.

My 308 build:
5D stripped upper
5D 80% lower
Luth-AR 308 stock kit (buffer tube, spring, buffer, endplate, nut, and stock)
DPMS 308 LPK no trigger/hammer/grip (learned hard way should have gotten 5D LPK as they use set screw to hold in safety selector detent and spring)
set screw from hardware store
ALG combat trigger
Magpul 20rd P-mag
Strike Industries forward assist (red)
Fortis Hammer 308 Charging Handle - Black Teflon
Aero 308 ejection port cover kit
Aimsports DPMS 308 low handguard 15" MLOK
Expo Arms .750 low profile gas block
Hogue grip
VG6 Gamma 7.62 muzzle brake
Guntec .308 NiB BCG
Anderson MFG mid length stainless gas tube
Bear Creek Arsenal 18" .308 416R 1:10 SOCOM straight fluted threaded barrel
Red 3" mlok pic rail section
*Atlas QD bipod* (I swap this between all of my rifles cause $$$)
**temporarily put EOTECH 556 on there for testing and plinking until I decide on/buy a scope for it**
end result:
View attachment 539254

it functions and fires 100% with very low recoil thanks to the muzzle brake.

The stock is a carbine stock, but it has a hex wrench attached to it that lets you adjust set screws to lock the stock into position and remove 100% of the wiggle/slop making it a fixed stock until you loosen the set screws.

I have also started on an Aero build but it's not finished yet. Same handguard as above build but DPMS high version since it has an Aero upper to match the aero lower.

Same LPK same trigger, same mag, same pic rail section. same grip, same forward assist, same dust cover. Different stock and different buffer/tube/spring. Has the luth-AR 308 rifle buffer/stock kit

Aero lower on top, 5D lower on bottom
View attachment 539255
View attachment 539256
Aero build on left, 5D build on right.

As for my choice of parts...black friday and christmas sales decided most of that for me. other than that stripped aero lower... I bought that years ago and just never got around to finishing it and still haven't. :( It's back burnered again, but it made significant progress... really doesn't need too much more to be complete...
Missing BCG, CH, gas tube, possibly gas block (I have .750 blocks laying around but might end up with a larger one depending on what barrel I get) Barrel...Also have muzzle brake for it already.

What do you think of that bear creek arsenal barrel? I'm in the process of looking for a barrel and those are on sale for $89
Bear Creek Arsenal 18" .308 Win SOCOM Contour 1:10 Mid-Length 416R Barrel - Stainless B308MSC18110-SS

I have several AR15's with blaistic advantage barrels and think they are great, but they're on the heavy side. I'm looking to keep the weight down a bit, so I'm leaning towards Faxon heavy fluted barrel at 2 1/2 pounds 18".

What do you think of that bear creek arsenal barrel? I'm in the process of looking for a barrel and those are on sale for $89
Bear Creek Arsenal 18" .308 Win SOCOM Contour 1:10 Mid-Length 416R Barrel - Stainless B308MSC18110-SS

I have several AR15's with blaistic advantage barrels and think they are great, but they're on the heavy side. I'm looking to keep the weight down a bit, so I'm leaning towards Faxon heavy fluted barrel at 2 1/2 pounds 18".
Do you one better...
BCA AR-10 Barrel, 18" 416R Stainless Steel SOCOM Barrel, Straight Fluted, .308, Mid Length Gas System w/ 1:10 Twist

Same barrel I have, cheaper before shipping...add $10 to the price shown for shipping.

Also it's the same barrel you posted other than this one is fluted to reduce the weight.

Takes a .750 gas block and mid length gas tube.

Bear creek arsenal has really impressed me with their quality for the price.

I can't really say yet if it is MOA/sub-MOA or not yet as I have been shooting cheap russian ammo through it with just an EOTech for optics, but I can tell you that I can hit center on paper at 50yds and I can ring gongs at 200yds with no magnification and just a holographic sight on there with zinc jacketed steel cased .308 tula ammo... Whenever I get a scope on there I'll probably get SMK ammo in both weights and send them down range to see how it likes them and see what kinda grouping I can pull off. but it's really hard to pull off sub-MOA with just a bi-pod and no scope on any rifle let alone one that kicks an enormous fireball off each end of the brake! :eek::cool:

Honestly though for the price I don't think it will disappoint! you can buy 3 of these things for the price of one of the other brands and it will likely shoot just as well!

BCA guarantees MOA at 100yds on all their barrels 16"+ in length with the right ammo and shooting techniques.

Dang that's interesting at Literally at a third of the price. You usually get what you pay for,but that doesn't sound bad at all. I might have to give one a try just to see.
Post up your accuracy when you get a chance to put a scope on it. Also how is the gas system working does it feel over gassed and do you have a adjustable gas block?

Thanks

Gas seems alright. Not an adjustable gas block on it. Literally the cheapest gas block I could get is on it LOL. (black friday sale...$8/ea bought 4 of them as that was the limit they let me have)

It really doesn't kick either. More makes everyone jump around you cause of that muzzle brake I have on there.

My 5.56 kicked way harder (over-gassed carbine length), however I changed gas blocks on that recently and will be installing a muzzle brake on it before its next outing. So will be interesting to see how it tames that rifle as my 5.56 was the first rifle I ever built.

I can tell you though that my 7.62x39 is shooting some nice tight groups with cheap russian ammo and that complete upper is made by BCA with a few subtle changes by me. (charging handle latch and forward assist) So they are definitely doing something right!

Can't say how well they hold up long term yet as I have only owned 2 of their barrels for a couple months now and only on new years eve got the 308 build done, so it has only been out to the range twice.. the 7.62 has been out about 4 times now and gone through about 1000rds already. only put about 120rds through the 308 thus far.

if using a carbine spring make sure its a 308 one and to get a heavy 308 carbine buffer.

after about 50rds take a look and see if you get bolt carrier bite on your lower. if you don't slow the bolt enough you will get receiver hits

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top