JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How fast do you have to be going in a 35mph zone to split a deer in two???

If add the speed of the deer and the speed of the car, the combined total speed could be enough to do quite a bit of damage to both. I've seen some deer come out onto the road at speed and they are moving pretty fast. Just be glad it's not a moose... in most cases when you hit one of those, the car does not drive away.

Oh, Idaho may be getting an influx of West coasters, but it also is getting a good number of people from South and East of the state... and unfortunately, I'm sure Idaho has their share of internal trashers as well. We all have them.

Mike

Have you been out to Browns Camp yet? Google earth coordinates are: 45.6097, -123.3626
It's a big gravel pit - you can drive a passenger car up there - just dodge the potholes on the gravel road. I haven't been there in a couple of years - there is a bulletin board with a few rules - seems like one rule was no explosive targets (don't want to start a forest fire) - don't know about steel. Per Google Earth the pit is about 200 yards long. You can drive right up to where you shoot - for example you could back a pickup in and shoot off the pickup. If there is gravel excavation equipment in the pit you can't shoot there. There are other places nearby that I've used - not sure what the rules are, but you'll see old targets at the other places (I try to pack out some of it). During the week you might be the only one there. I have seen law enforcement patrolling the roads back there - not sure what for - ATVs? Hunters? Firewood cutters?

Here's a question for those who shoot at Browns Camp - when you shoot there - and you want to walk out and look at your targets, do you:
a) lock gun in car
b) leave it out near car
c) carry it with you
d) leave a shooting partner to guard stuff while you go

I've never heard of anyone snatching a gun from a place like that, but I guess it could happen.
If it were me I would definitely holster it if it was my conceal carry, or carry it if it was a rifle. I don't like leaving my weapons period, and especially if it is my CC - it stays with me at all times. Just my personal preference though having had a gun stolen from me. It can happen very quickly and then you have a weapon out there with 'your' name attached to it.

I always carry, open or concealed. Rifles/shotguns etc I lock in the car when I would go downrange. No reason to make it easy for them. Just be smart about it. You'd be 100+ yards away and unable to do anything about it.

When shooting in a public area one should never be unarmed. Regardless of what you're shooting, one gun should always be handy, and loaded. If you decide to shoot your carry gun, you should load anther first and make sure it then becomes your carry gun while you're shooting.
Don't ever go down to your targets without your carry gun, and don't leave whatever you were shooting out where anyone could quickly grab it and drive away. All this only applies to these public areas, as gun clubs and ranges haven't got the problems public areas have.
Back many years ago I was shooting over near Mist, Or. when a truck came hauling up into the clearing, and came at me full throttle. I was uncertain of their intent, and the closer they got without slowing down, the more concerned I got. As they slid to a stop 20' in front of me, both doors opened and two guys jumped out looking very aggressive, and agitated. I finally drew my sidearm and yelled to halt; which they did. They then calmed down quickly, and said they didn't want any trouble, but were concernd I was shooting up their targets.
So all this aggressive posturing just because they were concerned about some darn targets? Anyway, things calmed down, and I explained to them that they should be more careful about how they approach an armed person who is alone. Then it was like a light bulb went on, and they realized what they had done.
We actually ended up shooting together, and they were pretty nice guys. But it could have just as easily been two morons planning to do me harm, and steal my guns. You just never know who you'll run into at public areas, and the fewer areas we have, the more the concentration of morons.

When an rare I do shoot at the pit all my guns are locked up but the side arm I'm wearing and the rifle or other pistol I am shooting. I don't trust turning my back for a moment while leaving things out or unlocked.

I tend to be fairly trusting, especially with fellow firearm enthusiasts. One of the last times I was out at Browns Camp, I actually let a father and his two kids have a go with my M&P 22 Compact for a good while. Spotted him with a 22 rifle and 9mm pistol and figured the latter could be a bit intimidating and turn the young shooters off to handguns.

