JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Appreciate the info - you think I'd be able to get up there tomorrow considering the rain this week?
Yes, you could drive the Z back to the quarry even in the rain. It's about 2 mi + back to it. Do not speed as the road is graveled and at times potholes but driving it is not too bad.
off 26 turn left, bear right and drive. Stay left until you get to the stop sign, then turn right. Quarry is about 1/4mi on the left. Beware of ATVs.

It's about 210 yds to the back at floor level and maybe another 25 up on the bench. Be safe.

I put this in my Bookmarks so I can look to see if the quarry is open for shooting. Go early, and if it gets crowded or unsafe just leave. Sheriffs do cruise through.

I put this in my Bookmarks so I can look to see if the quarry is open for shooting. Go early, and if it gets crowded or unsafe just leave. Sheriffs do cruise through.

Nice, thank you @Lazyfaire! I just bookmarked it as well and love the call out the specific site if it's open are not. Wish there is a central OFFICIAL site for all that in OR.

Nice, thank you @Lazyfaire! I just bookmarked it as well and love the call out the specific site if it's open are not. Wish there is a central OFFICIAL site for all that in OR.

State wide would imply that Oregon has their sh*t together. Still waiting for that.

State wide would imply that Oregon has their sh*t together. Still waiting for that.

well... true... LOL!

But i'll tell you this, coming from CA, OR is much better! I was not a gun owner previously (in CA) and always used kids as an excuse. But now, it's a different story. Plus, I am glad that I have a supportive wife that's okay with me teaching my boys about firearms.

well... true... LOL!

But i'll tell you this, coming from CA, OR is much better! I was not a gun owner previously (in CA) and always used kids as an excuse. But now, it's a different story. Plus, I am glad that I have a supportive wife that's okay with me teaching my boys about firearms.

"you'll shoot your eye out" #ralphie

well... true... LOL!

Curious, where did you learn?

A California family member was just for the first time talking about getting a gun. He said he was saving and had a small budget of about $300 right now. He wanted a Glock but was thinking about a shot gun.

I told him his budget should be okay for a shotty, but maybe a hand gun, if you only had one gun would be better. I told him I had two handguns that were Ca legal but neither were 9mm. Then I told him the basic process for getting a legal gun in California. Keep the money you have for forms, ammo and range practice.

First he politely declined. Then I guess he checked today. I got a text saying he was interested.

@Martini_Up, not sure what you mean...

You said you weren't a gun owner in CA and now in OR you are. You said you're now teaching your kids about firearms. Where did you yourself learn about firearms? It's a common question we ask on this site and somewhere there's a open thread where we all share where we learned. Seeing you were a relatively new firearm owner and now teaching your own kids, was curious and asked.

You said you weren't a gun owner in CA and now in OR you are. You said you're now teaching your kids about firearms. Where did you yourself learn about firearms? It's a common question we ask on this site and somewhere there's a open thread where we all share where we learned. Seeing you were a relatively new firearm owner and now teaching your own kids, was curious and asked.

Ahh... i used to do competition rifle shooting in my high school days... then i had many family friends would take me to the range with their firearms (they knew i enjoyed competition shooting). but to think about it now, I think they wanted to know that I wasn't being stupid about firearms. ha! And that was more than half a lifetime ago... LOL! after i started college i haven't touched firearms since, right up till right before I left CA. being in CA, you always have to watch safety videos and basic in-person training (at least the ones I've been to). Up until now, I was actually not all that familiar with guns on makes and models really, and limited exposure on all different kinds of calibers. Most familiar with .22 when i started... Range visit with family friends shot mostly handguns with most memorable with .357.

As for teaching my boys, i've started with gun safety rules and basic firearm components. they know we have it at home and are locked. I don't think i would let them shoot anything until i feel like they are mature enough to have the respect for firearm. even then, i would have to do a lot of 1:1 session before taking them both out with me at the same time. my basic believe is to better teach them young so they know what to do, than to have them come across without me being there and get hurt.

As for teaching my boys, i've started with gun safety rules and basic firearm components. they know we have it at home and are locked. I don't think i would let them shoot anything until i feel like they are mature enough to have the respect for firearm. even then, i would have to do a lot of 1:1 session before taking them both out with me at the same time. my basic believe is to better teach them young so they know what to do, than to have them come across without me being there and get hurt.

I would change one thing. I always took all my kids out together, as they can only benefit from watching their sibling learn. Of course only one shooting at a time, but the other(s) watching and listening to safety tips and instructions. And even after the first shooter is done, that child gets to listen and watch the second shooter. It just adds to their safe learning experience.

I would change one thing. I always took all my kids out together, as they can only benefit from watching their sibling learn. Of course only one shooting at a time, but the other(s) watching and listening to safety tips and instructions. And even after the first shooter is done, that child gets to listen and watch the second shooter. It just adds to their safe learning experience.

Thanks for the comment. How old were your kids when start taking them out together? I worry a bit as my boys are still very young (9 and 7) and I don't want to risk of one running around while I focus with the other. I was thinking of at least take them and drive by these areas to start showing them what it's like.

Obviously teaching kids is new to me, so all comments are appreciated, especially from parents. It's a little different from instructor vs. parents IMO just as I am trying to teach them school work at home vs. teachers from school. Ha!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top