JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lived in Tillamook in the late 60's early 70's and rode motorcycles up there and went shooting too. Back then it was mostly locals who went up there to shoot. It has been a popular spot for trail riding for a long time. As I recall, there wasn't a bit of trash out there at that time. Since it was locals who rode and shot up there, they always kept things cleaned up. Kinda like keeping your back yard squared away. These people who leave this trash makes me wonder if it was their back yard would they leave it such a mess?

I lived in Tillamook in the late 60's early 70's and rode motorcycles up there and went shooting too. Back then it was mostly locals who went up there to shoot. It has been a popular spot for trail riding for a long time. As I recall, there wasn't a bit of trash out there at that time. Since it was locals who rode and shot up there, they always kept things cleaned up. Kinda like keeping your back yard squared away. These people who leave this trash makes me wonder if it was their back yard would they leave it such a mess?
Your Yard JPEG.jpg

I too rode dirt bikes and bubblegum my guns in the Coast Range back in the 60's, 70's and even 80's. And there wasn't a bunch of garbage, or empty brass and shot up crap found. But the issue became compounded when they began shutting down many areas in the Coast Range to all public access. Once everyone was forced into one or two areas the concentration of garbage, and debris also became worse.
Almost all my friends and I rode dirt bikes and took our firearms along also when we headed there. We always took a riding break, and spent time shooting over our weekend trips. But if you drove to a spot to shoot and someone was there already, you simply went down the road further and set up. That all ended when they began closures, and that's when the problems began.
Same thing happened East too, as people living in Portland could go either way to ride motorcycles or shoot. But those areas also closed down, driving even more people West to just a couple places they could ride and shoot.

With the huge increase in gun sales, we get a huge increase in target shooting on public lands. The results are a huge increase in trash in the forest. Combine that with a huge increase in everyday illegal dumping!

Forest agencies are not able to keep pace with it. It may be easier for them to just close it down in some areas (which will only move the problem somewhere else).

But if we get involved in the maintenance of shooting sites, agencies are most likely to leave it open. (Remember, if we don't tell them about our little cleanup efforts, they won't know that we are actively involved. So call them whenever you perform some of your stewardship magic.)

We gotta get back to large group cleanups! And lots of them all over!

Bill

It's not just city folks that drive 45 miles out of the city to dump trash. A lot of rural folks have been soiling their OWN sand boxes for years. Since I was old enough to turn the throttle on a two wheel motorized bike I've played in the out doors, well away from "Cities". Seen plenty of dumping ever since the mid '60s. Just sayin'.

4 wheeling at browns Camp and a short video clip of the shooting pit towards the end of video

You know there's an easier way to get to that pit? Right? :D

I presume the shotgun hulls at the bottom of the hill there now are about 3' deep? The place was a total crap hole last late October when we were out there mushroom hunting. I doubt any of the slobs that shoot there decided to do anything about it?

It was the trailhead scene. Vehicles are prohibited on walking trails. You could actually get fined for that. Might want to edit those parts out.

We all relate to people in different ways. VietPho has his thing goin on and he relates to his followers. Although it's different from my thing, I still enjoy seeing his vids. The music certainly isn't my thing but I do enjoy a little variety once in a while. And while I never use the word, the F-bomb seems to have become common language in everyday talk and music (that's the part I'm not a fan of).

I do like the connection he brings to gun ownership and responsible shooting within his generation. If he can get the message through that you can go shooting, have fun and still comply with the regs, I'm all for it. We need more VietPho's out there communicating to their peers and helping to save our places to shoot.

Thanks, man, but get rid of those trailhead scenes!

Bill

It was the trailhead scene. Vehicles are prohibited on walking trails. You could actually get fined for that. Might want to edit those parts out.

We all relate to people in different ways. VietPho has his thing goin on and he relates to his followers. Although it's different from my thing, I still enjoy seeing his vids. The music certainly isn't my thing but I do enjoy a little variety once in a while. And while I never use the word, the F-bomb seems to have become common language in everyday talk and music (that's the part I'm not a fan of).

I do like the connection he brings to gun ownership and responsible shooting within his generation. If he can get the message through that you can go shooting, have fun and still comply with the regs, I'm all for it. We need more VietPho's out there communicating to their peers and helping to save our places to shoot.

Thanks, man, but get rid of those trailhead scenes!

Bill

Hmm. Good call. I didn't know about those rules. Was just along for the ride. I will pass on this information.

Thanks!

One thing I can state about @VietPho is he is always accepting and willing to learn without pushing back. He has been on here for a bit and though he hasn't always been within the rules, he has evolved to become a responsible recreational shooter. Now he will take his lessons and become a more responsible off road user. If there are any future clean ups and he and I attend, I'd like to meet him and out a few rounds down range together.

Anyone been out there recently? Looking to take out a few new-to-firearms friends and plink some steel in the upcoming weeks. Not sure if this area is affected by the fire closures though - I believe all of Mt. Hood National Forest is...

Last Edited:
Anyone been out there recently? Looking to take out a few new-to-firearms friends and plink some steel in the upcoming weeks. Not sure if this area is affected by the fire closures though - I believe all of Mt. Hood National Forest is...
The public can no longer be trusted upon their own land. The Tillamook State forest are closed to vehicle entry.

East of the King Mountain Trailhead is closed to vehicular traffic.

The public can no longer be trusted upon their own land. The Tillamook State forest are closed to vehicle entry.

About 4 weekends ago I drove out Salmonberry rd further back there was a car in the middle of a clearcut tending a campfire....
In the middle of the day.
In 95degree weather.
No shade... Hot AF out.
Campfire ban in effect....

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top