JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pretty simple thread, I just bought a stripped Aero M5 lower, and plan to take the next few months acquiring parts to build my first AR-10. Going to be chambered in .308, going to be suppressed, and planning to build in a DMR-style. What components would you select?

It really is just like building an AR15, only slightly bigger. Make sure to put some money aside for a good bipod and scope.

If you get to the Portland Gun Show, go check out MSC International. The older gentleman has been in the business a long time and has had contracts with some professional groups.

I was at a military reunion and one of my buddies did contracting after retirement, he knew exactly who this company id and what they are all about. He said I was lucky that they were local to me.

Quite a few threads here and on other forums.
Lets talk ar10 builds
Build Thread - AR10 build. Don't do it!

Pay attention to
  • upper & fore-end compatibility (even among "DPMS" compatible parts) - gen differences....
  • design camps : LR308 vs DPMS vs Armalite, etc. For example, "DPMS" from manufacturer "A" does not play well with "DPMS" from manufacturer "B".
  • Buffer, spring and stock selection. A "DPMS LR308" fixed stock, buffer and spring from Brownells may not work with an AR10 BCG from them.
Yeah, +1 to seeing Jeremy at @LuckySG - knowledgeable, great guy to work with, and exceptionally fair pricing.

Some good info in another thread. I've built several in most configurations, there is more to know about making a reliable AR308 over a AR15. Ive had lots of trial and error along the way, learned a lot. The rifle I talk about in this thread is the only configuration I will ever do in a collapsible.
Time to share my new AR10 308 with you

If you are interested in a collapsible start here . The deal is awesome for one , and its drop dead reliable on LR pattern .
Armalite only one left .

You can piece the kit together but it will cost twice as much. Another buffer tube option with the same internal depth as the Armalite is the VLTOR A5 tube

And make sure to get the Aero LPK . One take down pin is specific and right length for Aero lower AND Aero beefed up the bolt catch. Bolt catches used in AR15 kits WILL break

Last Edited:
aero upper, bcg and lower, adjustable gas block.

after that buy the pieces you want , make sure the rail is compatible.

since the 308 is not a standard you always get the 3 primaries from the same manufacturer.

aero upper, bcg and lower, adjustable gas block.

after that buy the pieces you want , make sure the rail is compatible.

since the 308 is not a standard you always get the 3 primaries from the same manufacturer.
Agreed, though, as I found out, Aero Gen 1 is dimensionally different from Aero Gen 2. Same for DPMS made parts. It can be confusing as h3ll, but if the lower is newly minted, then buy current parts.

Looks like you gents have all the gotchas covered. Upper and lower of the same manufacturer and generation is the biggest. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask the shop you want to purchase from about compatibility of parts as it will get you two of the greatest words to ever go together when following their directions - plausible deniability.

Great input, thanks guys!

I am mostly going with Aero stuff unless their is a compelling reason to buy something different. Will definitely get a matching generation Aero stripped upper, and based on the above advice will get an Aero bcg as well.

What about gas systems? I do plan to suppress, and like the idea of an adjustable gas block, what are some options there?

Confused on buffer and spring too. I'm currently leaning towards a Magpul UBR Gen 2 stock, which I understand comes with a proprietary receiver extension. What spring and buffer would I want with that?

And then the big question that I'm most lost on, what do I get for a barrel?

Great input, thanks guys!

I am mostly going with Aero stuff unless their is a compelling reason to buy something different. Will definitely get a matching generation Aero stripped upper, and based on the above advice will get an Aero bcg as well.

What about gas systems? I do plan to suppress, and like the idea of an adjustable gas block, what are some options there?

Confused on buffer and spring too. I'm currently leaning towards a Magpul UBR Gen 2 stock, which I understand comes with a proprietary receiver extension. What spring and buffer would I want with that?

+1 on every gas block being adjustable.

Some good info in another thread. I've built several in most configurations, there is more to know about making a reliable AR308 over a AR15. Ive had lots of trial and error along the way, learned a lot. The rifle I talk about in this thread is the only configuration I will ever do in a collapsible.
Time to share my new AR10 308 with you

If you are interested in a collapsible start here . The deal is awesome for one , and its drop dead reliable on LR pattern .
Armalite only one left .

You can piece the kit together but it will cost twice as much. Another buffer tube option with the same internal depth as the Armalite is the VLTOR A5 tube

And make sure to get the Aero LPK . One take down pin is specific and right length for Aero lower AND Aero beefed up the bolt catch. Bolt catches used in AR15 kits WILL break

I'm glad you brought this up. I was going to suggest you as a very knowledgeable individual member here, who would add a lot to this thread. I consider myself very lucky that I didn't have to build mine. The only thing I added recently to the rifle was the American made UTG Pro freefloat handguard. There have also been small uprgrades I did to my AR10, which I list in the thread you posted:
BkI9XDC.jpg
I still love my Armalite AR10. It's both accurate and fun to shoot. To the guys thinking about building an ar308/AR10, be mindful that it is not as "mudular" as an ar15. Not by a long shot. Guys like oli700 can help to walk you through the steps.

Also, here's an excellent read that will either scare you or help you:
AR-10 308 AR Compatibility Reference Guide | AR 308 vs AR 10

Last Edited:
+1 on every gas block being adjustable.

An adjustable gas block isn't necessary, but will help if you have parts you are not sure about compatibility. None of my rifles have adjustable gas blocks, but they are put together right. However, if I were building a new one, I'd probably go with an adjustable unit...

To the guys thinking about building an ar308/AR10, be mindful that it is not as "mudular" as an ar15. Not by a long shot.

Also, here's an excellent read that will either scare you or help you:
AR-10 308 AR Compatibility Reference Guide | AR 308 vs AR 10

That's a fact, was just about to link that but you have it covered

An adjustable gas block isn't necessary, but will help if you have parts you are not sure about compatibility. None of my rifles have adjustable gas blocks, but they are put together right. However, if I were building a new one, I'd probably go with an adjustable unit...

I agree and one should not "have parts you are not sure about compatibility", figure that part out first.

If you are going with Aero then you may as well get the barrel AND BCG here...308 AR 10 Barrels | AR15 Replacement Parts

if you didn't already know...
Ballistic Advantage Partners with Aero Precision
As of December 2014, Ballistic Advantage is operating as a majority owned subsidiary of Aero Precision. Adam Wainio will remain as minority, operating owner and we will continue to operate from our facilities and maintain our brand while expanding alongside our new partner, Aero Precision. This partnership is a key component to our future success and will allow us to continue offering premium products at competitive pricing. Stay tuned – we have big plans for the future!

Regardless, I'd get the barrel and BCG together.

Clarification- Adjustable gas needs based on ammo variety and/or suppression vs. getting the basic build off the ground.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top