JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First purchase towards the build made, walked into the local rifle shop and got talked into (heh) purchasing a completed lower, now the proud owner of an Anderson lower. Cost of build so far, 179.99.

Here's a question on Nickel-Boron BCG's. I'm looking at two, one for $100 shipped, other $110. Is either worth the price, and is one $10 better than the other? (Obviously neither is a Fail Zero, but...)

AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 NiB 9310 MPI Bolt Carrier Group
M16 Bolt Carrier Group Nickel Boron

Newbuilder, congrats on your first step!

I wouldn't recommend getting too hung up on the coating of the BCG. The NB isn't that much of an improvement nor is the titanium coatings they're coming out with now. They do clean easier but they also get dirty looking much faster and once they get dirty they tend to stain that color. I can't speak of it's ability to self lubricate or the longevity of them over the phosphate coated ones. I have a NB BCG in my .308 and it works fine and is extremely sexy- Aeroprecision does a really good job with their coatings. I have an AIM NB BCG in my pistol 556 AR and it's finish isn't nearly as clean as the Aero. The Aero is glassy and even looking while the AIM is powdery and uneven. The AIMs finish has also gotten scratched up after only a few hundred rounds while the Aero's finish is still as clean as when I got it besides being a little stained looking. It is important to note that they stain despite me meticulously cleaning them after every range visit. They're not sitting in their crud for more than a couple hours.

The standard BCG in my colt has worked extremely reliably as do other military issued BCGs. If I could do my builds over again I would have gotten PSA premium standard coated BCGs on all of my firearms- except for my .308 because I wanted some extra sauciness in it.

If you want to look at good quality BCGs it's my understanding that the material that the bolt and extractor are made out of are most important. Look for carpenters steel.

If you're set on a NB carrier here's a great deal:

PSA 5.56 Full Auto Nickel Boron Premium BCG - Logo - blem

Last Edited:
Here are some comparisons between the Aero, AIM, and Colt BCGs. The AERO is the bigger one, AIM is the other NB, and the Colt is the phosate coated BCG.

IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3842.JPG

I'm in the same boat as you, and have just about pulled the trigger on ordering a kit form mid state firearms. Has anyone used them before? They offer a lot of .223 wylde barrels... from my reading it appears these are a decent set up for your average Joe

Thanks, RT--I'm not particularly insistent on NiB, I'm just looking for a good value, something I won't find myself in any real hurry about upgrading to "the next big thing". Charging handles might go "cheap starter then upgrade," but for the tab on the BCG I want to make sure that I get one worth keeping for a while.

Hey guys so I have to admit I'm on the eager side of things. I've noticed that the PSA premium uppers say the barrel is still fn made but doesn't state cold hammer forged. As far as that goes all it is is a difference in longevity correct? I might pull the trigger on an upper and upgrade to a CHF barrel (noticed PSA sells them separately) later down the road.

Thanks, RT--I'm not particularly insistent on NiB, I'm just looking for a good value, something I won't find myself in any real hurry about upgrading to "the next big thing". Charging handles might go "cheap starter then upgrade," but for the tab on the BCG I want to make sure that I get one worth keeping for a while.

I think as long as the bolt is carpenter steel then you're probably safe. The QA tests they go through are also worth money and add to the price tag of the BCG. Maybe someone that has more detailed info on this subject will chime in.

As far as the charging handle goes I like using the standard mil spec charging handle but with these added to them. You'll need a small hammer and a punch if you go this route. They're cheaper and nicer in my opinion than BCMs. You can buy two mil spec handles and two of these for the price of 1 BCM/ Raptor/ etc. Obviously if you want an ambi handle then you may want to look into spending some money on that. Take into consideration if you'll be carrying stuff that snags easily. If you are then you may want to opt for a standard CH.

<broken link removed>

I'm a Southpaw, so an ambi is a concern eventually--the one thing where I think Stoner made a mistake, not going with a side charging handle like many other arms where you don't have to break firing position in order to rack your bolt. (The ideal being the un-built M2 Thompson SMG design with its T-shaped bolt and CH projecting out each side.)

Reason I say "eventually" rather than "immediately" is that I figure if I first learn on right-hand milspec controls, then I'm ready for anything I may find myself needing to use and ambis and other "me optimization" just makes the going easier when possible.

Purchase your lower receiver now. And save up for better parts and slowly piece it together. I went the budget route and ended up replacing most of the parts. Do it right the first time and you wont regret it.

So bit of an update, I actually only put a down payment on the completed lower yesterday because it was close to closing time at the rifle shop, went back today and, thanks to advice from this board, decided to just go with a stripped lower, after all this is a budget build, and I'd like to get more acquainted with the AR platform, and as was pointed out, I would have ended up replacing a lot of it. So now I've got an SAA stripped lower and have ordered an enhanced trigger lower parts kit from PSA, kit is without buffer assy. & stock. So now this build is at 104.99 SAA lower, 64.99 & free shipping for the PSA EPT lower parts kit with MOE grip. What's my best bet for the stock and buffer? So far best I've seen is 59.00 for the MOE stock and buffer kit, anyone know of anything cheaper? One thing I don't like is that the listing doesn't state the buffer weight.

Get a milspec 7075-t6 buffer tube with a standard buffer and spring. As for a stock, that's something I'm picky on and you should be too. Since it's going to be your cheek on that stock. I'm a fan of Magpul CTR stocks as they have a "Friction Lock" to prevent wobble. Just make sure your buffer tube and stock are matching, commercial/commercial or milspec/milspec.

I shopped around a bit on the lower cost sites and didn't see anything lower than what I found already, so I went ahead and ordered it. <broken link removed>

Nice, it's stated as a carbine buffer, which is usually around 3.0oz.

• Carbine Buffer (Avg 3.0 oz)
  • Heavy (H) Buffer (Avg 3.8 oz)
  • H2 Buffer (Avg 4.7 oz)
  • H3 Buffer (Avg 5.6 oz)
  • Rifle Buffer (Avg 5.0 oz)

Somehow I glanced right over that, is carbine going to be enough on a mid length gas system? At this point I do think I'm going to try and hold out until I can get precisely what I'm looking for. I felt the need to jump on that kit because of price comparisons.

Sorry I posted the pic with no text (noob here) just wanted to share my experience with my latest build.

Stag Arms complete upper (super varmint)
I sent this back to stag cause it had some heavy scratches in the stainless in about 4 spots and this is how they sent it back. Looks like they sanded then heavy scotch bright. So pretty much, its ready for paint lol. Ive lost track of how long its been since I placed my order cause it has been so long. And looks like there going to send me out a replacement this time, so 6 to 10 weeks I might see it.

Ive heard nothing but great things about stag and always wanted to build a heavy barrel .223 (Im not a fan of this round for self defense, its not a "stop you in your footsteps load") for "reaching out there" so I sent the mess they sent me back and this is there solution "grind out the scratches" lol when I saw it I couldnt believe a company with any decent reputation could do such a thing. And get this... NOT ONE APOLOGY no "hey will knock off the shipping charge" or "hey pick out a butt stock" not even a mag thrown in.

Zoom in on these pictures and look at the gouging its grosse. I could have done a much better job "fixing" this than they did but I didnt really want to sand my new barrel. Strike 2 for stag with me they have one more chance to make a believer out of me. 20161103_140230.jpg 20161103_140230.jpg 20161103_140310.jpg 20161103_140326.jpg 20161103_140146.jpg 20161103_140201.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top