That said, it never hurts to be cautious. Any time I go out shooting on public land, it's always in a 2-4 person group. Even if you only bring one pistol and/or a longarm and opt to bring them with you when you go downrange, you're still probably going to leave other gear (rounds, magazines, rangefinder, etc) in/near your vehicle. Only time I've ever felt uneasy about my gear was when a somewhat iffy couple came by to collect brass. Large majority of the ones I've dealt with have been good people and nice to BS with: reloaders or people with at least some firearms knowledge/interest. This particular couple just seemed squirrely and very minimal/not too keen on conversing. They gave a wide berth to everyone's vehicles/equipment, but the discomfort from the 3 groups there was palpable.

Really though, theft/security is just a secondary reason for having at least one buddy along. And it pales in comparison to the big one: safety. If, God forbid, something goes awry (and no - not just firearms related) you want someone else there you trust to help handle the situation. Whether that's just having an extra set of hands for packing, an extra cell phone in case yours dies, or worse case scenario, someone to apply emergency first aid and drive out... it's just a good idea to be out solo.

Last Edited:
Anyone lost a CZ Scorpion mag in the tillamook forrest? Message me how many rounds it was and where you "lost" it. I'll gladly return it to the owner!

Have you been out to Browns Camp yet? Google earth coordinates are: 45.6097, -123.3626
It's a big gravel pit - you can drive a passenger car up there - just dodge the potholes on the gravel road. I haven't been there in a couple of years - there is a bulletin board with a few rules - seems like one rule was no explosive targets (don't want to start a forest fire) - don't know about steel. Per Google Earth the pit is about 200 yards long. You can drive right up to where you shoot - for example you could back a pickup in and shoot off the pickup. If there is gravel excavation equipment in the pit you can't shoot there. There are other places nearby that I've used - not sure what the rules are, but you'll see old targets at the other places (I try to pack out some of it). During the week you might be the only one there. I have seen law enforcement patrolling the roads back there - not sure what for - ATVs? Hunters? Firewood cutters?

Here's a question for those who shoot at Browns Camp - when you shoot there - and you want to walk out and look at your targets, do you:
a) lock gun in car
b) leave it out near car
c) carry it with you
d) leave a shooting partner to guard stuff while you go

I've never heard of anyone snatching a gun from a place like that, but I guess it could happen.
200 yards someone told me it was 100 yards good to know

I'm out at Browns Camp shooting about once a week for work, unless it gets busy. It's a nice place to shoot when there arent many folk around, but I'm always looking for somewhere closer to Banks and more private for when I need to get some work pics taken and a few rounds off.

After exiting the highway, go towards Browns Camp, and when you get close there is a T with a stop sign. Turn right towards the gravel pit instead of left towards Browns Camp. It's a short way down. I like it but it tends to close for gravel mining at unpredictable intervals. There are a couple spots close by I'll go to in that event. It's a cool spot. Good long distances to shoot and if you get there early (before lunch haha) then there is usually lots of room. Bonus points for off road atv & motorcycle spotting in the area.

I'm heading out there in a couple few weeks to try out some new toys if you want a tour. Let me know. Thanks.
How are the roads? any pavement or all gravel? I don't have a 4 wheel drive.

How are the roads? any pavement or all gravel? I don't have a 4 wheel drive.
I live in Tigard and used to go out to Brown's Camp. I check this site before I go. Target Shooting

Scroll down and it will say if it is open or closed. Distance from up top is about 220 to the bottom of the far wall and about 250 up on the bench. I used to go early (by 8 am) to avoid people. Just not fond of people walking around me when I am shooting. Most people are very nice and will talk guns but sometimes I just get 'itchy' and pack it up. Many people on this site are the ones who go out and clean up this site so please haul your trash and more on your way out. Thanks

This may sound silly but I'm trying to find somewhere near Hillsboro to shoot that doesn't need a truck. I've got a 350z and wondering if it could make it up to browns camp??

This may sound silly but I'm trying to find somewhere near Hillsboro to shoot that doesn't need a truck. I've got a 350z and wondering if it could make it up to browns camp??

There are spots you can hike into, roads aren't to bad I have taken a mustang gt and honda civics through there

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top