JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not arguing, except that I think we agree on more than the last sentence. If we're saying others are jacking Glock's ideas, then we can say Glock jacked H&K's. And perhaps H&K jacked an idea from Remington's nylon rifle. But they still produced the first polymer, striker fired handgun. And Glock improved on it years later.
But, semantics. I was making a point, which I believe we agree on.

Carry on boys, it's back to the air for me!
:s0106::s0094:

I think that is a safe call. Good night, man.

Actually! :D
Glock and many others took the basic Browning design that became the 1911 and "Improved" upon it on some point or another! There are only two actuall successful designs really, the J.M. Browning rocking barrel, and Walther direct blowback design, every thing that has come after ( for the most part) comes from one of those two sources! Even the Mighty Gaston Glock is a some what improved 1911, basically a striker fired conversion!

I never have understood the Glock hate. Yeah they're a bit blocky, not really stylish and are kind of boring. So what!

There are some great things about Glocks that many other guns can't compete with. One of which is the availability of 3rd party parts and accessories. Upgrade, replace, repair, modify, convert. All that is available from folks other than just Glock, though OEM parts are readily available from multiple sources, at reasonable prices.

I'm a fan of caliber conversions and while some other guns make that possible with 3rd party parts (like I do with my M&P 40), there are more options, usually at better prices, for the Glocks. My first Glock was a G35, still one of my favorite Glocks, BTW. One of the first things I bought for it was a 9mm conversion barrel, which shot great with no other modifications.

The guns themselves are well proven to be reliable under the worst conditions. While they may not win any beauty contests, they work, and I would absolutely grab one to defend my life without a single concern that it would work.

There are certainly more fun options out there in terms of beauty or even ergonomics, but when it comes to a gun for self defense, you'd have to be crazy to diss the Glock as one of the finest and most reliable pieces out there.

Plus, they are better looking than Hi-Points - amiright @Kruejl ;)

Companies have been jacking Glock ideas for years. Smith Sigma anyone? Of course, there was that pesky lawsuit....

How about Springfield and "their" XD series. :p:p They bought the design. Google HS2000. :rolleyes:

The 1911? Over 100 years old and people still rant and rave about them. Lots of entire forums dedicated to them.
The AR-15? Over 25 years older than Glock, and yet "cutting edge" by some people's standards. Lots of entire forums dedicated to them.
The AK-47? Who so many worship. Designed the year my dad was born! He's 72! Lots of entire forums dedicated to them.

But Glock is the outdated design here?? And NWFA has a few threads about Glocks but also has THOUSANDS of threads about other guns?

The HS2000 traces its roots back to a service pistol known as the PHP (Prvi Hrvatski Pištolj or First Croatian Pistol), which was first produced in Croatia by privately owned industrial parts firm I. M. Metal in 1991. Designed by a team led by Marko Vuković, the PHP was considered to be a solid design, but early versions were plagued by quality issues, due in large part to the difficulties of manufacturing during the Yugoslav war. Vuković's team continued to tweak and improve the design over the next decade, releasing the HS95 (Hrvatski Samokres or Croatian Pistol) in 1995, and the HS2000 in 1999. The HS2000 was adopted by the Croatian military and law enforcement as a standard issue sidearm and continues to fill that role today. The pistol was initially exported to the US market by Intrac and distributed by HSAmerica who sold the pistol in 9 mm as the HS2000. Originally for years gun owners laughed at the HS2000s, which were cheap pistols, going around $200 when they were first imported. Many claimed that they looked like a 1911 and Glock combination from Croatia, and were dubbed the "Croaker" as a result. This did little to help the success of the pistols and, aside from ridicule from the gun industry, the HS2000 achieved little success or attention from the west, much like the Daewoo DP51. However, in 2002, Springfield Armory, Inc. negotiated licensing rights to the US market, and changed the name to the XD-9 (X-treme Duty 9×19mm Parabellum). Springfield Armory has since expanded the line to include ten models in three different calibers and five different cartridges, seven barrel lengths, and six finishes (black, black bi-tone, olive drab, olive drab bi-tone, flat dark earth,and flat dark earth bi-tone). In 2006, the industry press awarded the XD-45 the title of Handgun of the Year from both American Rifleman magazine and The Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence. The XDm series of pistols won Handgun of the Year again in 2009.

Since it was originally created in 1991, the Springfield XD and HS2000s have become some of the most popular pistols on the market today

The HS 2000 has some similarities with the Austrian Glock 17. Also it has some design features of SIG Sauer pistols. Nevertheless it is an independent design and has a distinctly different trigger action and many other differences.

Grip safety ? That's my favorite feature. And hi vis metal sights .

If I paid $500 for a pistol with plastic sights and magazines I would be trying to justify my purchase also. It never ends mo plastic mo betta. Plus wrong grip angle and don't see the value. But , I don't trash every Glock thread like fanboys do the Sig threads.

They do take me back to my childhood. One of my cap guns used the same sights.

My sights and slide and magazines are all metal. You sound like a 10th century German trying to describe a bison that no one had ever seen.

The ones I looked at were plastic. And ya the mags are metal lined.

So I will help visulize the bison. Lol

Factory poly sights
sightsM.jpg
We've all seen the mags.
Glock17_01.jpg
:)

Anything that ain't one of these , just ain't a real gun....:D
Just kidding...

I really like my muzzeloaders...they work for me and I shoot well with them.
Like many people , I can carry on far too much in my enthusiasm for the subject....This can happen when we really enjoy something .

I do my best to not bash anyone's choice of firearm...after all its not mine and if they use it safely and enjoy it....then good for them...it really shouldn't concern me .
Andy

DSC06557.jpg

DSC06619 (1).jpg

P1110070.JPG

Hawken.jpg

I can't remember the last time anybody got upset or cared when someone bought a boring Toyota or Honda. Hell I drive a boring Nissan. Own plenty of boring glocks. Nobody ever says a bad thing about them at shooting competitions. Ever.

Plenty of better guns out there I agree. Go buy them.

I still can't figure out why anyone cares what gun some other person buys. It's odd don't you think?

Ha ha... the THREAD is boring, not the Glock. Well, maybe it's boring until it's pointed at you and goes bang. :p;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top