JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yeah, that is awful and a disgrace, but says absolutely nothing about the success or failure of a program with only 120 homeless young people in it
I dunno Vinnie. It's awfully hard to say. It's sort of a "self-reported" success. Heck, if someone was giving me dough, I'd report that program as successful myself. Couple that with the government's penchant for telling us how great they are doing so they can keep their jobs...

I dunno Vinnie. It's awfully hard to say. It's sort of a "self-reported" success. Heck, if someone was giving me dough, I'd report that program as successful myself. Couple that with the government's penchant for telling us how great they are doing so they can keep their jobs...
Fair point, and I give that more credence than the other arguments put forth so far

120 in a program is less than 2% of the identified homeless population in Portland. Hardly a success, but then again what do I know.

120 in a program is less than 2% of the identified homeless population in Portland. Hardly a success, but then again what do I know.
Definitely a small "sample". Unfortunately, when declaring "success", the government all too often doesn't have a "return on investment" mentality. If they spent $120 million on the program and most of the folks eventually became housed, the government would declare victory. Only in America. o_O

Nobody said the program at this time was a solution to all of the homeless in Portland. If you have to go out of your way to show it "failed" by how it didn't help people not participating in it seems like grasping at straws

Yes. What (if any) actual evidence do you have to backup your position that the program has failed?
It is the government's responsibility and duty to monitor the success of their programs and provide supported facts and data to the tax payers. It is not the responsibility of the tax payers who are funding the program.

I would like for the program to work, however seeing how our incompetent elected officials have practically destroyed Portland with the their polices, I have little faith in anything they do.

Definitely a small "sample". Unfortunately, when declaring "success", the government all too often doesn't have a "return on investment" mentality. If they spent $120 million on the program and most of the folks eventually became housed, the government would declare victory. Only in America. o_O
Without having all the numbers it's hard to say if it's a good fiscal return on investment. Homelessness and the associated crime and all cost cities big bucks. It might be that getting them back on their feet has a long term financial benefit for the city. Remember, this is 18 to 24 year olds that are by virtue of their age 'newly homeless' Not the career homeless that are most visible driving in the city

It is the government's responsibility and duty to monitor the success of their programs and provide supported facts and data to the tax payers. It is not the responsibility of the tax payers who are funding the program.

I would like for the program to work, however seeing how our incompetent elected officials have practically destroyed Portland with the their polices, I have little faith in anything they do.
The program is set to run for another year or so. And who said they aren't monitoring the effectiveness of the program?

ETA FWIW I also blame Portland officials for the homeliness problems

Those that invest in the homeless, get more of it. It should be called the homeless industry.
A few talk show people here refer to it as the "Homeless Industrial Complex" just for that reason. NGO's set up shop here to "assist" and what they assist in is making HUGE piles of cash vanish. A lot of this money is of course funneled to the campaigns of the law makers who are pumping money into them. Quite the scam they have but can't blame them. The people here keep supporting it. 🤬

Those that invest in the homeless, get more of it. It should be called the homeless industry.
It IS an industry. Homeless are now useful idiots. Local governments are cashing in on the new found money stream and won't dare try to actually solve the issue. Would someone like to portray CA as a successful model? They can't account for 24 Billion dollars spent on the homeless. San Fran is such a lost cause the Mayor is proposing a curfew....on businesses! Some areas in CA are building apartments for the homeless at a million dollars per unit, lol. But, hey, the homeless business is good as long as people are happy to fund it.

Without having all the numbers it's hard to say if it's a good fiscal return on investment. Homelessness and the associated crime and all cost cities big bucks. It might be that getting them back on their feet has a long term financial benefit for the city. Remember, this is 18 to 24 year olds that are by virtue of their age 'newly homeless' Not the career homeless that are most visible driving in the city
I agree with this. I just think the government does a poor job of tracking, and they do so without an accounting mindset. Then there's the estimation and spin. "The government estimates gun violence negatively impacts Americans to the tune of $500 BAZILLION dollars." versus "The government estimates government giveaway efforts positively impact Americans to the tune of $500 BAZILLION dollars." *

*numbers may not be 100% accurate, but you get the picture.

Sorry you got your stuff stolen OP.
That ain't right at all.

Something else that ain't right..or at least inline with NWFA forum rules...
Are many posts and comments in this thread....a lot of less than excellent , divisive and inappropriate comments.
Thread is closed.
Andy

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR